Thinking about getting a machine

Zincfly, I am one that bought a new machine, with a small loan, and wished that I would have either bought a smaller and/or used machine and worked my way up. It's the Dave Ramsey thing of my "stupid tax." I still have 1 1/2 years on that "stupid tax." Thankfully the only "stupid tax" I have. I tell people that it is my brand new car and I'll never do it again. Especially if you are retired, I'm guessing you are on a limited income no matter how much that may be in today's economy. So, if I were doing it over agian, buy something smaller and/or used first.

This site has a great used machine list as well as House of Hanson. Also try out:

http://forums.quiltropolis.net/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=18

and

http://www.longarmuniversity.com/machines_for_sale.htm

I looked at the websites for 3 yrs before finding "the" deal. I ended up buying mine from an APQS dealer. I found the machine on the APQS website under used machines. The main thing is try to be patient. "Your" deal will come along at the right time.

Good Luck!:)

Whatever you choose to buy, the stitch regulator is going to be an expensive option. We started with an Ultimate I, a machine many believe to be as good a machine as APQS ever built. It has a 26" throat and the same table rails and carriage as a Millenium, but has no stitch regulator. When we recently found a Millie that we thought we could afford, we bought it and moved it into the quilting studio. Margie loves it, but is glad she spent a few years quilting on the non-stitch regulated machine first. That gives you some skills practice that will stand you in good stead when/if you decide to upgrade.

The bottom line is, don't be afraid of a non-stitch regulated machine to start with. There are some very famous and talented quilters out there that use Ultimate I's and wouldn't trade them for anything.

AND we happen to have one for sale! :)

Mr Margie

• 5 months later...

Wow! There is so much information on this website, I read, read and read again. I am getting ready to buy a machine. I am looking a the Lenni. This is mostly for my own use, but if I could get to the point of selling it would only be a bonus that I had not thought of. I do have a Grace Frame and a Brother Novelle 1500 S that I would have to sell as I just don't have that much room in my sewing room. I have made everyone in the family(small family) a quilt, but now I want more challenges in my life. My question is. I am 72 and holding. Will I live long enought to see any progress in what I can do, or get and rewards for spending my childrens inheritance. Love what I have been seeing in everyone work. Thanks and will let you know what machine I can buy. Jan

Archived