Customer Did Not Piece Backs!

A new customer dropped off three quilt tops (two baby and one full size). When I started loading the first one, I noticed the back was not pieced. She just gave me a bunch of fabric and I had to cut it and sew it. She didn't piece any of them! Needless to say I was not happy. I'll do it this time, but I'm going to charge her. My question is: How much should I charge for having to do this?

Some say $7.00 per seam. Some $10. You might want to check around. Go to some web sites and see what they charge - just as a rule of thumb. Yes, do charge. If you have to seam it, you are going to need to square up the back too - that\'s another charge.

I have customer\'s that hate to seam and square and will pay me to do it. I hate it to and they do pay :)

Gable, this goes back to if you do it for free all will expect it for free. The prices already mentioned are all good so you do have a idea of what is being done around the different areas.

Don\'t give it away, but since she didn\'t mention it before she left it, this does need to addressed before you start the quilts. Don\'t surprise her with an extra charge when she comes to pick them up....that will only upset her and if you mention it first giving her the choice of either you doing it for whatever price, or she taking them back real quick and doing it herself. Things should end on a happy note.

For my good customers, I just pieced the back without charge. It takes me all of 5 minutes to run a seam, cut off the selvage, and iron it. I pin on the backing along the selvage so I don\'t ever square up a backing. I do a better job piecing backs than some of the customers do so it actually makes my job a little easier.

When I did charge, I charged 5$ a seam. Now, if it takes you longer than 5 mintues to do it, then charge accordingly, but I was pretty fast and it really didn\'t bother me. Most of the time a customer was picking out a backing fabric in the store and then dropping the quilt off to be quilted so rather than have them take it home to piece and give them a chance to change their mind about having me quilt it at the store, I just accepted them as they are.

Of course with not being in a quilt shop, it would be different for you. I am to the point now I only do custom quilts so I don\'t quilt too often anymore (which is fine, my body cannot handle that machine all the time anymore, either) because I just dislike doing pantos so much. I hate the structure of it and I love the freedom and creativity of doing custom. So if someone really wanted ME specifically to do a panto, well, they might be charged more for it. Therefore, you could argue that you will charge more for the things that you dislike so that the money will soothe any dislike you may have. :P

Gable, I sure don\'t give any of my time away! I charge $10.00 for every seam I have to make and $20.00 to square up the backing. If you charge them often enough they will get the message and do it themselves if they don\'t want the extra expense......because I sure don\'t WANT to do it.

Renae

First rule of doing customer quilts is to open up all the goods in front of yourself and the customer, then you would have found out that she didn\'t piece the backs and you could have negotiated then saving yourself the trouble and grief. On the other hand call her up and have her pickup the backs and piece them herself. Or..... you could tell her you will do it for a fee... don\'t do it for free, she needs to know how to deliver to a quilt, your her professional quilter, not her piecer....

Thank you everyone for the responses. I called the lady and told her the situation and she said she didn\'t know she needed to piece them! Anyway, Raquel, to answer your question... I don\'t know! MichaelalanPaul, I will do what you suggested from now on. I\'m still so new at this that I don\'t know quite how to handle everything. It\'s definitely been a learning process!

Archived