A funny thing happened in a quilt shop

I am going to experiment with dyeing some of my own fabric and have been reading about all the necessary stuff needed to be sucessful and I went on a hunt for PFD (prepared for dyeing) fabrics. I happened upon a quilt shop that was having 30% off all fabric for the day and of course wandered in and asked if they had any "Prepared for dyeing" fabrics. The salesperson had a very stange look on her face as she said "Do we still wrap people like that?" So then I explained that I was going to dye my own FABRICS and then she was laughing at herself for thinking I wanted fabric for dying instead of dyeing. Obviously they did not have the fabric, but lots of other good stuff.

Have a great Mother's Day. Hope to meet lots of you in Kansas.

Cheers

Carola

Guest Linda S

Ha! :P Isn't language a funny thing! Are you sure you're planning to make fancy fabrics, or are you secretly creating a mummy? ;)

Linda

What a hoot.....still grinning.

But I wanted to share with you Carola that you don't need to use the GREAT PFD fabric if you just want to practice and decide if you really like the process. The only real difference between the good PFD fabrics and the Great ones is the thread count, so any good good quality muslin will work.

However, if you really want to make a expression use the cheaper tone on tone printed white fabrics that you can get at any fabric store (good quality thread count and handle)...they all have a certain amount that they sell at the end of year sales or can't seem to move because the print isn't something appealing to all. I did this and cooked up a rainbow of colors and hand dyed fat quarters and gave them as presents one year for Christmas. The tone acts like a resist so doesn't color at the same rate as the backgrounds and you get a beautiful marbled fabric that any quilter will want in his/her stash.

If you use a good quality tone on tone you can even flip this fabric and use the back side so you get a two for one deal, (solids and printed)

Hope you have fun dyeing fabrics, its a blast, messy but fun.

Bonnie

Archived