Anyone Heard from Deloa?

Sunimp

My GF and I are signed up for the classes Deloa is holding next week at Camp Mowana. We are getting rather concerned though as we haven't heard a word from Deloa since we sent in our deposit back in the spring.

We are curious as to what kind of meals will be served (we're hoping to stay on our diets), what we need to bring, is there a grocery store closeby, where do we eat on Monday night - lots of questions.

If anyone has been in touch with Deloa and can answer any of these questions - please - we're getting anxious!

Irene

You don't need to be worried -you can trust her. I've been to Mowana -it's great. Monday evening can be a problem -not too much around there...I actually did find a great restaurant named JAKES (not sure if there's more to the name than that -it's named after dogs -was really good)...can't even remember what direction I went! lol -speaking of that, make sure you have a good map and cell phone -I've gotten lost and when I asked for directions even some of the locals didn't know! maybe it's just me, but be aware! I'm not sure of grocery stores, there's probably something in the Mansfield area...btw...Shawshank was filmed at the Mansfield Prison -I've heard there are tours...they might have bread and water;)

Kitchen facilities are available -there's a stove, refrigerator and microwave -just please leave some room for my Coke!

Food is served in another cabin -pretty much camp food -plentiful.

Casual clothes -you may want/need a light jacket -although the first year I was there we had a little snow...

I'm coming for a Tuesday afternoon class -look forward to meeting you all! hope that helped a little. Rita

I do beleave that Deloa is at her daughters wedding:D So I'm sure she will call and email all when she returns. The food was good last year and if you sent in a special food menu with your class deposit I'm sure the staff will do everything they can to make you something wonderful that you can eat. I think we are on are own on Monday night for dinner but there is a fridge and micro wave for us to use in the main cabin hall. I don't really remember what we did last year... I think Dave went and picked us up something, but I can't remember what... it might have been from Jakes, I just remember it was good. Hay Irene what time are you heading out??? Did you get directions from google or are you following a road map.... I got there on my own last year and I am really BAD with direction, so it can't be toooo hard. OK I will see you all there... don't forget to bring show and tell... we all sit around in our PJ's and eat junk food while we share are quilts and stuff... it was a great night last year. Can't wait to do it again this year...:cool:

Thanks Rita - I wasn't worried about the trust issue, just concerned about what to bring, facilities, etc.

Sue - I'm following directions from Mapquest so hope they are O.K. I'm going to pick up Heidi from the airport in Cleveland on the way. I was planning on leaving around 8 - 8:30 - just hope the border isn't bad. I was down in Buffalo last Friday and there was over an hour wait both ways.

If you want to share a ride, I have plenty of room in my car and I don't think you are too far from me.

Irene

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

I just got off the phone w/Deloa. Her cell phone battery just died. Not sure if she was at home, though.

My fellow rider just cancelled going to camp, so if there is anyone from the Metro Detroit area who wants to share the drive to Ohio, please let me know.

Hi all. I did get an email from Deloa. I don't think she'll mind if I share so here is what she said:

Just a few things to know about camp.

Arrival on Monday can be anytime after 4. If you are arriving before that please let me know. Dinner will not be served that night but they will have some snacks for us. I would encourage everyone to get to know the other people there and have fun.

There is no alcohol allowed on the camp and smoking should be done outside of the buildings.

They usually have a snack for us each evening along with our meals.

Bring something for Tuesday show and tell. Something quilted and something unquilted. It is an excellent opportunity to bring a quilt top that you have no idea what to do. Make sure to bring something to take notes, there will be lots of ideas and you won’t want to miss a one.

Bring all your bathroom items, towels, soap, shampoo,etc. They will have the linens on the beds but you need any other personal items.

They will have coffee and other drinks available all day but as those that have been there before know---I don’t know how to make coffee so we will have to assign an early riser to do that.

I can't wait to meet you all.

Heidi

No worries for the coffee drinkers... I will be bring a large tin of Tim Hortins Coffee and I usually have the first pot brewed before anyone else is even awake. Don't forget your cameras you will meet lots of new friends and see lots of wonderful quilts and the grounds are beautiful for any nature lovers. See you all there on Monday !!!

I'm leaving tomorrow for DeLoa's workshop in Mansfield and can't wait for all the new information that will be coming my way. I did not receive a supply list or info on what to bring. Does anyone know if the instructors or the retreat organizer supplies some muslin, fabric, batting, etc for the hands on classes. I may just throw some extra in the car in case it is needed. Should we bring our own scissors, pins, etc. Just want to be prepared. This is my first hands on instruction so I don't know what to expect.

Pat

DeLoa emailed me and said to bring towels and washcloths. You will not need bed linens, they are supplied. You also need to bring your own toiletries and it is supposed to be in the 90's on Monday, then 70's on Tuesday with a chance of rain. Wed. and Thurs. are in the 60's so bring a jacket for the mornings and evenings. It is also a good idea to bring an umbrella and an extra pair of shoes as we walk through the woods to get to the cafeteria where our meals are served. I bring colored pens and a notebook with blank pages, also a kids doodle tablet of newsprint is used in Jamie's class. You should also bring a finished quilted project and an unfinished project for show and tell, which is lots of fun. Be prepared to stay up talking and making new friends. I really enjoy it. This will be my third year going and I am sure you will not be disappointed. Can't wait to meet you all. (You do not need to bring scissors, pins etc. unless you are working on a project of your own in the little bit of down time we have. Last year I finished hand sewing the binding on a quilt so I brought a needle, thimble, thread and scissors; but you get a little pair of scissors that attach to your top so they are handy for thread snipping and you don't have to worry about losing them. Have a safe trip and I'll see you tomorrow evening.:D:D:D Janet

Archived