What do I need first?

I have taken the plunge - and my Millie is bought and paid for!! Can you help with what else I need to get started? Apart from time to play with her !!! I love these Forums as they are such a mine of info. I was thinking it might help people with their Christmas shopping if I could tell them what I would REALLY like! Any suggestions gratefully received!! Thank you in advance!

Congratulations Jane and welcome!

This is purely personal preference but these things I use all the time--

Towa tension gauge ($80)

Small rectangular ruler w/ markings for SID (Dainty Ditcher-about $10)

Two bent-end curtain rods to slip under the elastic of the clamps ($4)

A fluorescent under-counter light fixture to lay across the rollers for side lighting ($14)

Mini air compressor ($90-$200)

Storage system for tools, fabric, thread, books, etc. (the sky's the limit--anything from plastic containers from the discount store to an antique armoire!)

The prices quoted are, of course, local for the USA. I am sure you will find comparable items in France or order and have delivered from the US (specialty rulers and tools)

I am sure others will chime in with their must-haves and advice.

We also need input on thought-I-needed-but-never-use items--and why you never use them. That would be very valuable for someone starting out as well.

Try to sleep all you can now as you will soon be too busy and excited for that luxury!

Things I have accrued and use include the expander base plate, square and rectangular guide rulers, plastic star, oval, and star templates, and the CL.

Now, if I was just starting out, and I was getting a wonderful machine like the Mille I would probably just get the expander base and a couple of rulers to help with linework and SID, and spend all my time learning to use my machine.

If you're into thread, go to www.superiorthreads.com and buy one spool each of King Tut, Highlights, Rainbows, So Fine, Masterpiece, and Bottom Line. Learn what you have to do to tweek your tension for each of these threads.

Just my two cents worth. I'm sure others will have more to add.

Linda, I like the idea of the fluorescent light on the rollers. I've never thought of that. Neat idea. I really need to get one of those little air compressors. I'm still using the cans of air. They last quite a while, but they've gone up to almost $6.00 a can now.

Jane,

I would be glad to come over and help you outfit your new baby!! I'd even bring over whatever you can't get there....;)

I agree completely with the expander base plate and a few basic rulers.

Where thread is concerned, Superior (recommended by APQS!) has a Longarm Sampler Pack, so you get a chance to try everything they produce. No choice of color, but stitch each one onto practice fabric to see which you and your baby prefer.

What else...a selection of pins - flathead and corsage; either a wrist pincushion or a magnetic bowl, or both; a nice seam ripper - but you probably won't need to use that ever:P Music to play while you stitch - I like Ricky Tims - he's a quilter and plays wonderful piano music; a selection of needles, extra bobbins, extra bobbin cases....

Depending on your floor surface, you might want to get those foam squares that interlock - saves the arches and knees.

I concur with Linda - sleep now while you can!

And congrats on your new machine....

Teresa ... instead of buying the air in a can for $6.00 a pop ... I went to Home Depot and bought a small Husky air compressor ... complete with the hose and all the nozzle tips for blowing air, pumping up bicycle tires, blowing up basketballs, etc. I cost me around $100 and was a great investment! I always have air when I want it, and besides the initial cost, I don't pay anything for it!!; ;)

The things I use are the expanded base with the straight rulers that came with it. Circle Lord with the GINKO template, ( it makes endless varieties of designs - I have some examples posted at the webshots address), AND, I just got my CL Baptist Fan template. Expensive but VERY worth it for me as my freemotion art still looks like a gradeschoolers drawings. I did a 50 X 60 QOV quilt in a flash with it.

I highly recommend zippers. You can get them from

http://www.longarmconnection.com/Our_Products.html

So much easier than standing next to the machine to pin the quilt on. I absolutely love them. If you need to take a quilt off, it's quick and easy to put back on. Get the full set and an extra Renter set or two (the full set has zippers for your machine and for a quilt, the renter set has zippers just for the quilt).

I would also get a few books of design ideas. Diane Epps has a great set. And a white board and markers to try out design ideas.

I also agree that Superior Threads makes the best threads - I just love them. Bottom Line, Rainbow, So-Fine, King Tut - all great.

I wouldn't go crazy with pantos and rulers - just some very basic simple ones. The extender base is good to work with the rulers.

Good luck!

Julia

JollyJane,

I would add Myrna Ficken's DVD set "Beginning Long Arm Quilting" to you list of things to get. The DVD that comes with the machine is good. Dawn does a very good job of explaining. However, Myrna's are like she is there with you. Her perky personality really makes it all look so simple.

Pamela

Speaking of an air compressor...I bought one the day after Thanksgiving a couple of years ago at Home Depot - you know that great sale where everything is dirt cheap...I got a nice Huskey for about $30.00. I love it. And it is so cute...DH tried to take it to use because it is so portable, but soon learned you don't mess with my quilting tools:)

Hi Jane,

For me the best tools I bought are the extendabase, micro driver (I like to do fine details), zippers and saddle stool. All of these I use almost every time I quilt. I think it is important for you to figure out what type of quilts you like to quilt. For instance, if you do a lot of pantos then concentrate on those. If you like traditional type quilts then invest in some stencils, a few rulers and a good video or book. Also get a white board and lots of wipe off markers...it is so great to doodle and decide what you will quilt.

Wait on buying other things until you have decided what style you enjoy and are prone to. There are some things that you don't need any tools at all for. I just went to camp and learned that if I really relax I can do a sid without a ruler! The one class I took with Jodi Robinson you mark a shape and then fill the shape which takes all the stress out of free motion for me!

Best of luck and just enjoy.

Heidi

Archived