Do you charge if a customer wants a panto you don't have?

I am just starting out and only have a dozen or so pantos, and I am unsure what to do if a customer wants something I don't have. So far I've just ordered it and paid for it myself, figuring that I'm building up my collection.

What do others do? Charge a portion of the cost? The whole thing? Do you think you lose customers if you ask them to pay some of the cost?

Thanks for any advice -

Julia

Julia,

You are building up your collection, but as you practice and/or work on someones quilt you are also gaining experience, and by that you are also earning the right to increase your prices. Which in turn will allow you to purchase more supplies.

In some areas where quilters many only get say 10 or so quilts a year its hard to purchase new supplies/toys and not feel the major crunch of a $25.00 panto. I never charged for threads or something special like a new panto, but I do understand where you might really feel the crunch.

If they are requesting something really really costly....I would think it not tacky to talk to them about the extra cost and explain that if they would pay for a portion of it that on their next quilt you can give them a discount.

I have no idea if this is a politically correct method, like I said I never needed to do this and used the full price at the end of the year as a tax deduction. So I too will sit back and see what the others have to say as well.

The only time I ever made someone pay for thread was back in the day when a small spool of Metallics was almost $20 a spool.

I never charge extra for a panto that I purchased specifically for one customers quilt, because 9 times out of 10 one of my other customers sees a picture of the quilt quilted and ends up wanting it on her quilt as well.

The cost is all part of building a business, talk to your CPA and find out if you can count these types of expenses as a lost when doing your yearly taxes.

I do not get very many requests for pantos. But occasionaly someone will want one. I just had a customer send me a link to a panto she wanted on her quilt. I let her know once her quilt arrived I would order the panto and I would do it for her. Well the panto was on sale so I did get it before her quilt arrived but yesterday her package arrived so it is all good.

I will not charge her extra for the panto. I figure that if I use it again then why should I make her charge. Basicly she is sending me business BECAUSE I will do that panto so it is generating money. Unless it is something I can use only one time I am building my stash of things I can do on customer quilts.

This Spring I spent $60 on a set of Reneas Amazing arcs for one quilt. It was alot to pay and I did not make a huge amount on the quilt.........................but a month ago I got a customer quilt and was trying to figure out the spine for feathers that needed to go allover that quilt. One of those rays was just absolutely perfect.................................I did make alot of money on that quilt.

No I think it better not to charge if it is an item you can reuse. Your willingness to get pantos and other items will generate business and you do get to reuse those things so is it fair to make your customer absorb the cost?

If a customer asks for a pattern I don\'t have... I charge $7.50 as a "design" charge. I have some patterns that I continue to charge $5.00 for each quilt. I also have basic designs that do not have a "design" charge. This way I can continue to purchase new designs when needed.

I charge $5.00 for thread for Twin and smaller and $7.50 for King or Queen. If the customer wants to bring me thread, then no charge.

Thread can be very expensive especially when starting out.

My customers haven\'t had a problem with my thread charge or pattern charge. I send an estimate to all my customers before I start quilting so if they have a question they can ask me.

I\'ve never charged for panterns or design tools as I know they will be used again. I have started charging a $3.00 thread charge per quilt recently as it makes trying to figure out sales/use tax so much simpler. Many quilters in this area do that so it\'s not an issue with most people. I just explain the tax issue and my customers have understood the reasoning so no problem. As I\'m just getting back into business after a year it\'s a good time for me to make some needed changes in my pricing. jeri

I only charge for the thread...after you figure how many bobbins it takes you find out it costs a lot esp. if one takes 12 or 13 bobbins..I figure the cost of the bobbin and double that, figuring that will cover the cost of the spool...its not so much the cost of the spool, but shipping is getting pretty high and you need to cover the cost of that.

Archived