What do clients think about dogs in studio?

TinaC

Hello Everyone! My business is only a few months old and already going strong. I have two golden retreivers (one pregnant and due in 4 weeks). My studio is in our remodeled garage. My golden, mommy to be, lies in front of the sliding patio doors while I work. The quilts that I have done so far have been well received by my customers who come into my studio and know I have my dogs. I also breed goldens as service dogs and keep an extremely clean studio. Life without my "girls" is simply out of the question!

• 1 year later...

Tina C

I dont smoke or have pets(anymore) I would let my customers know and they decide if I quilt for them or I refer them to a friend LA, I ask from my customers to make sure they remove pet hair before bringing their quilt to me or if I know they are smokers to let it air out for a few days and explain why usually it`s no problem and most customers like it that way, they know that their quilt is taken care of.

Happy quilting

Hubert

Cats and Dogs and Kids...Oh, my

I have a dog and a cat. They sit just outside the door to

my sewing room. Yeah, they would love to hang out with me.

I wouldn't mind them except they feel compelled to lay either

on my feet or behind me. Makes me crazy.

So I have a nice rug just outside the door and they greet

me when I come out of my sanctuary.

Sometimes I wish that my customers were as considerate

as we all are. I have gotten quilts from customer's who

smoke (yuck) or wear a strong fragrance (another yuck) or

both. :P

Originally posted by Linda S

Amen Tina!! I will do my best to keep pet hairs off my quilts, but my business is in my home and it's MY business and MY home. If that disturbs people, they can go elsewhere!

Linda

Ditto.

I have so many do's, don'ts and can'ts else where in my life that I am d@mned if I am going to have that in my personal life and space also. I don't need business to pay for my machine and if all I end up doing is my own quilts, fine with me.

I love my animals. They live there, deal with it. If someone has an issue with that, then I think we both would be much happier if someone else did their quilts.

Gail

It isn't the hair, the smell, it's medical. I'm an acute asthmatic and if I was looking for someone to work for me it would be a pet free enviroment. I hope none of you ever have to call 911. It's no different than being notified by your childs school to never send snacks made with peanuts .... people can and do die from allergies. You've seen signs in places "this places uses a microwave" ..... just an idea .... "dogs/cats reside in my studio".

You won't have enough insurance to cover if something happens. I realize that my note is extreme and you may laugh but it is a serious matter and happens everyday to someone. Food for thought and not to be taken lightly.

I have 2 Shelties, and here is how I handle things. When someone calls as a first time client, I let them know I have long-haired family members, in case of allergies, etc. I have not had anyone object. I keep the quilts waiting to go in a closed cabinet (an armoir) and I swiffer EVERY day.

I also have a cleaning lady twice a month. I figure she makes about the same amount of money as I do quilting for the same amount of time, and I would MUCH rather quilt.

I use Colonial Candle's air freshener "Clean Cotton" and when someone comes over, the dogs are behind their doggie gate. Some of my clients are so crazy about them, they insist I let them out. It's also good for entertaining children.

Bottom line is, if someone were to object that stongly, then, oh well. These guys are my family members. I just make sure to keep it "eat off the floor" clean, and dark quilts will get a lint roller before they go into the nice handled plastic bags I use to deliver my work.

I too am a newbie with no customers, but had to throw my .02 in. My machine will be in the open portion of my basement where my dogs will be allowed to roam. However, I have toy poodles who do not shed and if you didnt see them, you couldnt tell I have them in the house, as there are no doggie odors. They go where I go and they have no interest in quilts unless I conveniently leave them laying close to the floor :D

However, if I had a customer coming to the house, I would put them in "their" room, behind a kiddy gate and that would take care of any problems. Likewise, I would not allow them to lay on or touch a customers quilt.

There was recently a tv spot about people bringing their pets to the office. We humans keep ever longer hours, with more stress, it was all about how having their pets near kept stress levels down and produtivity up. I think its a great idea! Especially with our type of work, which tends to be very isolating by its nature. Our society is increasingly insulated to other human contact (families far away, less neighborhood contacts, etc), pets often fill a huge void. Pets are also used as therapy in nursing homes, hospitals, etc, so I dont see a need to ban them, as long as reasonable care is taken to avoid their contact with customers quilts.

Happy Stitching

Jody

I have a little Bichon dog whose "house" is under my Liberty. She doesn't shed and is a breed recommended for people with allergies. I have taught her that she simply cannot sleep on the batting hanging down from the machine--when she sees me starting to load the batting for a quilt, she looks longingly at it, sighs, and settle down somewhere else for a nap! Can you tell I love her to pieces? I haven't had any customer complaints so far, and they see her when they drop off/pick up quilts. I'm sure I will eventually, but she's my sweetie and she stays where she is!

AlayneP

I am severely & miserably allergic to all animals. I ask that my customers do not bring their quilts with pet hair. I had one that must not have read my requirements. I ended up very sick. Not worth it for me. I wish I did not have these reactions, it is out of my control. At the very least, let your customers know if you have pets. Let them have the choice. If they were to have an allergic reaction and/or hospitalized it would be very bad. It is very scary to have a reaction especially when it is not expected. We don't choose this. Believe me, if I could tolerate animals I would. My kids would LOVE to have a pet or two. I agree with Dixie.

I haven't heard of anyone ever being allergic to a child, but pets are another item altogether. My little boy is "allowed" to be in my studio (I'm his babysitter!) But he definitely knows the rules: No sticky food, only water to drink, no ink pens and no markers. If he happens to be there while a customer is with me, absolutely no interrupting!

The cat is NEVER allowed in the studio. She's absolutely adorable but she's not coming into my workplace. I even stress about her hair and dander transferring from me to a quilt so I try the best I can to keep everything neat, tidy and cat hair free. She even gets a bath on a regular basis.

Most of us quilters are working in our homes. Most people are pet owners. I don't think anyone could be entirely surprised to find out you had a pet in or around your work area but I think we have a responsibilty not to add any "unwanted qualities" to a customer's quilt.

Before I bought my machine I had a quilt done that came back reeking of cigarette smoke. It took two days of airing out before I could even bring it into the house. yuck.

Thanks for introducing this subject. ~~ Eva H.

Guest Linda S

You know, this may seem very odd, but I am also an asthmatic who is allergic to cats and dogs. I refuse to live my life without them. I am also allergic to perfumes, so I ask clients not to use scented laundry soap or dryer sheets if they are bringing me a quilt. It is my responsibility to take care of myself. If a client is severely allergic to animals and does not want her quilts to come near animals, it is her responsibility to ask if I have animals. I will then gladly tell her that she must take her quilts elsewhere. The love of my kitties is way more important than some quilting fee. You just have to have your priorities.

Linda

I would also add that I have worked outside of this business, and we had a dog at the place of employment. A black Lab, who really only came and hid under my desk in a thunderstorm, if the owner wasn't there. I loved haing an animal around while working. I have a dog, and she has to stay away from the quilts and I don't always allow her to come to the studio, with all customers, but this is my home and she is part of the family, and 90% of my customer base has animals and even live in very rural areas with many animals of their own, so it is a natural thing for them to see an animal around. Our Stella is still a puppy and still in training and they all who know her understand this, in fact are upset if I have locked her in another room.

I had a cat, who was probably my best friend, I called her my siamese twin (she was part siamese). Anyway, she passes away last summer and I have never replaced her. The cat hair was just terrible and I really don't miss that part. I gave her baths and combed her with a speacial comb, man was she a hairy cat. However, my plan is, when I am able to do quilting full time I am getting a dog. I plan to set boundries and not allow her in the quilt studio, out of respect for customer quilts. But I love animals and it almost feels lonely without one...although I sill have my DH ;)

Bichon

With respect to Alayne who owns the Bichon, my mother-in-law has one of these adorable dogs. He is the cutest thing. When she comes to visit, which is only a few times a year, she is very good to have the dog groomed just before they come. However, he is a furr ball. After just a couple of days there is hair everywhere! And, sorry, I think he stinks. :( I have to wash all my throws and blankets and Allergen Febreze everything after they've gone. I would never tell her to come without the little guy, and my little boy would just have a fit if Grandmama came without him! But he's definitely not welcome to visit my studio.

I don't think it's a personal dislike of animals for most people. It's just a matter of sinus sensitivity.

Hope I haven't offended anyone, just more to think about. "Love me, love my pet" maybe doesn't encompass all areas of our lives. I think we just have to use common sense and courtesy when dealing with our pets, quilts, customers and their issues.

PS: A friend of ours who has a real thing against cats came to visit us one time. He stayed in our cabin where our cat is free to roam. He picked her up and threw her across the room and then yelled to scare her away. He's NOT been invited back again! I'd like to make him a special quilt with cat hair for batting!

:P:D good one!! Batting from cat hair.

Since my cat has been gone I can honestly say I don't miss having an animal to take care of. I have almost decided to just enjoy everyone elses pets when we go visit. However, if my DH ever drags home a Golden Retriever, I'll take all of this conversation back ;)

Hello everyone! I've posted pics of "my helper" many times. My cat is a house cat and my millie is in the dining room. It's an open floor plan so there is no way to keep him out. He doesn't bother the quilts or try to sleep on the "quilt hammock". I let him help me trim and plan my own quilts and sleep on them when they're done.

I always vacuum a lot and run a lint roller over a customer quilt, just in case. Mom and I don't care about a pet hair or two, but I make sure I don't have any on someone else's quilt. I also don't leave customer quilts laying around. They go in a bag or a box.

I also have 2 german shepherds. They both live outside, but visit inside with me. Yes, the new one is the one who bit me and put me out of quilting commision for 2-3 weeks, but we get along great now. He's becoming my right hand man! I love him to death. He's a former K-9 (police service dog) that I'll be doing Schutzhund work with. (Yes...bite work, ha-ha!) My dogs don't get near the quilts, but life would be dull w/o them.

If someone has allergies, it's fine by me for them to go elsewhere. It's a medical concern. If they just plain don't like animals, then they can go somewhere else if they choose. I started this business so I could make my own rules. The money's nice, but I reserve the right to refuse sevice to anyone I don't like for whatever reason. I don't want to put so much of myself into a quilt for someone I can't stand. But, with that said, I've really never met a quilter I didn't like! I've also never had a customer with issues about my animals. Maybe their afraid to say anything with my K-9 in tow!:D I'm sure it will come up sometime, but I'm not changing my life or losing any sleep over the issue. (I must be getting old...don't ya think?)

I agree with Cheryl that customers should know ahead about the pets, and with Caron about keeping the place nice and clean. I have major sinus problems and am asthmatic and have 3 medications for the asthma and a breathing machine for the bad days. We also have 2 dogswho are part of the family and are my company while my DH is at work. They are allowed in my studio, so I understand that people need to be informed about them. They are such a joy and a pain!!, but we love them.

Hmmmmm. Interesting discussions - plastic boxes, soaps, talented pets, smoke, Febreeze. Thanks for the tips. My young male cat is a little too interested in moving things, so I have been keeping him out of the room. My German Shepherd guards the front door, the back door, the garage door, the quilt door, and anybody that moves. No one will come up to me unannounced. ;) His fur rolls down the hall! Shepherds really shed. Guess that is why he always looks so neat and tidy, the stray hairs jump off him.

At the quilt store I bought this very interesting pet hair sponge that feels really weird, almost sticky, and is remarkable at removing pet fur. I don't image that a client wants a furry surprise.

Vicki

I have a beautiful female Rottweiller that has visited my husband in the hospital and nursing home for almost two years now. She's pretty much welcome everywhere but in the grocery store.... and in my studio, dining room, kitchen, and living room. She does guard the front door and the yard and me. But she's not allowed in one side of the house only because I know she sheds -- a lot. We use an air purifier and a Rhumba daily. I vacuum and dust daily.

I, too, have received smoky quilts (yuk!), quilts covered in cat hair (and I'm allergic to cats!), and quilts that were stained and dirty, musky and moldy smelling. Needless to say, some folks just don't see that well, I guess, and their noses don't work anymore. God bless 'em.

Even though I'm allergic to cats, I do appreciate them and have cared for a friend's kitties when she's gone traveling. Animals are Gods give to us to care for and, well, what would life be like without them? Don't know.

But I do know that you are all right. You cannot please everyone all the time. We all have our opinions, likes and dislikes, and because we are in business for ourselves, our decisions dictate our outcomes. What may be good for you, will not work for me and vice versa.

Most folks have a negative opinion about things they don't understand or are unwilling to accept. So be it. You cannot change that. And God bless everyone that has allergies. I know only to a small degree how debilitating that can be and I really feel for those of you that are severly allergic. It's no fun and very frightening. I know you don't want to have the allergies and there's not much you can do about it.

This post have been very informative to me. I wish I had read it sooner but I'm very glad that someone picked up the thread again. Sure wish I had read about the Irish Spring trick last year.

Has anyone used the new XL, XXL zip lock bags? Would they be something good to use in your studio to store customer quilts? I have been hanging mine over plastic hangers in king size pillow cases as covers. I fold the quilts in quarters length wise and then again end to end, place them in the pillow case and hang over the plastic hanger with their customer order attached. Problem is, some quilts are too heavy for the hanger. But I've been so paranoid about contaminating them by putting them in plastic containers or bags, or storing them on wooden shelves, or even hanging them on metal hangers (God forbid they get a rust stain or snag!) that I didn't know what to do. Any ideas?

And what are the 'scented beads' from La Scenza? Not sure if I got that right. What if you're allergic or sensitive to perfumes?

Help!

Donna

Costa Mesa, CA

We have two Labs and two cats. One cat has long hair. She stays at the far end of the house from my sewing room, thank goodness. I've never seen an animal shed so much. The other cat learned very quickly to stay away from my Liberty. The first time he jumped up on it, I was ready with the spray bottle. He hates being sprayed with water. He sleeps in my chair at my sewing machine while I work. The two dogs are always underfoot. I've tripped over the yellow Lab several times because of it. The chocolate Lab sleeps on the backside of my machine, but far enough away from the machine that I don't trip on him. My house has a very open house plan so there is no way to keep them out of my sewing room. I vacuum frequently and try to be sure that the fabric and batting do not touch the floor. I also go over the quilt with a lint/pet hair remover before I fold it up and put it in a bag for pick up.

I keep the door to the guest room closed so that I don't get dog hair or cat fur in there. That is the room that I take customers to when they bring their quilts. It is right beside the front door so they don't have to go traipsing through my messy house.

Most people that are seriously allergic to cats or dogs will ask about pets in the house. I have to be very careful when my oldest grandson comes to visit because he is allergic to dogs and cats. It sets off his asthma and he has to have breathing treatments. That's another reason that I keep the guest room closed up. I clean like crazy the two days before he comes.

I never intend to be without a dog or two. However, the next dog will be small, preferably a Yorkie. From what I understand their hair is more like human hair and so they don't cause as many allergic reactions as other animals.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

Archived