Attracting Customers

Just thought I would encourage some of the newbies here...I have a low confidence level as some know me could testify :) (Dawn C has tried to pump up my ego since she has known me). Any who, I drove 35 miles to a LQS to join a BOM - which I hate...too much pressure to get one block done in a month :P. I have been going for about 9 months now, and I have taken quilts in a couple of times for show and tell. I told DH that I was not going to go over there after this BOM ends, it just has not drummed up business like I had hoped. Yesterday it happened!!

One day in the class I showed a couple of customer quilts that I had not delivered yet. They all ooh'd and aah'd and asked for my business cards. I grabbed a handful out of my purse and never seen the end of them. After class a lady told me she didn't get a card so I gave her one...lesson learned..keep plenty of business cards on hand!!

Yestday, my phone rang. It was a lady from one of those classes that has seen my "beautiful quilting" (I wish we had a red smiley face). She has a 100 x 100 quilt that she wants some custom work done on - CHA CHING!!!

I tell you this, to say hang in there....and remember...If you show it...they will come ;) Don't be afraid to show off your quilting, it is better than you think...we are very close to our work and we see imperfections...they don't see them like we do.

Mary Beth--WAY TO GO!!!! It is paying off!! If you show them--they will come....watch for another post tonight so I can tell you all how my "grand opening" went today--I sent out postcards and put an ad in the paper--so we will see how many people come...more details later.

Yippee Skipee Mary Beth.....ya know when we pray for things to happen it seems like it takes forever, and sometimes it never happens....but I've often wondered when that happens if God is just waiting to make sure that we REALLY want what we have asked for. Now that he has blessed you with your wish....brace yourself, cuz take it from someone who he also answered....its going to rain:P

awesome! don't forget to bring a quilt with while looking for the perfect binding;-) and make sure your throw it open to try on colors --showing off your work in the meantime....

you will get attention for your flaunting...

also I have said this before get the book on a referral of a lifetime it will get you looking for customers places you would never dream its all about customer building and managing

Thank you MaryBeth for posting this. I was talking to a quilter friend a few days ago whining about my lack of customers and she had a word of wisdom for me. And that was something like aren't you glad that you didn't have a bunch of quilt deadlines to be done while Bill (DH) was so sick and going thru treatments. God is really taking care of you and the jobs will come. Don't worry, just keep doing the donation quilts and Practice, Practice, Practice and then practice some more. What goes around, comes around. So, I just keep working at my skills and reading your post helped me realize that one of these days, the phone will ring.....

Pat,

I'm sure you already belong to a quilt group. I have joined a quilt guild in the town next to us. They are a great group, very nice ladies. Not sure I will ever get their business, but I like spending time with them. I don't push my business on them, just take something for show and tell almost every time. They do a lot of volunteer things, so I plan to get involved there too. I think that is the key...get involved some place where you can get your name out there, and they will come.

I had a new customer call last week. She had picked up my card at the LQS along with 2 other cards. I went to her house, gave her an estimate, sat on the side of her bed while she told me about losing 2 sons; her having breast cancer; my sister dying....we just depressed the heck out of each other...then as I was leaving she put her hand on my arm and said that when she picked up the business cards at the LQS the employee pointed at my card and said, "I like that one." I don't quilt for this store, I hardly even buy anything there because it is a small store and they don't have much. But I always go in and talk to them. Like Shana said, I just be me. And "they like me, they really like me!"

Mary Beth - Whats not to like. We all like you!!!!!! Yes I do belong to a guild, a VERY BIG ONE (probaably 250 to 300 members ? ) and there are about 10+ other LA'rs so the competition is pretty fierce. I also belong to a small group within the guild of those LA'rs and they are all very nice ladies. Don't get me wrong because they are the first people I go to with ??'s, but some of them have been in business for a very long time. One gal used to own a quilt shop, then bought her machine and has been a member of the guild for a very long time. She said that she has never done a quilt for a guild member!! All her work has come thru her old customers in the quilt shop that she owned. One of the biggest quilt shops around are no longer accepting business cards to give out as there are too many LA'rs They have started a way of advertising but I missed the deadline (didn't know about it at all) and each June, they will sell a 3 to 4 line space on their monthly flyers that they put in each bag that goes out the door. But once the type has been set, they will keep it that way for 12 months. So when you pay your fee, it is advertising for a year. I could just kick myself, and wished that I would have known. But I will be ready next June with my $$ in hand in order to get that exposure. I really don't mean to whine. I know that the business will come and at the right time. I just need to keep knocking on the doors out there. In the mean time, I want to congratulate you on your new customers. GREAT JOB. and as I said, Of course we like you. Whats not to like:)

Mary Beth, good for you. I wish we had a LQS so I could go. I wouldn't mind taking some classes actually. If I ever win the lottery I'm going to open a store so we'll have one within 100 miles of us. Somebody told me there is a quilt shop in Mayfield, KY. Does anybody know about that? Judy L. maybe????

Mary Beth. thank you for posting this post. I have long admired your work and am just thrilled to death that you are finally getting the recognition and business.

Pat, my dear friend, your work is wonderful and you are so talented. I do believe that our Father who watches over all aspects of our life was taking care of you and Bill during this time. As Bill gets stronger, the customers will come. I am absolutely, positively sure of this. You are very very talented and I love and admire your work.

I don't have any customers yet, have lost two that I did have promises they were bringing quilts over, to a lady with statler Stitcher and I have been so discouraged I have drafted a for sale sign for my beasty several times, just never posted it. I know in my heart that I am just not quite ready yet for customers yet. I need to keep practicing and so I love getting my QOV and American Hero quilts. I am in a catch 22. I need to work to pay my machine payment and my business bills and so I do that and then I don't have the time to practice like I should. I guess I just needed to vent so thank you.

anyway, best wishes Mary Beth for a very busy quilting season

Bekah,

Hang in there girl. It will happen. I have been at this for 3 1/2 years now and have had days when I was ready to throw in the towel and admit defeat. Somehow things are starting to work out. The customer base that I am building now is from word of mouth, LQS, classmates I have met in classes at LQS. None of my customers are people that I knew as quilters (piecers) when I first started out, and I knew a lot of 'em. None of them are from the guilds I belong to now, or in the past. It has been hard "breaking in" in this town, but after 3 1/2 years it is finally happening. Hang in there girl - don't give up - it will happen.

Hi Susan--

What a great idea to auction your services for charity!! Put out business cards or brochures and a sample of your work to entice customers. This is also an educational opportunity for people who piece but haven't an idea what a longarmer does. The more info you can get out there, the more likely it will be that your donation will make lots of money for the charity. Have fun!

Archived