Black Encoder Wheels - Help!! All Fixed for now...

barbm

I have been having ongoing problems with my stitch regulator - the rubber encoder wheel at the back of the machine is just too loose. I\'ve tried moving it closer to the carriage wheel, and that worked for a short time, but now I can\'t get it in tight at all. Anybody got any suggestions?

On a related topic: would a loose encoder wheel/SR problem cause thread to break? Or do I have an entirely different problem there?

I had the same problem awhile back. I was told that the wheels start to wear out after awhile. How long have you had your machine? Perhaps the wheel needs to be replaced.

APQS also had me try to adjust the encoder wheel up and down. Loosen the set screws on the encoder wheel and nudge the wheel up just slightly then retighten the set screws.

Hope this helps.

Debbi

Thanks for the prompt response, Debbi - I have only had my Millie for about eight months, but I purchased it used - it\'s at least three years old, so maybe new encoder wheels would be a good idea.

I just singlehandedly flipped my back carriage wheel over - it looked like the encoder wheel had rubbed part of the carriage wheel smooth over time. It seems like the encoder wheel is making better contact, at least a little bit - we\'ll see if this gets it going well enough to finish the quilt I have to have done by tomorrow!

It\'s going from bad to worse: the encoder wheels seem to be making proper contact, but now I have skipped/long stitches. It appears that the needle is going down but not catching the bobbin thread --- sometimes....

After researching here, it looks like it might be a timing problem - gasp!! Can anybody suggest anything else before I call my customer and tell her the quilt she wanted to take with her for Thanksgiving won\'t be anywhere close to done?

I don\'t know what fixed it for sure, but I\'m quilting again! I put in a new needle (again), took off the extended base and cleaned everything I could find, and now the skipped stitches are gone. Could it have been something as simple as a poorly placed needle? I\'m not sure whether I hope it was or hope it wasn\'t.....

Just told my DH that I want a new set of wheels for Christmas:P

Hey Barb,

It sounds like you may have had a bad needle. It might have been bent slightly and not crossing with the hook properly. And you do want to watch the encoder wheel as they will wear down just like a car tire does. At that point it is pretty easy to just change the rubber wheel.

Take care,

Thanks, Mark. I\'m assuming the encoder wheels are available through APQS? My Millie is 3½ years old (we think) - when should I consider replacing the carriage wheels?

And BTW. the customer was delighted with her quilt - not bad for two hours actual quilting time!

Archived