Towa Bobbin Case Tension Gauge

Ema

Guest Linda S

I know some people go with the drop test, but I am one of the people who thinks the Towa guage IS worth its weight in gold. I use it on each and every bobbin I put in the machine. Helps me alot.

Linda

Put the bobbin into your bobbin case as you usually do, then place the bobbin case (handle side out) into the gauge (you'll hear it click). Pull the bobbin thread under the first little "wheel," straight up and over the second "wheel," then under the little "finger," and pull it off to the left side. The needle will register at a number on the scale on the left side of the gauge--that is your bobbin's tension. Your machine will have a "sweet tension" that it likes (determine that by trial and error). Just use the tension screw on the bobbin case to adjust until you get that tension--after that, test your bobbins every time you wind/use them and adjust the screw on the bobbin case to that number. Then you will just have to tweak the top tension for different quilt sandwiches, threads, fabrics. Whew, that was long-winded for a new poster!!

I too love my TOWA and check each and every bobbin. It's amazing how differently each bobbin can wind with the same thread. After reading many posts, it seems that the ideal number usually falls between 20-25 for most people. My machine works best with about 23. I'd start somewhere in there and then adust as necessary.

It came in very handy this weekend when I was using a variegated thread in the bobbin. That thread seems to run a little heavier, so I had to loosen my tension a little. Then when I switched back to regular thread, all I had to do was tighten back up a little to return to normal. It takes a lot of the guess work out of the equation.

Kay

I think the number has a lot to do with how you set your top tension. There are people who run their bobbins very loosely and I assume their top tension is looser as well. I run my top fairly tight. This means my bobbin tension will be tighter as well. It's all a balancing act.

Kay

Thanks for the instructions and encouragement. Is the thread suppoesed to stop being able to be pulled at the number it reads? My gauge can be pulled all the way from top to bottom of the readings, but seems to get a little harder to pull aropund the early 20's. Am I doing it right, do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my Towa and it is a little mircle. I love it. It is made in Japan and comes with instructions (very easy to use). I ordered mine from Columbia River Quilting.

I recommed this product for anyone having tension problems. :D

Archived