Back tacking and quilting for judging?

Stagecl

If one enters a quilt in a show, are you still back tacking with the CQ? Or are you eliminating the back tacking and doing it by hand? I know it is a dumb question...just wondering which way to go. The back tacking does show more than just stopping and tying off by hand (common sense tells me this is the best way to go).

I have a quilt in mind to enter one of these days. It is just one of those questions I would like to know the answer to or just an idea of what others do.

Thanks

Cheryl

Maybe I need another cup of coffee, what do you mean backtracking or doing it by hand.

I need more info to help you.

If you mean on feathers freehand or CQ, I\'m sure they want the stitches to be on top of each other if they are suppose to be or slightly separated if they are suppose to be. What ever it\'s suppose to be that\'s what needs to happen, as long as it is done well. If it\'s the ba-bump method of backtracking on the humps, that should be right on.

I hope I answered your question.

JoAnn

JoAnn,

I think Cheryl means the single tacking stitches the machine takes when beginning or ending a design. It can be set to take one or more "securing" stitches, correct?

Cheryl,

Whether you use a computer or not, the judges will look for "clean, invisible" starts and stops. The most neat and clean start/stop is the traditional "knotting and hand-burying" method. Many of the top winners choose this method.

The second method (a little more noticeable than tying off, but not quite as visible as true back-tacking) is to begin with teeny-tiny stitches using the needle up/down function before engaging the CQ. Try to imagine putting the stitches so close together that you are only stitching over one "thread" of the woven fabric at a time (the kind of stitches that you pull your hair out trying to rip out because they are so close together :)).

Back-tacking would be the least favorable in competition, because of the build-up of thread and noticeable starts and stops.

Clear as mud?

I don\'t like the way the CQ does securing stitches - either starting or stopping so I always bring the ends up to the top and then tie and bury the threads. I think this is a much more professional and definitely a cleaner look. I believe that is what the judges are looking for.

The only time I don\'t do the above is when I am doing a panto that I let run off the edges of the quilt. Everything else, I tie off. I know it takes longer, but I prefer the look.

Yep..the stitches the machine takes to secure the threads. I don\'t think the beginning stitches to secure the thread are as noticeable as the ending tie off.

Thanks everyone for answering. I figured the judges would prefer the knotted and buried no show beginning and ending. But just needed some input....now to figure out the last details of my quilt. It won\'t even get started until the new year comes around. Too many Christmas quilts for customers:)

Cheryl

Archived