Machine question

I have a newbie type of question. I currently have a very old KenQuilt 622 that was not taken care of by its previous owner. I have had nothing but problems with it. Mainly thread issues. Between thread breaking, shredding, and skipped stitches, I am also having almost constant tension issues.

My question is, is this something that is to be expected with an older machine, or is this something that is brand specific?

I have two options I am currently looking at. One is to get rid of my machine and get a new one with stitch regulator and all the bells and whistles'; the other is to send off my machine to get it re-worked and to make sure everything is set up to the factory specs.

Both of these options are going to be a bit expensive, and are not exactly in my budget for the current time. However, I currently have two quilts that are waiting for my machine to feel better. One was due two weeks ago, and the other is due for a baby shower on Saturday. Not a very good way to start a business!

Judging from the KenQuilt web site there are a lot of thread issues, all very similar to mine, and most dealing with my model. So I am not really sure if it is the age, model, or brand. I know this site has a wealth of information and someone here will surely be able to shed a bit of light on my delima.

If a new machine is going to be my answer, then I have to start saving my pennies up again. If I need to send it off, I need to start looking for a good place to send it to.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Nini

I\'m not at all familiar with your quilting system, but some of the things you can check yourself are: thread path, is it threaded correctly with the thread in the tension disc, is the thread old, or fragile, are you moving the head too fast for the speed of the needle, are there burrs on the needle or hook. Is there lint, or a piece of thread caught some where in hook area (use a brush, and some canned air, and a magnifying glass). Is there a burr on the needle plate hole.

The timining could also be off on the machine....with directions you could also check this. Good luck on figuring it out!

How old is your machine? You mention "very old" so maybe it\'s time for a change. A new machine can be expensive, but what about a used machine? If you aren\'t happy with the KenQuilt, then it\'s time to check out all the other brands out there. It seems there are lots of used machines looking for good homes.

Hi Nina,

How old is your "old" machine? I have what is considered an "old" APQS Ultimate II---I\'m not familiar with your model of Kenquilt 622.

When I first set up my machine the wheels and carriage tracks were very dirty, and I know the machine had been used--- a lot. It also had set unused as well. Sitting unused is about the worst thing you can do to a sewing machine or any machine really---the oils and lube grease get old, rancid and turn into a kind of yellow shellac on all the inside parts of the machine....not good. And getting a through cleaning is essential to remove this old gunk.

Perhaps with some tender loving care, you can revive your machine if there is no major wear & tear. New motor brushes might be needed. A new bobbin case. A good cleaning and lube. Extra care to clean in the bobbin race area. I use WD40 and cotton swaps to clean with. Remember that WD40 is not a lubrication for machines---it\'s just for cleaning. After cleaning the machine has to be lubed and oiled with Lithium grease and sewing machine oil.

Remove the needle plate and clean well in that area. If there is a removable side plate where the take up lever is located, clean and lube in there.

Check all your machine thread guides for nicks and burr. Along with feeling with your fingers--a long strip of panty hose nylon ran through those guides will let you know immediately there is a snag or burr. I had to replace all the guides on my Ultimate because the previous owner was fond of using Invisible Nylon thread. Each thread guide was damaged or had burrs due to this practice. Along with nicks on the race and the hole in the needle plate. Emery cloth used with care can remove some nicks and burrs.

I also purchased a new bobbin case because the backlash spring on the one I had was flat and worn.

If you have a good local sewing machine tech. They may well service your machine for you. Check around.

Are you using the right size of needle for this machine? What kind of thread are you using? Tension issues on a machine are usually "user error" unless the timing is really off, or their are burrs and nicks on the spots I previously mentioned. If you are winding your own bobbins they also may be old and out of shape and need replacing. Bobbin winding can be very important. The thread should be stacking tight and even onto the bobbin. There are many factors related to shredding thread, these are just a few.

If the machine has no burrs, is not out of time, and the correct needles, threading and bobbins are in place, it would benefit you see if you can get it to operate well. You could then sell it knowing it is in good condition---or simply use it as "garden art"!:o

If after all efforts--it\'s a total lose, then I would start looking at new machines.

My Ultimate revived very well, she was not too neglected at all. I recently upgraded the wheels, and added an Intellistitch stitch regulator. My cost is still waaaaaayyy---under what a new long arm would cost.

Take care--and let us know how it goes.....

Does your breakage happen when you are going in a certain direction when quilting? When I had the Janome/Grace set-up I could only go in one direction or I had horrible thread problems. I could go from left to right from the front and right to left from the back. I also had to be very careful that my thread did not catch on anything and even now when I am having some issues it mostly is that my thread decided to get wild and get caught someplace. Good-luck

One other thing is don\'t put your quilt sandwich on the rollers too tight.. also with my oldie, a 1928 White, the tension in the bobbin is almost non existant.. and the other thing, if you have a rubber wheel on the motor that drives the flywheel, check it for slickness from oil/grease or from age, use. Clean it well and if necessary very lightly buff it with sand paper to remove the shine. That helps with the thread, too as if it\'s not catching, then does, it can snap the thread.

I\'ve been so blessed with a sewing machine Tech that makes house calls.. and has gotten Butty back up and running several times before we rebuilt him, only once since to get the Timing squared away.

Good luck with your machine and decisions.

RitaR

I love my used Ultimate II it glides smooth as silk stitches all threads and produces lovely stitches, I think sometimes about adding intellistitch but the more I use it the less I need it and I am not sure if I even need to add new wheels

I would have your machine professionally cleaned and tuned up.

but I know the ultimate II is considered a work horse so maybe you can sell yours and get a used ultimate II I really like not having a note to pay on my machine.

good luck

Sparkle,

I have timed, re-timed, and re-timed again. I am using pre wound bobbins, have a new bobbin case, new thread guides, changed the thread to the one the manufacturer reccommended, replaced the check spring, changed the foot... basically everything the tech said, I did.

Then I read your post. Last night I tried the panty hose thing, and guess what! I found two more really BAD places where the thread would snag. I know I remember seeing something about a product that I believe is called emery cord... or something like that. Does anyone know where I can find it? Is it something that Joanns would have, my LQS, or do I have to get it online? I\'m hoping I can find it locally, as I have to get this quilt at least quilted by Saturday. I can bind it for her after the shower, but really need to have the oohs and ahhs for Saturday. The person who \'commissioned\' it (my DIL) promised to pass out my cards to those who wanted to know more about it!

Thanks for everyones help... my husband saw the posts as a sign that he was right all along, I should fix this baby and not put her out to pasture just yet...I\'m still undecided. I have to frog out a bit of stitches on the current baby quilt and hopefully get this monster out to the \'doc\' the week after Thanksgiving.

Nini

Hi Nini,

I\'m glad you are narrowing down the problem.

Try some hardware stores for the emery cord. Or you can buy what they call "Emery Cloth" if you can\'t find actual emery cord. Cut a fine strip of the emery cloth and use it to sand the snag out of the guides. Be sure to place a soft cloth under the area where you are working. You don\'t want any of the grit from the emery cloth down inside your machine. If the hardware stores don\'t have what you need, try buying some from your local sewing machine tech. guy. He will have it for sure....Joann\'s probably will not have such a thing.

You can find it online, but it will take several days to arrive, and you need to get those burrs out soon.

If you can just get your machine to work better, and complete your project---that\'s what matters now. Considering the purchase of a new or used machine can come later.

Another thought: I have had some problems using prewound bobbins. I have since read to take just the outer cardboard off the bobbin. Just leave the back on (the one next to the back of the bobbin case.

Good luck! :)

• 4 months later...

Hi Nini, I used to have a Ken Quilt 622. I sold it to couple of frieds of mine. We bought it back in 94 and it still quilts great with the factory timing. One thing that I have learned through the years of my quilting, if the thread breaks/frays/snaps than you should always check the hook first to see if there are any burrs. If not, proceed with checking all the thread guides............take care.....zeke

Archived