Batting question from a newbie

A newbie on the loose...any tips on where to order wholesale batting, AND what are your favorites? I would most likely get a roll versus individual bags...any thoughts. I surely appreciate all the items I've read so far in the chat room. The Millenium gets delivered TOMORROW!

Holly, congratulations on the new machine.

If you'll do a bit of research on here, you'll find that we all have our favorites. Mine is Mountain Mist Rose or Gold batting. Others don't like it but I love it and haven't had any problems with their recent products at all. I think you'll find that there are many good battings out there so it boils down to being a personal preference - what you prefer and what your customers prefer.

I order mine directly from Mountain Mist.

Holly,

Like the ladies say, it boils down to personal preference. When I started, lo these six months ago (LOL), I talked with my local LAers and asked where they bought batting and what they stocked. Turns out we have a local LA supply here in Eastern WA - when I went to her shop, I asked what she would suggest for a newbie. She suggested Hobbs 80/20 and Hobbs PolyDown, so I bought a roll of each. It's worked well for me, most of my customers are perfectly happy using what I have, and I know it's quality stuff - and where to get more if I cut it too short!:(

Good luck with your new baby!

Holly, like the others each of us have our favorites. I like warm and natural which you can purchase at JoAnn's and Hancocks Fabric on sale for 40-50 percent off several times a year. I buy several rolls. I also love Dreamcottons which has a wholesale dept and a wide range of batting types. They have a website. Recommend you purchase several quilt size pieces and play to see which you prefer.

My favorite is Quilter's Dream Blend (70/30). I have tried the 100% cotton after someone suggested that it was their favorite, but found that it was too stretchy for me. Maybe I'm just too hard on it....besides, it shrinks too much. Like some of the others I like Hobbs 80/20 and the Hobbs Polydown, for a puffier quilt.

I find the Cotton Dream batts are stretchy too. They are not my favorite, but my customers like them. I quilt with whatever they bring me except for JoAnn's Sew 'n Crafty and the poly batt that is sold at Michaels...my machine skips stitches.

I love Hobb's heirloom cotton (organic or not organic) it is like warm 'n natural, but lighter and their 80/20. I keep hobbs 80/20 and hobb's heirloom in my house. I purchase from King's Men too. You can get an account set up with Hobb's but you need to purchase at least 4 rolls to get the whole sale price.

I don't keep any other batting in stock because I don't want to compete with the quilt shops. Part of their sales comes from batting and that helps keep them in business. So, I don't stock what they carry which usually are the cotton dream products. I have customers that prefer Hobb's batt so they buy from me and others love what the quilt shops have and they buy from them.

I have quilted on Mountain Mist low loft and their Gold (cotton) batting. They all work fine on my machine.

Cheryl

All the experts say "don't undercut the batting prices at your local Quilt Shop." I originally priced my batting at slightly over what I paid for it, as a service to my customers. When I heard the advice above, I contacted my local quilt store (there's only one within 50 miles) - she said, "I really prefer not to sell batting. It takes up too much space. Price it however you like." So be sure to check with your local shop.

Poor Holly!!! She's wondering now what to do with all this info - Here's the thing Ms. NEW MILLIE OWNER - In our area in Minnesota - we are cold....freezing - we need to be warm.

The safest best for a good supply to start out with:

one roll of Hobbs 80/20

one roll of Cotton of your choice (Quilters Dream/Hobbs)

one roll of PolyDown (Hobbs)

and if you really wanted to show off

one roll of 80/20 Wool (Hobbs)

Hobbs has a min order of 4 rolls - now you have met their requirements for wholesale.

Hope this helps you or anyone who needs a good supply to get up and running.

Barbara,

Well I've got more than 1 within 50 miles and they all sell Dream Cotton products. I was told by one shop owner that they would like the customers who left their quilt at the shop for me to pick up to buy the batting from them. It wasn't a hard rule at the shop but it still is a sale for them. The shop owner felt that is was another way for us to help support the shop too since we don't pay the shop any fee for picking up and dropping off quilts there. Yes, they often do get additional fabric sales from the customers coming in to leave or pick up their quilts.

I just go with the flow...it is no skin off my nose. It is just something to consider when starting a business and all shops are different. Besides, I would rather carry something different than all the shops in my area.

Cheryl

I started with Hobbs 80/20 bleached and an account with Quilter's Dream as you can order one batt as needed wholesale. I've been really unhappy with the quality of Hobbs 80/20 lately as it has had alot of junk in it. My current favorite is Warm Comapny's 80/20 blend. It quilts like a dream and is soo soft. I also always have a roll of Hobb's Poly Down, Quilter's Dream Cotton Select Weight, and my splurge Alpaca/Wool blend (I love this stuff) but it's a bit pricey and I haven't conviced my customers to use it yet. I also LOVE Hobb's Wool. I price mine below the LQS as I offer it as a convience and I would much prefer to use batting from a rool rather than the packages. Most of the shops here carry packages. Karen--I've missed the Hobbs Wool 80/20 must check into that one. jeri

I'll throw my 2 cents worth in. Our LQS has Warm products (cotton and poly), Hobbs various but no Quilter's Dream (QD). I buy QD wholesale on the roll and in the bag, there is no minimum. It takes about 7 days to get from Virginia Beach to San Diego and the shipping for a roll is about $20.

Here's the math part:

QD Puff (poly) $77.50 (93" x 25 yds on a roll)

Shipping 20.00

That is just under $100 for about 9 queen size batts.

I love my LQS and want them to stay open so I do not undercut her pricing even though she does not stock QD. She charges $24 for a queen size Warm & Natural poly batt. I charge $24 for a queen size batt of my QD.

So if you have done your math, you know that batting can be a money-maker. The retail price is more than double the wholesale (plus shipping) cost.

You gotta love that.

Archived