Computerized stitching?

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

Hey! I know APQS is very bashful about announcements, but I recall some time ago, someone on the MQP list mentioning that APQS would unveil their new computerized stitcher at MQS. What happened? Is this in the works or not? Maybe to be seen at Innovations in the fall? Inquiring minds want to know.

Linda

Hi Linda, yes APQS unveiled the CompuQuilter at MQS. I had ordered mine prior to the unveiling and it is being delivered, setup, and I will have training on it beginning June 7th. It is my understanding that I am the first person to get the CompuQuilter but Myrna Ficken told me that she believed about 4 systems were sold at MQS. I am really excited and can't wait to get mine and learn how to use it. Once it is here, I'll let everyone know all about it.;)

Guest Linda S

I have to admit that there is no way I could afford one of these right now -- I'm just starting to pay off my Circle Lord! ;) But I would be interested to know how it all works out and what the cost is. I hope there will be some info on the APQS page eventually.

Linda

Hi Everyone. We are VERY excited about the addition of the Compu-Quilter to the APQS line of products. I had the opportunity to spend some time with Stan Townzen at MQS, and am quite impressed with what he's developed. It appears to be very user friendly, and easy to learn.

Sue Morris from Australia spent quite a bit of time with Stan and his son (can't remember his name) in the APQS booth at MQS. She caught on very quickly and everytime I came back to watch, she was doing something new. The system has many more capabilities than I expected, and I'm excited about the fact that the stitching doesn't have to look "computer generated perfect"!

I think the reason it's not on the APQS site yet is that they really aren't ready to ship until mid-July. I'm sure once they have stock on hand, the "official" word will go out. The price is $12,500, and the exciting thing is that it can be added to any APQS machine that has horizontal wheels and the needle positioner.

One of the best parts of the price? That IS the final price. ANY future upgrades are included. You can download the manual from the web site. http://www.sd-stitches.com As of yesterday, the manual for the Millennium wasn't up yet, but you can get the information on how it works from the A-1 manual. I think only the set-up for our carriage axels will be different.

It can be disengaged for freehand work in about 15 - 30 seconds!

The manual is always a work in progress, and updates can be downloaded from the web site as needed.

Hi everyone

This is my first visit to this forum since returning from MQS, APQS and Compuquilter training with Stan and Dee Dee Townzen. Time has flown by and it was great to see all the new products and catch up with everyone

The machine being demonstrated at MQS on the APQS booth was the proto-type and was only just completed in time for MQS. Being the proto-type, there were/are still a few cosmetic alterations to be made but the Compuquilter software and hardware and the Millennium machine worked beautifully together producing excellent stitch quality and precision work.

At least four people ordered Compuquilter machines at MQS and I believe they will be shipped early July - lucky people.

As I am the Aussie rep (with shows coming up here soon) I ordered my machine ages ago and should get it next week - I can't wait. I have read the manual at every opportunity - and as Darlene said, it is a work in progress due to the dedication of Dee Dee and Stan Townzen who are constantly trying to find ways to improve their product - seems to me it could not get better or easier to understand - even my son was reading it in the hope he will be the first one to start quilting when its setup - no chance he'l have to stand in line behind me, my other son and my husband!

I found the computer software very easy to use and understand and within 10 minutes of being shown how to use it. I was off stitching beautiful motifs, corners and borders. When I got stuck, a quick flick to the lessons in the manual put me on the right track and I was off having fun again. I am sure this machine is going to pay for itself just as quickly as the Milli has.

As Darlene mentioned, it can be added onto nearly all existing APQS machines - a great plus - we don't have to sell our existing machine and have down time when we go up to the computer.

Thats all for now,

Sue in Australia

Hello all!!

I just wanted to say that I have been a CompuQuilter dealer for a couple of years... and this system is truly AMAZING!! Stan is constantly adding improvements and new features! This new software is always available on-line for all CQ owners, along with the updated manuals, and a breakdown explaining exactly what the new enhancements are. The CQ software upgrades are included with your CQ purchase -with NO extra charges for CQ owners!!!

Let me also add, that the updates to the CQ program are not added-on modifications where your exisiting CQ program is modified!! Stan gives you a completely new program to download so that the CQ software is not full of band-aids and after-thoughts!! I can tell you that it is the absolute BEST computer-guided quilting system available!!

I was not planning on selling my CQ system with my A1 when I switched to the APQS Millennium, but once the buyer saw how easy it was to use, she wanted it bad enough to make it a deal breaker if I wouldn't part with it!! Soooo, now I have a wonderful Millie and am in the waiting line for the CQ upgrade myself <HUGE sad sigh>. To make my waiting even worse, the CQ is even sweeter on the Millie than it was before. As much as I dearly love my new Millie, I have really missed having the CQ!! When you have the CompuQuilter on your Millennium- you truly have the best of both worlds!!!:D:D

Hi Sue, Tina, everyone

We should get our machines at the same time - how exciting.

Before I came to MQS I read the CQ manual which I downloaded from the Compuquilter website. This is not the APQS manual but is helpful in learning the features to expect on the Compuquilter.

When I got toMQS, Dee Dee gave us the APQS manual and I read it over and over again. I think if you have thoroughly gone through the manual before set-up and training it will help you ask sensible questions when you are having training and so speed up the learning process. The manual is excellent. If you don't have a copy, maybe Dee Dee will email you one before your machine arrives.

Tina, I enjoyed reading your message above and I had forgotten that Stan emails the whole programme when there is an upgrade. Good point. There are so many great things we can say about the Compuquilter system but I think the best is that they are committed just as heavily towards afters sales service as APQS and we know there will be help every step of the way if we need it.

Written by Sue in Scottsdale:

"Is there anything I need to do to prepare for the CQ? I haven't been told much of anything except that installation is Tuesday. and training is Wednesday and Thursday."

Sue (Lucky You!!!!)

Yes!! Get some sleep!! All you are gonna want to do is quilt on your new CQ!!! I am sooooooooooo jealous!! :mad::mad: LOL!!!:P

Have a GREAT time with Stan & Dee Dee. You'll be totally surprised at how user-friendly the CQ system is. Please let me know how you are doing.... but try not to rub my face in your stories of how much fun you are having! LOL! I miss my CQ!! (whine, cry, pout!!)

I am totally blown away. I check out CompuQuilter at MQS and talked with DeeDee and Stan and his son(don't remember his name either. He was excited about this CQ as much as Stan and DeeDee was. I wanted some info on CQ as I have been looking at it for awhile on the A-1. Just to see some features up close and see all the stuff just made me want it more now. Keep the string going with this subject. I am sure everybody is watching it for more info. Nita

;) It's here! :) My CompuQuilter arrived late this afternoon. The boxes are sitting in my quilting area just waiting for everyone to arrive to set it up and give me training. There should be quite a crowd around this system as Stan and Dee Dee will be training Bob Ketchum, Myrna Ficken, and myself. On Wednesday, there will be another quilter driving 3 1/2 hrs. into Phoenix to check the system out to see if she wants one (as if there will be any doubt in anyone's mind). I think this is going to be a very "looong" weekend for me. I want to open the boxes and get started right now. :mad:

Hello everyone. I told you I would report on how my CompuQuilter training progresses. This system and program is totally awesome. I can't convey in words how excited I am about being the first APQS owner to get this system installed. Stan & Dee Dee Townsend are fantastic and they have created the most wonderful and easy to use and understand program. Myrna Ficken and Bob Ketchum have also been in on the training and Bob is about ready to quilt is first ever quilt - he apologized to me for using my machine when I had to run out of the room for a few minutes :o. I really wish Myrna would show a little enthusiasm ;) (she says sarcastically) about this system. It is really hard to keep Myrna from bubbling all over the place!:) I have one more day of training to learn AutoSketch for digitizing and then how to convert the designs so the CompuQuilter can read it and I can't wait. I no longer need to consider purchasing the Circle Lord - my CompuQuilter is going to do all this for me and lots more!

I am sooooo excited I am having trouble controlling myself!:) This program is wonderful! Thank you APQS for bringing this wonderful tool to us.

Hi Sue!

Yes, the CompuQulter is just awesome isn?t?! :D

We had alot of "Play" time at MQS with Stan & Dee, they are very dear!

I can?t wait to have them all to my self very soon also. Well sort of, I was so excited telling a couple of friends about it, that they bought the system too! I guess my customers/students will be teaching*me*!

Yes, this is going to open a world of incredible possibilities for LongArm quilters & their customers, the fun never ends!

Enjoy the "ride" Sue, & tell Bob he needs to let you have a turn! LoL! :P

Just came back for training with Sue. Yes, I get a little excited! Sue was doing fantastic when I had to leave. Sue did you stay up all night playing with your new baby? I have no doubt that you have it mastered by now.

The Compuquilter is awesome, I can't wait to get it. Dee Dee and Stan are wonderful folks. Just like part of the family. I would like to spend a week with them learning everything I can. The system is really simple to use, It is just amazing to see. Did I mention I get a little excited? It is pertty simple it set up as well. Stan wouldn't let me do any of the drilling though or keep his screwdriver. Whats up with that Stan ;) I know everyone that has the system ordered is going to love it. You will be able to do things you never thought you could do. ENJOY. Sue have a great time! Please post pictures soon. I can't believe I did not take my camera!

Myrna

I am so jealous... I want one sooooo bad. I told my Hubby that he could get me one for Christmas.

I guess I will have to really get busy and do a lot of quilts. I will have one of this computers within 2 years. (That is my goal).

Barb Wetzel

Ivy Corner Quilting

Altoona, Ia.

Hi Sue

Are you having fun yet?!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are probably having so much fun you don't have time to get on the computer much.

I am still waiting for my CQ and Milli to reach me - for some reason it took a trip to Singapore but should be here on Tuesday morning - the day before I leave to show it off in another State 14 hours drive away!

I've been reading the manual to pass the time - its been nearly 3 weeks since I had my training so I need to keep reading the manual so I don't forget anything. I suppose this is a good thing because every time I read the manual I learn something new.

What have you done so far on your CQ? Have you done any real quilts or are you practicing on muslin? I'd love to see pictures.

Does your husband know how to cook - or at least Order IN?

Have a fun weekend.

Sue in Australia

Sue in Australia asked if I was having fun yet. You bet I am! :) Now that I am alone with my Millie and CompuQuilter, I decided to continue to practice with muslin. I have started going through the book exercise by exercise and try to figure things out by myself :o. It is amazing how many things you need to remember to check before sewing to be sure everything sews where you want it. (Ask me how I know!) I haven't yet played with AutoSketch by myself, but I will be doing that later. Hopefully, I'll get up the courage to try all my new skills on a real quilt within the next day or two.

My new toy is wonderful and I am having a ball.:D

Archived