Grease leakage around shaft

Katydids

Amy, Mark or John, Help!

I have a call in to Amy and an email with pictures, but if anyone is "out there", maybe you can tell me what to do. I have had my machine since June 05 and have had to repack the grease 3 times, the latest 2 weeks ago. I was quilting today and she started really getting growly. I finished up and looked at the bobbin area and this is what I saw.... (see picture below)

Is this something serious???? Or does she just need some silicone around the shaft? Help, I am very concerned.... I have lots of quilts to do and can't afford the time to send her in.

Thanks,

Patty

post--13461898667985_thumb.jpg

Thanks Joann.

I did see the post from before and it mentions the black cap and siliconing that, but mine is coming out the shaft and being slung around the housing. I think it is a different issue altogether. Here is the quote from John...

"If I read your post correctly the grease is leaking from the shaft that the hook assy. is attached to. This is a different issue from leaking from the shaft that has the black cap. A little leakage from a new machine that stops is not a problem. It also depends on the volume leaking. If the leakage is excessive (enough to be thrown out on the sides if the housing around the hook assembly). I would suggest you contact Amy and send her pictures of the leakage. I would not worry about a little leakage."

Well, this is not a little bit of leakage...

I just want to make sure that nothing has been damaged to cause this much grease loss. This is not normal.....

Patty

Good Morning John,

Thank you for your reply.

There is a gold metal piece that is protruding out from the back plate approximately 1/8" and then the collar. Is that the "gold bushing"? How could this happen? I have never done any work on the hook assembly. I purchased the machine new and never removed the assembly. Here is a picture of it cleaned up so you can see... I will be calling you after 8:00 am if that is ok.

Thank you,

Patty

post--13461898670439_thumb.jpg

Kenna,

I apologize, but I am not going to go there..... I have posted about other issues with SR or wheels, whatever, and I have been inundated with emails about the fix. I have also found that once an issue arises with one machine, then others are "looking for trouble" so to speak with theirs.

Don\'t get me wrong.... I love to help.... I just don\'t want to "start anything". You will definately know if this is happening to your machine and then I would suggest you (or anyone that may encounter this) to call tech support for the solution.

It is not my intention to offend anyone, I just think this is not something that would happen on a regular basis and if it does happen to you then tech support is your best solution.

Thanks,

Patty

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I am asking my question on this post because of Patty\'s photo (the first one). Is the clear, petroleum jelly-looking stuff, the grease? If it is, what is it? The grease for my Millie (c. Apr 03) is tan colored. The grease sent to me by APQS about a year and half ago, was also the same tan stuff.

1. Is APQS using something different now? If so, what is it, and can I change out the grease in my machine?

2. If not, what kind of grease is tan grease? I know that APQS will send it to me, but I\'d prefer to try to find it in a tube, if possible. The baggie of grease was no fun to deal with.

Thanks

On the first picture it is gray.

The question has been asked what is the # of the grease it is Lubriplate GR132. It is available from Lubriplate Web Store 14 oz. is $16.00 plus shipping.

The factory will send you a packet for no charge but probably will charge a handling fee. (Linda has to be paid).

When I place an order I try to maximize my order so the handling fee is a small cost to get my order. I need to plan ahead as best I can for my needs.

Yes dealers pay the handling fee also.

John

John

I know I have asked about my leakage-- which is on the gear below where her leak is but its such a great picture I had to ask again-- I have been told not to worry--but I do anyway-- I have been told its an air pocket but I always have about that much grease oozing. when do you think I should repack the machine. it reminds me of a soft serve machine.

which is sending me sweating now.... I tried to find a non working Ult II so I could learn to fix it without practicing on mine but heres a testament to what great machines they are Non working machines do not exist!! How would one learn to repair them?

APQS offers a service class that is good for all machines and Amy is also teaching a Mini class at MQS. The grease leakage is past the brass bushing on the lower shaft that the hook attaches to. Usually the leakage stops and does not present a problem. As far as a air pocket this would be caused grease that has leaked from the gearbox. This is an easy fix in your studio (They (APQS) will send you detailed instructions with the grease packet). It is not something that you have to do very often.

John

Archived