circle lord

Cindy

I have heard (read) so much about the Circle Lord, but have not seen one. Is there a web site to window shop. I have been saving to buy the HF, but after seeing some of the awesome quilts done with the CL, I might change my mind to get the CL.

Guest Linda S

www.loriclesquilting.com It will tell you about the Circle Lord, and they have a link to the webshots page with all the things people have done with it. I've been having fun playing with mine lately.

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Well!!! I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night...partly because of this awful muggy heat-wave we're in the middle of but I think mostly because of the following~

I've been reading with interest the last couple of weeks all the excited discussion on the Circle Lord and I had come to think that that would be the goal of 2006, to see one of these in action and probably get one. Last week I got an invitation to attend a presentation on the Circle Lord for last night. I went, I saw, (I drooled a little bit thinking of the possibilities) and I purchased one! It really helps that they will break it down into payments...makes you realize that one easy quilt a month will pay for it...good perspective, ay?

The people were wonderful, there were no hard-sell mentality...no need for it, the thing practically sells itself!

I wanted to jump right in and say I'd go pick it up today ( I only live about an hour away from Michael) but I'll have patience and wait the couple of days for it to get here! I'm going over in my mind what customers quilts I have on hand that would love for me to experiment! I am lucky , I have a lot of customer like that!!

As you can tell, I tend to get a little excited! But, boy oh boy, it sure feels like Christmas!!!

Thanks for listening..............Sandra

Tell us, what designs did you choose and did you get any of the large templates? I share your excitement. I still love mine and it's been almost six months. You will find that every design you try will come out perfectly. Enjoy your new toy . . . it's fun and it will make you money.

Happy Quilting

Hi Jean...

I didn't know what to pick!!! So, I asked Michael's advice. He suggested the spirals and the clamshell design. I haven't even got it yet and I'm thinking of what will be next! For sure the Baptist Fan, it was beautiful. My only problem this week will be that my husband will be on a school camping trip with my son's class til Wednesday evening, even if I do get it quickly I'll probably have to wait til next weekend to set it up. Hmmm, there are also a few teenagers around the house that could come in handy, we'll see!

I'm curious to see how quickly it becomes something that my customers will get excited about. I know that people are amazed at how "clever" I am when they see me at the arena knitting socks that are made with wool that develops its' own design pattern. I imagine that this will be similar in the responses. ;) If they only knew how easy and fun this will be, but I think I just might keep that to myself:P Wouldn't want them to begrudge paying for me having fun, right?

Have a great day............Sandra

Guest Linda S

I love my Circle Lord. I got the package with the spirals, Aztec, Heartz, Starz, and Crosshatch. I'm considering getting the Giant Zig Zag. Maybe after that, the Giant Clam.

Sandra - I think I must knit the same type of socks you do. Makes us seem like geniuses, no? ;)

Linda

Linda...is it the "Socka" yarn that forms a style of fair-isle pattern? I never used to like knitting on 4 needles but my mom can't knit anymore so I figured if I wanted them I'd better do it myself. Turns out...that's what all the kids and their girlfriends got for Christmas...they loved them!

Which templates on the CL do you like the best? Sandra

The Circle Lord is a device that creates circles and many, many other possibilities. It seems that it's going to be fun, quick and precise. Looks like the design possibilities could be almost endless and I can't wait! Mine should be here tomorrow!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been trying out my new toy lately, making circles and spirals, etc. It's been hard to work in the humid heatwave we've been experiencing. I forced myself to start working bright and early this morning, determined to get a quilt done before I started melting.

I put on a nice quilt that must be from the Stack the Deck book. Nice red hearts appliqued on black and white backgrounds. I used the King Clam on it with a nice thread that variegates from white to silver to grey to black. It turned out beautiful and I'm so glad, too, cause it is my first quilt for a large, local fabric store. What great PR this quilt is going to be!!!

The nice thing about using the template is that after working on a couple of challenging quilts and feeling worn out from the weather, it's nice to do something that is quite easy but still satisfying.

Have a great day, Sandra:cool:

Hi Phyllis, I'm not Sandra, but I wanted to put in my 2 cents worth. I bought the king clam and Baptist Fan templates. I have had my machine for only 4 weeks. I did the BF on a friends quilt which was roughly 50 x 75 and it took about 2 hours and was so easy. It turned out perfect I might add.

I am not officially open for business yet, but that quilt has already brought in 6 customer quilts. I would say that it was worth the investment at least for me.

Hi Phyllis...

The quilt was about 60x80 and I think that 2 hours would be a good estimate. I took longer cause it was my first one and I wasn't able to keep at it continually on the day that I did it.

For sure I could see being able to do 2 quilts in a day with no problem. I'm doing one again today with some King Tut thread and it's looking great!

Just checked the mail and my husbands income tax return was in there!!! I think I'll hit him up for the Aztec, hmmm!!!

See ya..........Sandra:)

I just read your post, Terri. Yes, you do charge custom for these quilts. The first week that I had it I told customers that if they let me play on their new quilts with my new gadget I would just charge them the panto rate but that after that first week these designs would be a custom rate.

That worked out well, and hopefully they'll want more in the future and so will people who see their quilts, meanwhile I've gained a bit of experience! I also think people appreciate getting a little deal now and again.

It's going to be tough not telling people how quick and easy working with the Circle Lord is but that's what I'm going to do. You do feel like you're stealing at first but'll I'll get over it!!! :P

Sandra

My clients are so happy with the Giant Clams, Baptist Fan and ZigZag designs that they have not questioned the higher price. I made examples of them to hang in my studio and clients look at them and decide that's what they want before they even ask the cost. Remember, it's not only the time it takes us to quilt but the investment in our equipment that determines our prices. These designs require a substantial investment and no one else is my area is offering them. If you plan on purchasing the large templates you need to believe that the designs are worth the extra cost. If not, you lose. Hope this helps some of you.

Thanks for the insight, Jean, you're exactly right! I think I'd better get something made up to hang in my sewing room. The two quilts I have done with the King Clam haven't been picked up yet, I can't wait to hear the response I get when they are! They really look nice!!

Sandra

I was planning on charging just the panto rate for these templates, but after reading all your posts, I will go ahead and charge custom rates. I have not used the King Clam yet on a quilt, only muslin for practice. Can you tell me what quilts this would be appropriate on? Right now I only picture it on childrens quilts, but I want to be able to get more use out of it.

Thanks,

I think the uses for this design goes far beyond children's quilts. To me, the gentle curves would compliment quite a few traditional patterns, at least.

Such as log cabins and rail fences. My first one was a 20-block quilt set with sashing strips and it looks good.

Sometimes we get set in a certain mind-set about things...that's the time to break out of the box and try things that seem different. Then you wonder why you didn't see things like that before. Sorry, a little philosophical, but do you know what I mean?

Sandra ;)

Sandra, I agree with you, the King Clams have many applications. This design is a classic pattern that was used by hand quilters many years ago. I recently quilted a reproduction of a quilt from the 20's and the original was done in a clamshell pattern. It also looks fabulous on any quilt that has straight lines, like the log cabin and rail fence that you mentioned. There are lots of possibilities.

Thank you Ladies for your info and advice on the Clams and Zig Zag templates. Well today I did it! I've ordered both for my Milly. Michael said something about having to get some non slip rubber matting to go under the templates. This was the first I'd heard about this. Has anyone out there with a Milly purchaced this kind of thing, and if so where from?

Now I can't wait to get them and have some spare time to try them both out. :)

Phyllis Wright, Victoria B.C. Millennium.

Hi Phyllis...

I got the non-slip rubber matting at Home Hardware for about $2.99 each. I bought two and they are about 5' long each so it was plenty and they do the job good. It was just in the housewares section of the store.

Have fun! Yesterday one of my clients picked up the first clam quilt that I had done and she was very happy and impressed.

Have a good day...Sandra

Archived