Free Snowflake pattern

Loes

Hi everyone,

I have created a new snowflake pattern, free for you to download from:

http://store.pre-design.eu

The pattern is one continuous line, and is repeatable. The zip-file contains the pattern in the following formats:

*.cmd for CompuQuilter

*.iqp for IntelliQuilter

*.qli for Statler and

*.pre for Pre-Design.

The original drawing in the Pre-Design format can be used to resize the pattern, copy, paste and align to create and print your own panto roll!

I would love to see my design "in action" so if you are using it, I'd love to receive a photo by email.

Enjoy!

Loes

post--13461898717509_thumb.jpg

Yes you can!

You can open the pre-format in Pre-Design, then copy and paste and align.

Then select all and choose Size: in Width enter the size of your quilt and click OK.

Then choose menu File > Print and it will print, automatically divided over multiple numbered pages. Tape together and your panto is ready :)

Take a look at the slideshows on page: http://quilters.pre-design.eu/screenshots.htm

Loes

Hi Nadia,

I took it one step further for you: I converted the DXF file already for all major systems. In CompuQuilter you just open the included *.cmd-format.

The zip-file contains the pattern in the following formats:

*.cmd for CompuQuilter

*.iqp for IntelliQuilter

*.qli for Statler and

*.pre for Pre-Design.

If you are using Pre-Design yourself: via menu File you can export to DXF format, which can be opened in CompuQuilter\'s "DXF2CQ.exe" and save it: then it becomes a *.cmd file, which can be opened in CompuQuilter. For the free designs I already did that, so the DXF format is not included in the zip-file.

About the WMF file:

Choose menu File > Export to EMF-A - from Dee Dee and Stan I understand that CompuQuilter can now also read EMF, the same way as WMF.

To create sample sheets of how to repeat, or how to place multiple patterns: open the *.pre-file in Pre-Design, Select All, Copy and paste and move the selected copy to make a second row (for an overall pattern).

Print this placement sample, but this time not at actual size, but on one sheet of paper, via menu File > Print Picture.

Hope this helps,

Loes

Hi Barbara,

Which embroidery digitizing software do you have and which machine?

I can digitize the snowflakes and create a *.pes-file. Let me know if you can import a pes-file in your embroidery software. I could also create a *.dst-file (which your machine should be able to read..).

Oh, let me know the hoop size too :).

Loes

I exported an EMF and it is NOT an editable file. Maybe I\'m doing something wrong.

Please enlighten me.

Bottom line is along with a usable design I need an editable version of the design to do my layouts and be creative as possible.

Please let me know what I may be doing wrong. I want more than a picture for the designs I purchase. I want to be able to edit it as well.

Thanks again for the free design. very cute!!!

Thanksk again.

Hi Grammie Tammie,

Before you export the design, edit it in Pre-Design itself. First rename the file (to keep the original unchanged) Then Copy, paste, place it where you want it and after you are satisfied export to EMF-A. Rename the file extension to WMF to open in CompuQuilter (along with the exported DXF-file).

Could you please help me a little here? What exactly do the WMF files do?

As I understand it, people need a WMF file with instructions for placement and layout, is that right?

But if you create a design yourself in Pre-Design, then you could do the same already in Pre-Design, and would not need a WMF file.... Instead you could make the placement adjustments in the Pre-Design drawing (save under a different name to keep the original unchanged), then play around with copying and pasting and after that print it: not at actual size via Print Pattern, but on one sheet of paper: via menu File > Print Picture.

Could you please let me know if copying, pasting and playing around in Pre-Design and then print on one sheet of paper would be the same as having a WMF sheet?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Oh, forgot to mention: the EMF-files exported from Pre-Design are vector files which can be edited in a program like Adobe Illustrator.

The DXF files exported from Pre-Design can be edited in AutoSketch (but for CQ they don\'t need to be edited in AutoSketch), and of course all editing of drawings made with Pre-Design can be done in Pre-Design itself by opening the original pre-file.

Loes

Thank you very much for offering this! My CQ will be installed next week (which I\'m SOOOO looking forward to) and I have a quilt that is just begging for this design. I\'m anxious to use it. Again, thanks for sharing this wonderful design!

Lisa Potter

buzzybeequilting.com

Canby, Oregon

Hi Loes,

Thank you for the snowflake design. There are several things about the Windows Metafile for CompuQuilter users that are being muddled together. Those of us with CompuQuilter use the wmf in a couple of ways. The wmf shows a single design or a design layout and, when needed, it has instructions from the designer/digitizer on how to run the design. We insert the wmf along with the cmd file in CQ\'s Program, where it shows up on our Notes page. There we can add notes on the fly as we gain experience with the design. Also, we open the wmf in AutoSKetch to print an illustration of the design to show our customers. Often we’ll want to layout the design in any number of creative ways, so we\'ll want files that are editable in AutoSketch. Examples would be: to layout a CQ corner with it’s matching border, illustrate split designs, multiple repeats of a border or edge-to-edge design, multiple repeats and multiple passes of a repeatable interlocking design to determine the proper fixed index to embed in the command file, to duplicate a Motif or other element to use in a layout of an entire quilt, play with various ways the design could be used with other designs that have a matching theme, layout CQ tagged designs to illustrate them for the quilter, to determine the fixed index, whether it be single or double index, and to write instructions or project notes for using designs. There are both functional and illustrative reasons for having a dxf or wmf file that can be edited in AutoSketch. In addition to CQ\'s traditional design categories, we are designing more complicated designs and projects. There are specific digitizing techniques to create these designs and specific instructions to the CQ user that needs to be added on the wmf.

Newcomers to computerized quilting don’t tend to realize how important an editable file is until they gain more experience with the various categories of designs that CQ can do. It’s possible they will not know yet how or if they will use digitizing. If they never sell designs to other computerized quilters, or they don\'t use their CQ very much, and they don’t create or use some of the more advanced design concepts, it may be that they could get along without having files they can edit. That wouldn’t work for me but it’s possible. If the quilter starts to use their CQ regularly, for business, or simply for greater creativity, they will utilize their systems features more and more. It’s then that they could come across a wall of what they don’t know about important digitizing and design concepts, and using AutoSketch to edit design files.

Warm Regards,

Suzanne Moreno, Digitizing Instructor

Digitizing for CompuQuilter Course Book and Lessons

cqdigi@charter.net

541.660.8053 in Grants Pass, Oregon

Archived