MQS 2008

Mary Beth

Shana,

There is not really a "Mary Beth Airlines" ;) However, my son works for Southwest and I must agree with Jim...we fly them all the time...free of course!! And we love them.

Jim I am on the northest side of KC without being in Smithville...where is your family...you need to yell next time you are in town.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just made my reservations at the Sheraton which is connected to the Overland Park convention Center. The MQS negotiated rate is $124.- plus taxes (internet rates are much higher) you need to call the direct at 913-234-2100

They still have rooms available but require a one day deposit for MQS attendees.

The Manchester Radisson which is connected to the MQX show is sold out.

Jürgen

Hi,

I live in Maine and will be going to the MQX in NH. My problem is that I dont know anyone else and I would love a roommate to split the room cost with. Anyone else need someone to bunk with?!? I wont be going all week, probably just Thurs., Fri., and possibly Sat. night. I also am a newbie to the world of longarms so I can\'t wait.

I am considering going to MCS, and driving from Eastern WA. Is there anyone out there who would like to share the costs of the drive, and the costs of the hotel in Overland Park? I figure it\'s a two-day drive from here (N. of Spokane) and I would be willing to meet in Spokane, if someone\'s coming from the Seattle area.

I want to go!! I wouldn\'t mind splitting a room with someone. My only problem is I snore...so you would have to wear earplugs...my snoring doesn\'t bother me:P

I also live in NC but am debating the flying idea...tickets are running about $300...

So what do I take for classes!!! Do I go visit Karen McTavish at her studio and then Dawn C in Iowa... so I can take the "business" classes at the conference? or do I take a few classes from as many teachers as possible...so many classes so little time!!!

How much spending money do I take....yes, I know that\'s a loaded question...but I have to have a budget.

Oh, Joanne, that really is a hard question. You really need to wait until the catalog comes out so you can get an idea of the classes that you want to take and their prices. There will also be kits and supplies that you will need. That information should also be in the catalog, too. If you haven\'t had a catalog before then you need to go to the IMQA website and request a catalog. When you first look at the catalog you will be overwhelmed with the classes you want to take. It took me a while to narrow my list down to what I wanted to take. Don\'t take too many classes in one day. You will be overwhelmed. My plan this year is to take no more than two classes a day. Okay, maybe three.

Plan for spending in local quilt stores. There are several good ones in the area. The area that got me was the vendors at the show. I wound up spending twice what I had planned for. Mainly, because I learned about new things in class and wanted them. If you don\'t want to use credit cards then don\'t take them into the vendor area with you! Unless you have a whole lot more discipline than I have.

Also, though some classes start on Monday, the Show and the Vendors do not open until Wednesday. I didn\'t realize that and had to catch my return flight on Thursday morning. Therefore, I shopped like crazy Wednesday afternoon and hardly saw any of the quilts in the show. I was absolutely exhausted that night and very sore the next day from all the walking and hauling around all my packages.

Two helpful hints: Take a camera with you for lots of pictures of friends and quilts. And.....if you decide to use the Show tote bag as a purse, be sure you pick up your own. And if it has a blue ribbon tied on it, its mine!:D:D:D:D

Third hint: Make sure your cell phone is charged, turned on, and with you. And that you have everyone in your group\'s cell phone number in it. If you don\'t, you might wind up sitting where you thought you were supposed to meet and everyone else will be downstairs waiting on you! Ask me how I know. Oh, and your friends home phone numbers won\'t help you at that moment.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

We have all of the airlines you listed Shana. Hope that helps.

Gosh, I\'m getting wound up now...can\'t wait to see all my old friends again....and meet my new friends...

Thanks for answering my question, Mary Beth. I like Southwest airlines, too, but the main reason I was curious about those specific airline carriers is because these carriers are mileage plan partners with Alaska Airlines and I have a gazillion bazillion frequent flyer miles with AK Air, and I would rather turn in my mileage than buy the ticket. And that way I have more $$$ to $pend buying tools, more tools, classes, more classes, hotel, meals, etc.

I appreciate the info.

Shana

Hi all,

These shows sound great! Would it be much of a waste of money to go to one of these eventhough I don\'t have my LA yet?

I\'m trying to make the best choice for what I :1. Need; 2. can afford.

My hubby nearly choked when I told him these machines can go up to 20 grand or more. I told him I would look at any over 10,000 and he said, "oh, how thoughtful of you."

I\'m not planning on making this into a business tho I might get some offers for quilting friends pieces since many have given great comments on my work on my DM.

I have some twin, queen and king quilts coming up plus several art quilts and I think it would be really great to be able to do them on a LA.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Anita and Betty (and anyone else on the way). You have my interest in going to MQX together. We would have to make reservations soon but the more that travels (with enough room to bring stuff back) the cheaper. We should do a seperate messenger chat (I have yahoo and aol) to discuss a trip. I can chat any evening except Wednesday (quilt-B). Where in Maryland? Va Beach is in line with NC. Could be a lot of fun!!!!

Marlette,

There are classes geared toward people thinking about a machine. Personally, I don\'t think it would be a waste of money or time. There are all kinds of classes...You can check out the classes on line, just watch for the class schedule to come out and see what looks good.

You do not have to be a member to attend the classes (I don\'t think), however, members get first crack at the classes, plus members get a magazine throughout the year with articles and tips - great magazine.

I love this show, but I have not been to any of the others. And, we had so, so, much fun last year - some of these people are nuts:P

Hi everyone,

If you want to learn how to digitize for your longarm machine (with or without a computer!), you just have to join my class! See information on page:

http://quilters.pre-design.eu/mqs2008.htm

We will be planning our flight from Europe to Kansas somewhere in the next week, but I need your input!! What should we see, what should we visit?

After all, we are traveling 4499 miles to teach at MQS so I really, really wanna see a lot too!

Loes

Loes,

You must try Kansas City bar-b-que, (Arthur Bryant\'s, Gates or Jack\'s Stack). There are lots of quilt shops in the area, a bunch of us get together and go "hoppin", you would be welcome to jump in and go along. There is usually a tour that is sponsored by MQS, you might check into that too.

Hey Mary Beth, was that Jack Stacks that we all went to last year. Jeanne, Renae, Carla, Tammie and Deb were there with us and all those rowdy Gammill dealers at the next table. :D That was some good eating.

I would also like to sign up for the quilt run - shop til you drop event in KC. Maybe we should rent a bus. :P We probably could not afford a bus. My car rental in June was normal but the airport fees that they tack onto the car rental were sky high. I guess KC has to pay for that new airport somehow. That is the coolest airport I have ever seen. It is definitely built with the traveler in mind.

It is a nice airport, easy to get around, not lots of congestion.

Yes, that was Jack\'s Stack Barbque...it is good. If you are ever up for a dive, we have to try out Arthur Bryants. I usually take Rod with me, but during the day it\'s not...well, yes it is, but I think we would be okay....:)

It is so good. It has been on the Food Network when they highlight KC barbque.

I can load about 6 people in my ghetto mobile...and I think if Jeanne is going we can load up a few in her big ol Ford. The more the merrier ya know. Oh my gosh, I still laugh when I think about Sam\'s Mom showing me her class sample and she had the wrong bag...what a hoot.

Archived