Anyone ever saved by an extra 2 feet?

I would like to order my Millie, but I am in a quandry over the 12 vs. 14 feet issue. I have room for both but I think a 12 foot frame would be easier to work around. I have a 120 inch quilt ready to go. It hangs neary to the floor on a kingsize bed. 120 inches is 10 feet, surely a 12 frame would hande it with ease. Why would I need to quilt anything bigger than a king? Is there anyone out there that is just so greatful to have a 14 foot frame that has saved them in some way?

Hi Fabric Beggar!!!!

Go to the Gone Quilting-Chat About Anything header. Scroll down to a post by hollyc that's titled "new milli owner" for several answers to this exact question.

I have a 12' table and have not come across anything I couldn't handle. Saying that, I am sure I will be contacted tomorrow by someone needing a California King quilted!! That's how it goes, yes?

Good luck with your new addition and welcome to a great place for encouragement, laughter, sharing, and--oh, yes--information!

120" X 125" was the biggest quilt I was able to do. Really, one more inch and I would have had to send it to the quilter in town with a bigger table. I had to quilt it in the direction with the longest side pinned to the rollers because of the pattern she chose.

Just did one that measured 110" X 129" [WHAT are people thinking anyway! :P] ...and good thing I could load it short (ha) sides to the rollers. 129" plus needing the backing larger than that would have been too much. It was a bear to handle all the way down the quilt as it was.

Thank goodness the season of large quilts has passed. I seem to have all wallhangings and baby quilts for the rest of the year. :) ~~ Eva H.

In the 10 years that I have been quilting I have maxed out my 12 foot frame twice....they were quilts, but spreads in nature, floor over bed to floor for a king size bed. The first one was done with a edge to edge rustic rose pattern....I was able to get the design on the spread because the design didn't need to go totally edge to edge, I had to leave I think about 5 or 6 inches on each edge, and the customer was going to roll the hem like you see on a comfortor instead of putting on binding.

The over one was one of the hand embroidery square kits and then she put a HUGE HUGE 28 or bigger outside border. This one I had trouble with...she wanted a scallop design in the huge outside border and she wanted it to be a medium meander....not hard to do except that when I would get to the bottom part of the scallop on the sides I would run out of room...my machine was bumping up against the sides and not able to get the last 6 inches of the border. Normally you would flip a quilt to do the sides of this nature, but SHE also had a huge pillow tuck at the top of the spread and there wasn't any way I could flip the quilt without folding the botton up almost 1/2 way to get some room and then reverse it to get the rest done. That was enough reason that if I EVER GET ANOTHER MACHINE it will have a 14 foot frame even if I NEVER EVER have to use it. :P:P

It can be confusing.

Standard king (aka Eastern King) bed is 76 x 80

Cal King (aka Western king) bed is 72 x 84)

Then you have to figure how you will roll it (rollers on top & bottom or sides of quilt)

Then you have to figure the drop. Is it just going to cover the top or hang over 6 -8 inches. Some of the beds come with those oversize (extra-thick or pillowtop) mattresses which can effect the drop.

My first two longarms were 14 footers. Now I have a 12 ft table. I have a king on my 12 ft machine now. It is loaded with the sides on the rollers. It is 112" long and fits, no problem. Unfortunately the client gave me a pieced back that is 110 x 134. I don't like to cut client quilts so I just neatly folded back the extra on the ends of the rollers without coming too close to the part that will actually be quilted. I pinned it on the leader right along with the rest of the backing. There is only-just about a machine-width on each end to "park". Changing bobbins and blowing out fluff takes some manuevering. I never had that problem on a 14 ft.

I have to admit that I love being able to fit my 12 ft table lengthwise in my studio. My old 14 ft table had to sit diagonally in the room. I was the only LAer with a 14 ft table. But it never really brought me any additional work having a big one. That is one of the reasons that I downsized.

Call me a "size queen" but I love my 14 foot table.

Someone who lives in this house pulls covers so I always make a king size quilt for the queen size bed that someone sleeps on!!

Plus I always tell new potential customers I have the big table and am able to quilt a king!

Size matters ladies!!:P:P;)

Archived