HELP!!! Tension TOO loose...

kimjohny

I am a newbie and have finished a quilt for a Chinese Auction. I thought I had checked my tension and now that I am done quilting I see that my tension is too loose. I know I have to rip all the quilting out but how do I go about reloading and quilting the quilt again? Do I baste it on the frame and then rip out the quilting? I want this quilt to be a proud effort as I am donating it in my son's name for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. The loose tension makes this impossible. :(

Kim

Hi Kim

So sorry that you have to frog a quilt. Are you going to have to take every last bit of stitching out? If so, I'd take it off the machine, find a good comfy chair with good lighting, your favorite seam ripper, a good movie and some chocolate. If I only have a little bit of ripping I'll do it on the frame, but a whole quilt that way would cause my back great pain.

Next time I'd suggest doing a tension check with a piece of scrap batting and make a small "sandwich". Put your machine in the manual mode, and pretend that you are quilting on a DSM. Move the fabric, but leave the machine head. This way you don't have to load the scrap sandwich. Take some stitches, be sure and do a good meander so that you can see what curves look like, then pull it out and turn it over. Once that looks good, try a tad on the sides of the quilt, but only through the extra batting and backing, not the top. Advance the quilt, and take a good look at your tension on the back. Once you are happy with that, quilt the whole thing without fear, or at least much less fear.

Good luck with the ripping, I'll be thinking of you.

Beth

Hi Kim

I'm sooooooo sorry to hear you have to frog a whole quilt, but if the tension is toooo loose it should frog easily, much harder to rip out stitches that are toooo tight. You shouldn't have to baste the quilt, when you finish taking out all the quilting I would suggest you just remount the layers the same way you would had it never been quilted before, if the holes from the first set of stitching still show after you have re quilted it, just sprits with water and pop it into the dry for a tumble... the quilt will be good as new... actually even better as it will have been quilted twice as nice LOL... remember to pick from the BACK of the quilt when ripping out the stitches, that way if you nick the fabric you just need to replace the backing. To make it go quicker I suggest inviting your stitch group over for a little wine and cheese picker party LOL that way it won't seem so bad, and you get to spend the day or evening with a group of quilters who understand ;) and want to help... good luck, let us know how it all turns out.

Archived