Hi Janey,

I don't remember a SIC code on my license. I live in the county (also called the country) and our little town does not require a business license. I wanted a license to be eligible for wholesale goods (thread & batting) for my quilting business. And of course, a business license reserves your business name. I've actually had somebody try to call their business Ramona Quilter months after I had my license. Plus the ficticious(sp?) name index keeps you from having a business name similar to another biz.

In San Diego county, our biz license is tied to the state board of equalization for tax purposes. They call it "fabrication labor" and yes, it is taxable.

I just googled it. The services industries used the SIC code (1987) but has been mostly replaced by the NAICS (North American Industry Classification System). The 2002 index was a bit sketchy but the 2007 has references to 314129 - quilts made from purchased materials. The 1987 SIC code that applied to this classification was 2392. You can start your search at:

Sonoma SIC help

I hope this helps.

You don't need to file for a business license with the IRS if you are a sole proprietor. I have my DBA and a state exempt status for buying wholesale. I pay sales tax on my sales yearly. (that just changed as I was paying quarterly). If you don't have employees, I think you may be better off as sole proprietor.

A little more confusion, sorry.

This comes from the www.osha.gov website, type in SIC Code and quilting

2395 Pleating, Decorative and Novelty Stitching, and Tucking for the Trade

Establishments primarily engaged in pleating, decorative and novelty stitching, and tucking for the trade. Establishments primarily engaged in performing similar services for individuals are classified in service industries. Establishments primarily engaged in manufacturing trimmings are classified in Industry 2396.

I hope this gets youu what you need.

bobbi

Archived