Bobbin Thread

I am impatiently awaiting delivery of my machine and so am swotting up like mad on all sorts of info. This site is really helpful for that.

I have a question about bobbin thread. I notice there are a lot of prewound bobbins for sale. My limited understanding is that it is better to use the same thread top and bottom and also why would you want to use any old thread for the bottom which is just as visible.

My machine does not come with a winder so do I need to purchase one or does one generally use these prewound bobbins?? I'm a lttle confused!!

Chris

The best bobbin thread is Bottom Line by Superior Threads; 100% polyester, 60 weight. If you have a business, you can order it wholesale from them. It's available in prewound bobbins, or cones (wind your own). It is very thin, so more fits on the bobbin (don't have to change as often) and it sinks into the backing fabric so it's not as visible.

Another good option is So Fine, also by Superior. It's 100% polyester, economical and comes in a lot of colors also. It's a little heavier than the Bottom Line.

Website is http://www.superiorthreads.com/

If you have a machine that has tension issues, you would want to have the same COLOR in top and bobbin, so that the pokies don't show through (the top thread showing on the bottom, or vice versa). APQS is very good about not having this problem; Gammil tends to have this problem.

If you're going to use different weights of thread in the bobbin, consider ordering a second bobbin case - this way you can set the tension for Bottom Line in one, and for another weight of thread in the second.

I have a bobbin winder with my machine, but I believe APQS now has a stand alone winder that a lot of people on the forum have liked. You could order it from APQS.

Julia

I'd recommend you try a sample using different threads if you can, so if you don't like the look of something, you don't have a bunch to waste. Everyone seems to rave about Bottom Line and I can't find much I like about it. It seems to show up much more than I had read, it is very difficult to wind on the bobbin and it slides off the cone if you don't keep a thread net on it. However, I can't say enough good about SewFine and the metallics are very nice. It's different strokes for different folks. Just try first.

I have a Millenium with the onboard bobbin winder, and I have used Bottom Line almost exclusively since I started quilting in the spring. I don't have the problems that Victoria seems to have - have never had to use a net, never had problems winding the bobbins - and I find it sews beautifully top and bottom. But like she says, try a few different types/weights of thread and see which ones you and your new baby like. Superior Threads has a Longarm Sampler Pack, with a spool/cone of pretty much everything they stock - it's a good place to start.

Thanks for the input so far.

Dawn - I will be getting a Lenni WHEN they start shipping it (any insider info?) I didn't think it came with a winder but I could be mistaken.

Is the thread on the prewound bobbins of a lesser quality and if so why is it OK to use on the underside of the quilt.? Interesting that Victoriasews doesn't like Botom Line when as she rightly says, lots of people rave about it.

There are a lot of popular cotton threads in use but most of the prewounds are polyester, would you therefore mix them? I have never done this on a DSM!

I like the idea of having more than one bobbin case in order to get the tension right for a particular thread. Are they expensive?

Oh so many questions

Chris

Hi Chris/quilting midwife. I'm Yvette in the UK , Woking. If you're not too far away maybe we should get together when you have your machine. Mine is on its way. If you send me a U2U i will send you my phone number. It might be nice to know someone locally going through the same things at the same time.

Chris,

Be sure to check out "APQS Quilting Forums » Ask The Expert - Thread, Needle, Bobbins," 'cause there's lots of info there about using cotton vs. poly, using different threads top and bottom, all sorts of useful information. You might have to sift thru the posts to find all the best info, but it's there!

The prewound bobbins from Superior are all Bottom Line, full quality - and this is the thread recommended by APQS! I can't tell you what they're like, since I tend to wind my own bobbins, but I hear they're wonderful - and there's more thread on the bobbin than we can wind ourselves.

The bobbin case for a Millennium is only $9.95, so I can't imagine Lenni's will be any more than that.

Good luck with your new machine! And your research beforehand...

Guest Linda S

I wind my own. I've had nothing but trouble (and gopher guts) when using pre-wound bobbins. I also use whatever I think will look best on the back of a quilt. Lots of times it's Bottom Line, but I use Sew Fine, Rainbows, Arc Poly, etc. My machine has never met a thread it didn't like.

Linda

I recently purchased some prewound Bottom Line Bobbins for my Ultimate II. It did not like them!:(

Are there any tips for using the cardboard sided prewounds?

I finished the quilt winding my own aluminum bobbins. Running at approx. 18 on my Towa gauge.

Any ideas on using the prewounds appreciated as I bought several colors of them---Thanks!

Hi Angie (Sparkle)--

I use BL pre-wounds almost exclusively--love 'em.

Insert the bobbin in the case correctly--you know, pulling the thread will spin the bobbin clockwise.

After you know the bobbin is inserted correctly, tear off the outside cardboard. Leave the inside one, though.

The bobbin should sit a little "proud" in the case--sticking out a little--maybe a sixteenth of an inch? If it doesn't poke out a bit, pry the backlash spring "fingers" out a tiny bit.

I run mine at about 17 on the Towa gauge but I also run my top thread a little loose, too.

Hope you can make them work. They hold so much thread and last for a long time. But I guess self-wounds would be the same. Nice to meet you last month!

Chris,

Your Lenni WILL have a bobbin winder with it. As for the extra bobbin cases, Barb is right--they run $9.95 for one. I have about four of them, each set for a different type of bobbin thread.

I use many different threads in the top and/or bottom. You can mix and match top and bottom threads, colors, etc. Well, let me clarify that a little--the machine can handle a variety of combinations: cotton on top, poly on bottom; invisible on top, invisible on bottom; metallic on top, poly on the bottom, etc. The issue is understanding how the threads work together, and how the tension must be adjusted to suit the project you are working on.

Now, every quilter will have an opinion/rationale for using or not using a combination of thread. Start with what you are comfortable with, and then go from there. You will receive about a half-dozen pre-wound bobbins to get you started, along with some empty bobbins so that you can wind your own.

In addition, I am feverishly writing the Lenni manual to include LOTS of info about thread, tension, batting, etc., so don't feel like you will be out on a limb by yourself!

Shipping of the first ones should happen very soon; I know that it seems like a long way off, but the APQS crew wants to make sure everything is right the FIRST time, instead of sending something out that is of inferior quality just to meet a deadline. I know you'll appreciate the extra time and care they put into hand building each machine.

Let me know if we can help with other questions you may have!

I have been using the prewound Super Bobs from Superior threads ( wound with Bottom Line), because I RARELY ever have a problem with them. I DO check the bobbin thread with the Towa guide EVERY time I put a new one in. This will let me know if there is a bit of fuzz stuck some where that affects the flow of the thread.

On occasion I will wind thread on one of the aluminum bobbins I got from APQS so that I have a thread that matches without having to buy a whole bunch of them for just one project. I have found that there is less problem winding bobbins myself if I use one of those net covers over the cone. I have 5 bobbin cases, each marked with a different color of Bev's nail polish so I know which one is for which kind of thread.

All of the threads from Superior Company are high quality threads. It is not a matter of the bobbin thread being of lesser quality.

I wind my own bobbins because I like to match my threads.

For neutral thread colors I've been using lots of Presencia 50 wt. on top and bottom. It's a beautiful 3 ply cotton thread with almost no lint and very smooth--no problems with nubby thread. The reason for neutral is that they have a limited number of their colors available in cones--wish they had all their around 200 colors in them.

For really tiny background fill their 60 wt. is perfect.

I also use alot of Sulky Blendables and use a 40wt or 50 wt. Aurifil, or Superior"s Masterpeice in the bobbin since I prefer to use the main color from the variegated in the bobbin.

Bottom line is nice but since I try to keep cotton with cotton and poly with poly I use it both on top and bottom when doing SID and tiny fillers. It comes in lots of colors so that's a real plus.

jeri

Hi Linda and everyone contributing to this bobbin thread discussion. I will try removing the outer cardboard as you described Linda. Thanks for the tip! I have never used pre-wounds before, but want to learn how they work in comparison to what I would wind myself.

I use the newer aluminum bobbins from APQS with Bottom Line. They work great, but I had heard that prewounds were so nice.

It was wonderful meeting you Linda---and the rest of the APQS members and instructors at Innovations. I would have stayed there another week at least! if possible. We found some great places to visit and eat at in and around the conventions center. Never did make it to the theater district. Maybe next time.

I just returned from a quilt retreat in Healdsburg, CA that I have been going to for several years. Started a new quilt. Judy Martins' "Fanfare to Heros"---It is a challenge, but I do have the Lone Star middle section completed. That's a good feeling---I'm on my way around that large center now. Rain here in No. Calif the last few days....we need it.

Archived