Wild Women in Quilting- Unlimited Possiblities Magazine Nov 2007

Karen McTavish

"Wild Woman in Quilting"

Congrats to all the amazing quilters who were featured in this months issue of U.P. - they showcased "wild women of quilting" this month.

Sue Patten (not a shock)

Kimmy Brunner (cool family quilting history)

Pam Clark (applique' queen and fastest quilter alive)

Cathy Franks (wild woman of the year)

and yours truely....

I am a little freaked out - Vicky Anderson and my Editor, Sara Duke at OnWord Bound, proofed my article before it went to print - but I completely talked publically about being in recovery......and I have my tattoos flying.....

I got a little backlash from having the tattoos from quilters....but to be honest...I dont really give that stuff much thought.

I can't help being who I am - I want to conform.....I do.....but its just not possible.

Hope you guys like the issue this month - it sort of rules in a big way, for me anyway.

Here's the backlash email....its the least I can do, when someone is being mean to me.....I left her name out.

"I just checked out your website--checking on some trapunto info. But, I saw the picture of your left arm---with all the tattoos. Surely, those are only temporary and you can wash them off. If they are permanent, I'm greatly disappointed in your "taste" and lack of self-esteem and pride. They look horrible. JMHO."

Its kinda funny....I always giggle.... "washing it off"?... Why would I want to wash them off??

For the record -I sent her a response that went something along the lines of being disappointed in her lack of tolerance. And I signed it "Peace, Karen"

Which inspired me to write a song!! If anyone wants to listen to my Alternative Rock/Metal band - we just recorded two new songs....turn it up people....click on the jukebox - my favorite song is "coldcuts". Which is very loosely based on having a lack of tolerance.

http://www.myspace.com/grounds4dismissal

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts for life is that if we all: "Walked the same path and beat the same drum, we would be just bumping into each other".

I don\'t understand people who all want to be cookie cutters of each other. We should be able to play in the same sandbox, and with each others toys, but where does it say that we have to be of same body and thoughts.

When people get out of joint with me I just smile and say oops. fix it the best I can, but if I can\'t I just leave with my toys and come back another day. We can\'t expect to not upset people, that\'s part of life, but to have someone tell you that you can\'t do something, like have sleeves, then its just oh well....but they need to be the ones who leave the sandbox.

Lady, never change who you are now.....you had a messy road to run, (me too) ya made it YEAH (me too)....now tell \'em, ta just bugger off, and come over to my side of the sandbox and play....I play nice. Promise I won\'t even hurt you....or make you cry.:P:P

Karen,

I checked out your song...You are so COOL!! And a lady of many talents. Do us all a favor though, if your dreams of being a big rock star comes true PLEASE DO NOT give up quilting!!!! We would all miss you in the quilting world.

As for the tatoos, who cares what others think of them, they are you, they reflect one of your passions and that is always a good thing.

I got my copy of Unlimited Possibilities in the mail yesrterday, first thing I thought of after reading the article was "Good for her". Not too many people in the world can say that they are enjoying life and really mean it. So have fun, enjoy life, be true to yourself for it doesn\'t get any better than that. :)

If I was as fantastic a quilter as you I would have fabulous tatoos too!! (and a big Harley). I thought the song was pretty cool - it reminded me a tiny bit of "Skunk Anansie". You have reminded me that I need to colour my hair again before I face the GUILD to run a workshop - last winter it was magenta which made a nice change but exasperated my friends when they came shopping with me for a jacket that would work well with purple hair. A big Hurrah to you from a big fan in Scotland... (by the way when are you going to republish Whitework?)

LINZI x

Karen, The thought of you conforming sends a tremour through my body...truly! We have all learned from you and look up to you (and maybe wish we could be brave enough to be more like you!)

The day you ever dream of changing will be the day I shed a tear for all of us!

Love you.........Sandra

Karen,

you are one of the best teachers out there. One of the greatest quilting artists I have had the pleasure of meeting. Of course you are not the typical quilter. Oh my gosh, could we see you with quilt block earrings dangling from your ears. A jacket made from a sweatshirt with your favorite quilt blocks sewn to it then McTavished. Or any number of things I see at MQS - it just ain\'t you sister!!

Just ignore those people. They are very prim and proper and haven\'t learned what makes the world go round.

I haven\'t received my magazine yet (I just subscribed a few weeks ago). But I can\'t wait to read the article.

Karen, why should we have to change who we are because someone else doesn\'t approve? Geez, there\'s something in all of us that "someone" doesn\'t approve of. And, I\'m guessing that most of us have something in our past lives that we are recovering from too...

Thank goodness we are all different. Good for you and your tattoo! I hope to meet you someday and see that tat in person! :)

Karen,

I\'m sorry that somebody would be that rude. I would tell her I was dissappointed in her judgemental attitude and rude comments. Who are you exactly hurting with your tats? Tell her if she doesn\'t want to look then don\'t. I can\'t even imagine sending anybody an email like that even if I don\'t like tatoos. Wouldn\'t it just be nice if people could worry about the important things in life. Please ignore her comments and be yourself! I\'m sorry for her intolerance and rude comments...she should be embarrassed to be so judgemental.

Heidi

Karen Honey,

Keep your head up.

I\'d advertise the hussies name and e-mail addy for all to see if I were you. She doesn\'t mind prattling about others. Those of us with tats don\'t like the stuff she said about you. Your tats are gorgeous, don\'t you dare wash them off!!!!!hehehehe What next, no men in quilting cause it\'s too feminine.... or perhaps worse, girlie????

Hummmmmm.... ponder the implications, The moral fiber of quilting infiltrated by, dare I say....Tattooed villains in motor-cycle gangs!!!! Oh mom, I\'m getting another tat in Hawaii, and when I get back home I\'m buying a Fat Boy!!!Aloha......

Karen,

Never assimilate.

I like what Bonnie said. How boring life would be if we were all the same (like perfect little stepford wives) and how dare we put on airs or judge anybody by their cover? Those who are critical are missing out on knowing some pretty cool people in this world. Those who know you see plenty of love and kindness and a wonderful woman behind the exterior image. I think it is so cool you let your soul show through and you share your true heart. Not everyone is brave enough to follow their dreams, wear their hearts on their sleeves (right there next to their tatoos) and are free spirits. Sure, there are idiots out there who are shallow, choose to be judgmental and refuse to see the big picture or seek to understand the person underneath. It\'s their loss, really. Keep your center: your quilting, your music and your family/kids are all most important. Thanks for sharing your newest song on myspace and the news about the "Wild Women" story in UP magazine.

PS: I think you are so pretty. :) Keep rockin\' girl. I like you exactly the way you are.

Karen,

Once again someone with a closed mind has exercised their freedom of speech. And as you can see .... WE ALL THINK SHE IS FULL OF IT!!! Shana writes a wonderful response as usual and I say ditto.

But these types of ladies need to get a grip. I am an over 50 lady, wear blue jeans and t-shirts and there is one LQS that literally would not give me the time of day the two times I went in there. SO - I shop at two other LQSs who have taken the time to get to know me and who I am. I spend A LOT of money on fabric etc. and my clothes are deceiving as to who I am and as my girlfriend states - does not reflect my net worth. Aren\'t people funny? Are these ladies of retirement from a different era who just won\'t see the ones of our generation and the next generation? Times have changed!!

You are a true beauty, inside and out. You are a true artist as many have stated and I hope some day in the near future I have the honor of meeting you and taking a class from you. I have all your books and I love them. I enjoy watching your DVD too. I appreciate your openess and I am thankful and proud that you are in recovery. YOU GO GIRL!!!

It is very hard for me to write exactly what I feel about this person, because quite frankly I don\'t want to stoop to her level. Blow this off. We luv ya!!! :):):):):)

HA! Glad to see you are rockin\' on after all the hoopla! You sound really good and that includes your music, love it! I usually don\'t get my copy of UPM until well after everyone else has but I\'ll check the post office today just in case, I\'ve been waiting for this one. It\'s so cool that in spite of this person you\'ve now received even MORE ribbons, have ANOTHER book out, and are now SPOTLIGHTED in a quilters magazine, and then there\'s your music! How much more positive affirmation can you get? But then we all know that Karen rocks!! Are you coming to Houston?

Karen,

When I read your article, I just felt so bad that you felt you needed to change to fit into the quilting world, this has really bothered me, and then someone has the gall to write negatively to you about YOUR tats. People will always judge on face value, but you my dear have the total package to back up what you are putting out there. Talent exudes from every pore of your body, so always hold your head up, and don\'t take anyone elses baggage! Never conform was my mantra in the 60\'s, and you can borrow it if you want!

Stephanie

Karen,

I love quiltfairies statement, and second that. I also second what everyone else here has to say. You are greatly admired for your wonderful talents, sparkling personality, and now I add to that your extremely gracious response. Personally, I\'d send back some snarky comment about her, sight unseen, and then probably feel guilty about it. You have shown that you are truly a lady with tats and all.

Beth

Hi, Karen, and yes, you are a celebrity. As for unkind statements, once you are in the \'public eye,\' it seems as though some individuals believe it\'s OK to express their opinion on you. Just ask Mark Lipinski about emails he has received. Does it bother him. Yes, in the beginning, a great deal; now, not so much.

Creative people who share their gifts with others ought to be continually thanked. Unfortunately, no all recognize a gift when they see it.

Keep doing whatever it is that continues your creativity and makes you happy.

Deborah Jett McVay

New Jersey

Karen I have always gone my own way and could give a rip about what others think! Being normal and in the mainstream is dull and boreing. I am a people watcher and love to see what and how others act and misact. Go thru life doing your own thing and I guareentee you will have way more fun that those that are jsut following the crowds like a bunch of sheep!

When I grow up I want to be just like you! Of course I will have to grow up first.

Archived