Charging Extra for "Rush" Job?

A new customer is going to drop off a quilt top tomorrow night and wants it done ASAP because it's going to be a gift for Thanksgiving (which is next week). I can give a one week turnaround time, but she wants it sooner than that. I think I should charge a $25 rush fee. Thoughts anybody?

I\'d go for at leats $50. Think about the time that will be spent away from your family to get this finished, and charge according to that.

My mechanic has a sign that reads essentially "poor planning on your part does not create a crisis on my part." Sounds like that\'s what this person needs to remember, and can therefore pay accordingly.

Beth

I guess I could reevaluate but I charged 50% more to do "RUSH" of the normal cost to get in line.

That\'s just me. Not putting someone in front of my paying customers for $25 bucks extra. It isn\'t worth it for me and besides most of my customers that I quilted for knew each other so I had to be fair or it would come back to get me. I kept the rules the same for everyone. lol I\'m really bad but hey "Show me the Money". lolol

I only had two rush jobs in two years that I quilted for others.

I don\'t like to be Rushed. lol

Best wishes

I have a small customer base right now, which is fine with me since I work full-time. I just finished the last of six quilts for one lady and I have five in line, but they are all mine;) So on one hand I\'m thinking maybe I am being greedy for charging extra since I don\'t have a real customer quilt waiting. But on the other hand, I don\'t want to get into the habit of rushing for people and feeling like I am losing control of the situation. Does that make any sense?

It makes total sense.. she is the one in the hurry, not you (I think), so to keep her and anyone else from doing it again, or spreading the word that you don\'t charge extra, put it on paper from the start and solve a lot of headaches that could develop later.

Good Luck, RitaR

Run your business the way that works best for you. If a rush job works for you--you are building your customer base and cannot afford to turn anyone away or you are very quick and can fit a small top in without dissappointing the next customer--go for it.

But please do charge extra for the rush job. This shows you value your other customers in line and also your time.

Things will change and you can revise your rules as your business warrants.

That\'s the great thing about owning your own business--you get to decide!!

Originally posted by gable428

A new customer is going to drop off a quilt top tomorrow night and wants it done ASAP because it\'s going to be a gift for Thanksgiving (which is next week).

LOL, she didn\'t know when Thanksgiving was! These are the same ones who don\'t know that Christmas comes in December and to rush their quilts thru between Thanksgiving and Dec 1 so they have time to bind and wrap it. IF you decide to take the quilt do a simple e2e meander add on at least $50.00 and a calendar with a smile.

My quilting business, I\'m sure, is different from most but it works for me. I fit in rush quilts all the time and I never charge extra. This week I quilted two baby quilts for a set of twins. The customer will give them to grandma, who is visiting now. Rush quilts are the best because they are presents and I love being a part of the gifting process.

I can\'t quilt in order. Just because it is the next in line doesn\'t mean I\'ve gotten the inspiration. But they all get done and in a timely manner.

My clients seem to be OK with the process, too. And apparently, those quilts that need my process seem to find me. I don\'t advertise and I don\'t keep cards in all the local shops. But I get referral calls all the time.

This is the business I\'ve always wanted it to to be so I couldn\'t be happier.

Donna

I am only now beginning to have more regular customers. I have done a few rush jobs and have never charged a penny extra. I figure it is my choice to do the job fast. I also ask each person when they NEED their quilt so they all know the longest it will take to get it back. I also quilt when I feel llike it. Some days I quilt 12 hours other times I do not quilt for a few days. Sometimes I will only work an hour here and there spread thru the day.

There is enough competition in my area that when a new customer needs a quilt now it is usually because another quilter has a longer line and I might win their futue business........and yes I often do.

There might be a time that I decide I have so much business that I can charge extra for a rush job but I am not there yet.

IF I have time and IF it is an easy job, THEN and only then will I even accept a "rush" job. For example, I recently aquired a new customer who needed something in 24 hours in order to get it mailed out to Houston for market. It was a small job and she picked an easy panto for it. I told her up front that I have a rush charge of $45. The actual quilting itself only came to my minimum ($40)

I kind of consider the definition of rush to be 24 - 48 hours. I will not accept any type of custom work on "rush".

Robin

Vista, CA

You are exactly correct to not set a precedence about taking \'rush\' orders, since you are just beginning in your business.

I tell people I don\'t do rush orders. I learned that by helping one lady with a rush order. When I called to let her know it was finished, she informed me she would drop by \'next week\' to pick it up.

Lesson learned for me. Not every \'rush\' is truly an emergency. She just wanted to butt in line and not wait her turn.

Charging the stew out of the customer seems to work well, also.

Archived