I'm so excited!

Hi everyone. I am so excited. Yesterday was our local longarm quilters guild meeting. We had a showing of the quilts entered into the 2007 President's Challenge as well as the awarding of ribbons. The challenge this year was to create a wholecloth quilt using one 40 inch square cut of fabric. I used black fabric with neon lime green thread and lots of crystals. I didn't digitize the design I used. I used a block from a set by One Song Needle Arts (Davin's Joy - block 13). I set this block 3 across and 3 down which created a secondary pattern. I won a blue ribbon (1st place) in the computer assisted category. This is the first quilt I have entered into any type of competition. There is no free motion on this quilt - it is 100% done using the CompuQuilter.

I'll try to post some pictures.

Sue in Scottsdale, AZ

APQS Millie w/CompuQuilter

CQDigitizers List Owner

post--13461898741566_thumb.jpg

HOT DOG........CONGRATULATION SUE :)

Fantastic quilt, Lime green thread on black is my favorite. That blue looks pretty special too. I seems like yesterday we set up your CQ.

I have got to get one, I am green with envy;) I just love what you can do with them.

Keep up the good work. Love the pattern.

Myrna

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your comments. I was a nervous wreck waiting for the results. I almost didn\'t submit it because I didn\'t think it was show quality. My husband said I had nothing to lose - just do it! So I did ;)

Melora, I used a Floriani polyester embroidery thread. This is a two-ply thin thread and it worked beautifully in my Millie. The only problem I had was having it unravel when I tried to tie a knot and bury the ends. I believe the thread "pops" because of the contrast of the black fabric and the lime green thread. The crystals also really make the entire quilt pop. I used two different sizes of the crystals and two colors - clear and peridot.

There was no marking on this quilt. As I mentioned it is done 100% with my CompuQuilter. There is only one block design used. I placed 3 blocks across and 3 blocks down which gives the appearance of several different block designs. I did have to align each block properly but this is fairly easy with the CompuQuilter. I also used a very small stitch - I think about 14 spi - because of the intricate design and slowed the speed down.

What I think is interesting with the thread I used is that depending on how the light shines on it, it changes color - sometimes a section will look dark green, almost like a Christmas green, and other times it looks more yellowish and then the overall appearance is the neon lime green. Very interesting:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived