I'm torn between 2 machines

Tracie--we are here because we have APQS machines or we want one!! You are askin\' the choir to comment about the church!!!

You will get tons of pros and a few cons but ultimately the choice is all about YOU!!!!

Money factors in as well as room, usage, comfort, ease of use, and of course, the chat room!!! No matter what your choice, it will be the best for you right now.

Congratulations and have a ball on your new journey!!!!

I have a Millie, and love it. But I used an A-1 at MQS last year and didn\'t have a problem with it. In fact, when/if I ever purchase another machine, I will be giving all of them a whirl just to make sure I want to stay with APQS. I can\'t say that the Millie has been the best thing since sliced bread....I still have back pain and need very frequent breaks. I have raised it, lowered it and have almost stood on my head. Not always is the Millie the cure all. It is a matter of opinion. You will need to decide what is best for you financially, physically, etc. Good luck, I know it is a huge decision.

I\'m a chemical engineer(working in the chemical and drug discovery industries before I had kids) and my husband is an electrical engineer that works as a controls engineer. I tell you this because we look at things from a slightly different point of view sometimes.

I think the APQS machines are the best engineered(well, I haven\'t looked around in a couple of years, and I don\'t plan to!) I think sometimes people don\'t have a great understanding of cause and effect and will tell you things are great or crappy depending upon personal experience rather than actual data or fact(how\'s that for engineering!). I\'ve heard people complain about this or that and blame the machine when really the problem is a faulty part that is easily purchased(from a company that makes the part) and replaced. Also, I think sometimes people don\'t have a great understanding of the big picture process of how the machine works and the effects of different issues with threads and specific quilt sandwiches. Operator errors are sometimes mistaken as machine errors. Also, how well you set up your machine will influence how it works---and things may change over time--like your rug getting more compacted and influencing the level of the table.

I think APQS reacts very quickly to the issues people seem to have. I\'ve had NO real issues with my machine in 2 1/2 years, other than a faulty fuse(from Home Depot).

As a consumer, I have always driven Honda vehicles, bought Pella or Anderson windows for my house, and buy most of my clothes from LLBean and Lands End for many of the same reasons.

These are my opinions, of course--but you did ask:).

God Bless!

Jill Kerekes

I understand just how you are feeling. I did my homework for years before taking the leap and didn\'t even get the machine that I first had my sights on.

The one important thing I like about my APQS is the BOBBIN Size.

I know many have the larger bobbin and I have seen in Computerized systems it works beautifully as the speed is constant but when doing freeehand in my experience I found I had better tension when making fast and then slower moves on my machine. Also the Prewound bobbins I purchase also work on my Embroidery and Bernina machines. I can do a very dense pass with only one bobbin and at times do change my bobbin in a pass. Just depends on how dense I am quilting.

I took a look at the Statler System while in Houston this past week and the Gammill. I find alot of things I really like about this system. I would not want to freehand with it as it just too heavy for quilting hours and hours everyday for me anyway. I have a hand and arm injury and the reduced weight for freehand was important to me. I also like the throat space for computerized only that is. That has become more important to me as I\'m digitizing now and getting creative ideas that could be initiated with the larger throat.

I did freehand with the A1 in Kansas last year and it glides like butter as they say. At the least the one I used did. I was very impressed with it. I do like my handles better on my Milli and the weight of my machine. I also like the table much better. The only thing with my table is I wish we had a SQUARE top on legs to fit these Computer attachements that are coming out these days. Kinda like Gammill where your computer system is attached to your table. This would keep you from having additional table at machine.

You may not be going computerized at any point so consider the Bobbin size and the weight of the machine.

If I were only going to freehand I think the Liberty is the best machine out there if your not going to use Circle Lord or go Computerized. I hope I get one before someone decides to retire it.

Best wishes Tracie and may I add that after owning my machine for two years I still cannot say enough about the product support after the purchase. APQS has AWESOME CUSTOMER SUPPORT and a staff that goes out of their way to help. That has been my experience with them.

Good Luck and Congratulation on becoming a LONGARMER. Your in for the time of your life regardless of what quality machine you choose.

Hugs Grammie

I choose APQS because they are so easy to move and handle And they are American made, I traded my liberty for the millie so I would have more sewing space I have never had any problems with my millie just some small ones easy fix and can always call APQS and they will talk you though it and fix the problem,also I try the other machines out there APQS was the best for me. THANKS BRENDA

Traci,

I am a recently retired civil/enviornmental engineer, hence I have a similar point of view to Jill. My best advice is to take a piece of paper and make two lists. On one list with the pros and cons of the Milli and the second for the A-1. Look at everthing, e.g. cost, size, bobbin size, table, add ons, etc. Then start prioritize the lists. After that start to compare the lists. Also don\'t think with your heart, try to be as analytical as possible.

I have the Milli. The support of APQS and this chat room were important to me in addition to several other features. Also, I knew of several other APQS machines in the area and knew that the owners could help me if I needed it. Hence, try to think of everything that may impact your choice.

I hope this helps.

Pamela

I would pick an APQS because of the service. If you need help it\'s there. Everyone in the office is friendly and helpful. But back to the big issue of service. It is so important to know if you do have a problem it will be addressed. I\'m on my second APQS machine and I\'m a beginner but they even supported a machine that they were no longer even making now that\'s service.

I have a Liberty, not a Millenium, but a couple things come to mind when thinking about having another machine other than an APQS. One of the things I\'ve really gotten spoiled with is the way the take-up roller and the leveller roller eliminate the need to always be raising and lowering the take-up roller. I\'m also very spoiled with the auto advance. Before I had my Liberty I had a Discovery with no auto advance, and would have never thought I needed it. Now that I have it, I would never want to be without it. I also like that my machine is basically just a giant sized sewing machine with the thread path just like my sewing machine, simple and straightforward. I have very little to no problems with thread breakage, no matter what I use.

Now I\'ve never tried an A-1 and I\'m sure they are very good machines too. This is just my opinion!

My friend has an A-1 and one problem she constantly has is with tension. Her machine does not like poly batting. Others in our area quilt on A-1\'s and love them but found they stitch best for them with the stitch regulator on. It does glide like butter. I quilted on one at MQX in a hands on class...it is a nice machine. I debated between the A-1 and the Liberty. The Liberty won out because alot of intense quilting for me is done without a stitch regulator. Also, I could easily switch bobbins from one machine to the other (this was a consideration for me because I already owned a Millie).

I like the smaller bobbin because I think the stitch quality is better. To me that is very important. The throat space on the Millie is larger than the A-1 and that also is a selling point.

I am a previous Gammill Optimum Plus owner. It was too heavy a machine for me. I would only run it with a statler if I were to get another one. I ran out of room in the house... LOL...so I am maxed out on machines.

What it gets down to it what works best for you. Make a list of pros/cons and rank them according to importance.

Good Luck

Cheryl

Ok I will say this here. It really does not matter which machine we have as long as we are happy right. I mean most of us have APQS but some don\'t. What matters is here is where we all come to gain wisdom and strength from one another. I cannot tell all of you how many times you all have helped me fix something or avoid the problem all together. I feel like all of you are family. I could not have found this wealth of knowlegde any where else.

A wise woman told me once when I was trying to make up my mind which machine to buy that she liked features from several brands. While that did not help me decide it did tell me I had to like what I chose.

Nora

Millennium

You have all been so helpful and kind and I really appreciate it!!!

I\'m just going to have to try them at Chicago and hopefully decide. I keep waffling back and forth between which one I think I like better. I don\'t know why I have to obsess like this over a decision that should be easy!

I\'ll let you all know as soon as I decide for sure. I do hope that whatever I decide, you\'ll still be my friends. I\'ve learned so much from this site. I wish you had all been around when I was floundering all alone with my machine from a few years ago.

Thank you again!

Nora is so right. Not everyone here has an APQS. Tracie, I am sure if you went to the A-1 site and asked the same question, you will get the answers that their machines "are the best." It\'s like that with every machine because most people love the machine they have:) What might help is writing down what you want in a machine and compare as to which one has most of the items you want. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

When in Chicago go to our APQS booth and see JoAnn Hoffman. She will not put any pressure on you to purchase from us but will answer all of your questions and help you to understand the features of the APQS machines. She is one of the smartest and talented Longarm quilters that I know. We are lucky to have her as well as all of our many other talented Representatives! We have quite an impressive group. Good luck with your decision and know that you\'ll be welcome here no matter what you do!

Here she is:

post--13461898725753_thumb.jpg

Another thing to keep in mind is the service you get from APQS. They are right there whenever you need them. Read the post someone just posted today about John Mitchel calling her at night to help her through a problem. They fixed her right up and she is back at it. Not many companies have that kind of customer service. And like someone else said, APQS is made in America - that was huge for me.

Good luck,

I just wnet through this. It took me a year and a half to decide. I ended up with APQS. Once the decision was made it was a relief. I think it is like buying a car. After the decision is made people say it is the best car that is why they chose it but while choosing they has some issues. So what ever machine you decide will be the machine for you

Melora

Okay, you promised you would all still love me whatever I decided....I went with the A-1.

I tried the APQS, the Gammill and the A-1 over and over again. I kept going back and forth between the machines and finally decided on the A-1. I liked them all but the A-1 just felt "right" to me.

So, I hope you\'ll still let me post and learn here. :)

Archived