Newbie here with questions...

Ok - I've been dreaming of buying a Millenium for ages now and I'm hopefully getting closer to actually doing that. My hubby and I were discussing things last night such as where in our house I would set up the machine, table etc... I had originally thought out basement but my hubby made a suggestion that I just can't get out of my head. He suggested maybe building a small studio onto the backside of our house. It would have to have an outside door because we have a quad level house and where I would put this is right where the split level is.

Anyway - to get to the point. How big would I ideally want to make a studio? I would ultimately like to move my home machine in there also. So if you could build a studio how big would you want it? :)

I have a studio above the garage. It is a good size space, approx 20' x 22'.

I have DSM with costom table, 6' x 7'. Made for quilting before I got my LA. I have an extra large ironing board, cutting table, and computer desk.

Bookshelves, drawers and TV/Stereo. Bathroom. :D

Great room but I could use more space for batting storage and odds and ends and I would like a bigger cutting table.

So, I woulld suggest making it as large as you can. It seems that many things we need are large items and take up lots of room.

I hope this helps.

Guest Linda S

Ooo! Sounds like you have a great husband!! ;) I have the smaller Liberty and my studio is about 15' x 25'. It's still a bit small, but it works out okay. I have everything in it I could want, including my sewing machine, but I would like to have more room for rolls of batting.

Linda

Wow I feel cramped! I had to put my Ultimate in the upstairs room over my mom's garage. The 12 foot table had to go in through the window (a comedy I wish I had taped for "Funniest Videos" and my DH and DD(dear Daddy) have explained why I can't move it again! Anyway, the room is 12x20 and I have room for a storage cabinet, two sewing machines, a tv and a chair for DD to come visit.

Happy sewing!

Teresa

I know I'm a packrat but I have my machine in a room that's about 18 x 22 (12 foot table) and it is CRAMPED!! I have a couple of book cases in there; one for books; one for thread storage. I have two storage units where I store customer quilts. At home I had my machine in a room that was about 30 x 36 and I felt that was smaller than I'd like.

Ideally, if I could have anything I want, I would have about 40 x 40 and have my sewing machine, design wall, cutting table, a place for the computer, printer, etc. I could have a big walk in closet away from the sun and baby powder for my fabric/thread stash.

But for now, I have one year in thix 18 x 22 room . . but who's counting the days? ME!!!

Judy,

I have an easy solution to getting the baby powder aawy from the quilts and thread. SELL THE CHILDREN, lol.:P

Seriously, though, I just got a liberty on a 12 ft table, and I took over our old kitchen (we moved it 1 yr ago because it was too small). The room is only 12X14 and the only way into the basement is through that room! Talk about cramped! But I would rather be cramped than not have a machine. I am reading with interest because if I can make a go of it DH says he will convert one half of the barn into a sudio. Lots of work and money though..................

Good luck!

Caron

Caron: Good solution BUT . . it's me who loves the baby powder. My 17 year old son would surely run away from home if I expected him to use baby powder!

You are so right, cramped is better than no machine!

Have you tried playing with graph paper and the dimensions of all the things you would eventually want (NEED) in your studio? I have played around a few times and my husband says when the machine has paid for itself he will build me a 32 X 36 room on the end of the house with a separate entry. I currently have my machine in what used to be the master bedroom, plus I use the walkin closet for large plastic tubs of fabrics, an extra large iron board currently resides on top of my kitchen table (all the time) and extra batting is stored in 'the kids room' which has a crib, a set of bunkbeds and a futon for grandkids. Plus my living room which measures 22 X 24 usually has something laying on the floor for measuring or pieces laid out for putting together tops. Yeah, my tax lady loves me. We had to figure up the square footage of all the areas I use for business. She did say one room would be great. Eventually...;)

I just wiped out my 1st reply while trying to add smiles......My "place" is a 14 x 70 mobile home, located about 300 yards from the house. I have the millinneum in the living room, caty-cornered, with room to get around. The kitchen houses the sewing machines and the ironing board. The master bedroom has 2 cutting tables and racks aound the edges with material organized in tubs. Batting and backing fabrics for quilts are in the walk-in closet.Bouquets of lavender are drying on the shower rod in the main bathroom.The other bedroom houses boxes of yarns and the closet stores finished quilts and supplies.Guess the bathrooms are underutilized.....LOL

Ideally would likea big open studio. However am very grateful for what I have.....Beverly in NC

You all are so lucky to have found a home for your LA machines. When I moved into my condo 3 years ago, I took over the sunroom (16 x 18 est) for my sewing room (my son calls it my playroom). We added 16 attorney cabinets (they are rectangular boxes with sliding (UP) glass doors and stacked them 4 high on one wall. I have my material color sorted and then the top 4 files have "unfinished projects - or not started". When I decided to get a LA, I gave away my dining room table and 6 chairs, and am going to rip up the carpet and put vinyl tiles down. My sewing cabinet, cutting table, and 4 sewing machines and chairs for my quilting bee will go in the old dining room. The Millie will go into the sunroom. I have two small closets at the front door that I will clear out for batting and storage of customer quilts. My younger son built a wide bookcase in the double doorway to the kitchen eating area. Now I can file cookbooks, etc. on one side and quilting/sewing books on the other side. I am lucky enough to have my mother's china cabinet - with glass shelves - and I store as many quilts as I can get in it.

I feel very fortunate to have two whole rooms and 2 closets for my dream come true......Nellie in Indiana

I've shared these before but we have so many new members since I did, I'll do it again. I have a separate house for my studio and the longarm (which in the pictures was the Ult I but now I have the Millennium) is in what would be the master bedroom. In that same room, I have two book cases, two shelf units for client quilts and my computer.

I have my sewing machine, cutting table and big ironing table in one of the other bedrooms. I now have another sewing machine, cutting table and ironing board in the family room. I kinda felt crowded in the bedroom so I mostly sew in the family room now. When we bought this house, I thought it was really big for a studio but now I wish I had twice the space!!

Anyway . . here's where I spend almost all my time: http://community.webshots.com/album/48630488kmiGgR

In the beginning we had my studio set up in our finished basement. After a while we realized that during holidays, when everyone is home, we didn't have room for them all. So we turned our house upside down. Our master bedroom is now my quilt studio. It measures approximatly 25x12 with one end being about 18x13. At the other end there is a sitting room area that is pretty small, about 8x10 or so, a bathroom and a walk in closet. I have a Millennium, with a 14' table, in the longest part of the room. In the fat end of the room, where my bed sat, is where my cutting table, sewing machines, and flannel board are located. The other end, the sitting room, is my office area. We are located in the city of Kansas City and building codes prevent us from having a seperate building out back. I actually have an ideal setup and once my business is established and business picks up, I will feel really good about moving my DH out of the "master suite" and giving it to my Mille!!;)

Wow - there are some awesome ideas here :)

JudyL - what a great playroom you have - and I love your puppy :) Doxie? We have 3 doxies and they are always either underfoot or trying to sit on my lap while I quilt :D

Mary Beth - I don't think my hubby would quite agree with me kicking him out of the master bedroom LOL. If you can't build on to your house where is your bedroom now?

I'm going for the idea of doing something with my basement right now. I have a quad level house and the lowest level basement is pretty much empty. I have my washer & dryer down there, my weight bench & excercise equipment & tons of cross stitch stuff and odds & ends that really need to be organized anyway.

I think I"ll go down tomorrow and measure out my basement - measure some of my quilting stuff and play around with one of those online room design programs :)

Judy... Your studio looks great. My husband built me two rooms in our new house in the basement. I have a Milliniuem....so the room is 20 x 24, then he built me a rack to hang my batting on and a book shelf that holds all the materials, quilt tops, and thread.

Now is just need to get my machine fixed so the thread will quit breaking. I think Connie is going to stop by and replace the hook. Another fella stopped by and sanded off the hook where there were a couple of burs, but there seems to be more of a problem than that.

It has been breaking thread since I got it and I just thought it was normal. Then I saw a new machine running at MQS in KC, and mine will not run even one time across without breaking. I am really frustrated, as it costs too much money to not have it work correctly.

I am hoping to hear from Connie next week, so we can move on past this issue.

Wish me Luck.

Barb Wetzel

Altoona, Ia.

Archived