Binding Machine & Embroidery Machine?

Pam C

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing a binding machine and a embroidery machine. I would like to know what brands quilters out there are using and how well their machines are liked?

Where to purchase?

Your input is well appreicated. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hello Pam,

I used to have a commercial bindng machine (which I used twice)... and I ended up selling it as I hated the look of the binding stitches sewn on both sides. Call me crazy but I prefer to not see the stitches on my binding. LOL!! There are a few machine quilters around here that serge their quilt's edges and their customers love it. I actually think it looks better serged than some of the "binding machine jobs" I've saw in the past. Please don't flame me people.... these binding jobs were bad!!!

As far as embroidery machines go.. I currently have a Brother ULT 2003D which I bought in fall of 2002. It has been a very good machine and has a ton of hours on it with no trouble what-so-ever. However that being said, I might like to have a Janome 11000 as their hooping system looks better than the Brother machines.... from what I have seen. Keep in mind, I have not owned a Janome embroidery machine, so I can't say anything from personal experience. All in all, I have no complaints with my ULT at all.. It has more than given me my money's worth, and the cost was much less than some of the other brands. I have a lot of embroiderer friends who are excited about the new Brother PR600 which runs about $9000 (I think??)

There are several tradeshows around the country that cater to the embroidery machine user, and one (I believe?) is in Omaha?? There are routinely VDTA/SDTA tradeshows in Las Vegas if you care to schedule a vacation in the same time frame as the show-LOL!!! You might go to http://www.sewingeducators.com or http://www.vdta.com to see where the nearest show is for you.

Good Luck in your search!!!

***By the way.... Are there any experienced serger owners who live near me??? I have a new White Superlock 2000 ATS sitting unopened since last November that I have NO idea of how to use! I suppose I could read the manual or watch the video.... but I would rather someone come and show me how to use it in person!! LOL!!! I will trade a day of serger training for a day of freehand quilting lessons if someone wants to come to my place!! NO KIDDING- I AM SERIOUS!!!! Someone make me an offer!!!!!:D:cool::P

Tina, Sure wish I lived closer. My DH is talking about moving, too bad the timing isn't better, but I see you already have an offer to help. As for embroidery machines, I have had a Brother machine and a Viking Designer 1. If you are going to do just embroidery, I would say go for the Brother. It is a great machine.

When buying an embroidery machine, you have to have an idea as to what you are going to embroidery as some machines only stitch within a 4"x4" area, others stitch a larger area. Also keep in mind, that you have to have a way to get the stitches into the machine so it knows what to stitch. Some machines let you hook up a computer directly to the machine, others use a floppy disc or their own specialized disc. Also, you will need to invest in sometype of software so you can get the designs from the computer to the mode that the embroidery machine will accept. Not trying to discourage you as I wouldn't be without mine, but many questions to ask and decide. See if there are any machine dealers in your area, go visit, and try them out.

My tol Brother, innovis 4000d is wonderful, but it is kind of expensive. I think places other than So. Cal. offer way better deals on it. Brother just came out with some more middle sized machine with large hoop areas, that look more reasonably priced. Just not all the bells and whistles, kind of like comparing the Mille to the Freedom. HTH

Kerri

Hi Pam,

I have 3 embroidery machines, and a binding machine...They are all great for different things..On the embroidery machine, check around and see for sure what you want. They can get real expensive, and like computers,they seem to come out with something new all the time...Decide what you will be using it for..Do you want just an embroidery machine, or a sewing and embroidery machine. Do you want one mostly to do lables, or do you want it to do a lot more...just a few thoughts. Allbrands sometimes has some good prices...But if you can go to a shop that sells them, and shows you how to use them, that would be good.

My binder is an old Juki with a 2 inch binding attachment....I have had it for about 10 years, and I do a lot of quilts on it...Some people like to do their own, but if they just want to get their quilt finished, they have been happy with the binding it does.

If you have any questions you can e-mail me...

I have some photos of the machines on webshots..user.. sjbquilts if you are interested..

Sandy

Ahhh Good point Charlene!!

I only use my Brother ULT for embroidery, and the largest sewing field is 6 1/4 x 10 1/4. It uses a floppy to transfer the information to the machine and I do have the converting and the digitizing software. Watch out for the lower priced machines that will only take cards... Cards are very expensive!!! ... and even if you have an amazing box or other conversion software, you still have to either buy blank cards all the time or continually erase and reload the designs. Make sure the embroidery machine has a floppy download or connects directly to the computer for the transfer of design information!!!

• 1 month later...

I have the Singer Futura. Got it for a good deal on Ebay and liked the idea that it uses my existing computer. It is a nice machine, but is what I would consider "entry-level" I haven't had any real problems with it (mostly operator error :)) The large hoop is not that large (about 5 X 7) but I think there are after-market hoops that you can get. I only really have 2 things I don't like and am working on... You can only open one downloaded design at a time, so doing say a butterfly next to a flower would take doing the flower, then trying to place the butterfly using just measurements. I hope I have just missed something in the directions. The other thing I would like is more typestyles/fonts. It comes with 2 very plain ones and the script programs I've seen so far aren't compatable. All in all I've been happy with it and will keep trying to work out those few bugs.

I have a Bernina Artista 200E and really like it. I'm working on mastering the software I recently purchased to digitize my own designs and it seems once you get the protocol down, it's pretty slick. I've owned Berninas for about 15 years now and I've always been very happy with them.

By the time you pay for the machine and the software and/or a magic box to translate designs into ART format, you've spent a bunch of money, but then, all these models of embroidery are expensive. I have also become an unforgivable threadaholic (not that I wasn't already with my longarm).

The only thing that has been bothersome to me with Bernina is the ART format they use. It's been fairly easy MOST of the time to convert other formats, but sometimes it just doesn't want to go and it gets frustrating.

The trade shows is a great idea if you have one close. I think in my area in central US, in a radius of about 50 miles, most of the major brands of machines are represented. There's nothing like sitting down and trying them out.

About a binding machine, I'm getting better and better about attaching the binding on a quilt on the longarm and my mother in law does all the hand work in tacking them down, so......(I quilt all her quilts for her and she does all my handwork....works for me!!!!!)

Good luck in your decision.

Vicki

Originally posted by Pam C

A Big Thank You to all who have taken the time to replyl

I have purchased a emb. machine Bernina Artista 165 and I have not purchased a binding machine.

Is there an attachment to use on the longarm to sew on binding?

Thanks,

Have you tried the quilt binder attachment at www.quiltbinder.com

Thanks

You don't need a binding machine to be able to attach the binding on while it is still on your machine.

I use the floating top method and then when I am done with my quilting I back the quilt up to the lead off rollers and then sew my binding on while it is on the machine.

I got the instructions off of gadget girls website, which I belived Judy L posted the link for it on here about 6-8 mos ago.

I offer binding service to my customers at two levels, either I sew it on the top only for .05c and inch or I offer to trim, turn and hand sew it onto the back for .25c and inch. Most of my customers prefer the cheaper of the two, and say it is worth it.

It is not time consuming it at all, it only takes me about 1/2 hour to do a queen and I don't mind doing it at all.

I, too, attach binding with the longarm after the quilting is done.

I back the quilted quilt onto the backing roller, start in the middle of the top and stitch the binding onto the quilt to the rt corner, miter the corner and then stitch down the rt side as far as I can go. Then I go back up to the center of the top and do the same on the lt side. Stitch down both sides of the quilt and then miter the bottom corners one at a time leaving an opening through the center of the bottom as one usually would, ~10-15". I then measure the binding to the quilt with about a 3-4" overlap, finger crease a generous hem on the outside, pin in place and carefully stitch the last 10-15" of the binding. It's really very similar to the way I would do it on a short arm without the final diagonal seam.

When the binding is brought to the back to be handstitced, I usually whip stitch that bottom closure to secure it (or if the customer is doing the hand work, I show them what needs to be done the first time).

I also offer two different binding services and most of my customers request that I just attach the binding to the quilt. I don't have the patience for much hand work these days so I charge outrageously for it.

This was a technique that I first heard about at Sue Schmeiden's shop in Wisconsin. She really does a fine job and I've picked up a lot of tips from her and her daughter, Angie. She has a really wonderful facility and does great workshops with traveling teachers throught the year. If you ever have a change to go, do it. She has great web site, too. www.longarmconnection.com.

I like to give credit where it's due. This was not my idea, but I sure love using the technique.

Vicki

Country Quilt Studio

Nevada, Iowa

www.countryquiltstudio.com

Whoops, forgot to address the batting and backing trim issue.

I almost always rough trim quilts with scissors as they come off the frame leaving about an inch or so of backing and batting. The customer then does the final trimming after they attach their binding. I still have some customers who want to bring the back around to the front of the quilt to bind it. I must admit that I discourage this. Don't know why exactly because that works, too, but when asked, I don't trim at all.

If I've attached the binding and the customer is going to finish the quilt, I do the same rough trim with scissors. If I'm going to finish it, I trim the batting and backing with a rotary cutter and ruler with a 1/4" overhang to fill the 1/2" binding that I've attached. It's not really any different than conventional techniques for trimming.

Email me if you want.

Vicki

I also offer binding service, and my technique is very similar to the others described, with one exception. I start attaching the binding from the very beginning, rather than backing the quilt up after the quilting is finished.

I start by quilting the first whole section of the quilt. Then I find the middle of the binding strip, and start about in the middle of the top of the quilt and stitch to the right, miter the corner, then stitch down the right side as far as I can go. Then I go back to the middle of the top of the quilt, and stitch to the left, miter that corner, and stitch down the left as far as I can go. I have to watch for those loose ends of the binding as I am advancing the quilt, but that is really no problem. Then I quilt the next section, and continue with the binding down both sides. I use 1/4 inch overlap from my previous binding stitches to "set" the stitches.

A little input on the "binding machine"...

They are good for what they are good for...

Of course, a nice, heirloom, hand pieced or fancy quilt with alot of work isn't going to want this 'sewn both sides" binding. But for "cottage" quilts, dorm quilts, throws, lap quilts, etc. It's the real thing. For those you are wanting something fast and durable.

I have a CONSEW and it is a good heavy reliable machine. It is hard for me to find binding materials already cut and in the spool. At present, I am cutting my own for ea. individual quilt. If someone knows where I might be able to purchse the large spools of binding fabric, drop in a note here.

Thanks.

Now I'm going to try binding on the long arm and probably get so good at it I'll wonder why I paid $800 for a binding machine...lol.

Boy, I sure appreciate the detailed instructions and intend to tackle this.

ML

Another thing to think about when you apply the binding using your longarm is whether or not the quilt top is square. Sometimes the top will start out with square corners and straight sides but the stitching will slightly distort the quilt.

I apply binding on baby and utility quilts this way, but I use my DSM for most customer quilts. I will say that the longarm way is quick to learn and also to do!

I have also learned to block my quilts and this will take care of distortion, especially caused by uneven density of quilting---like if you have micro-stippling around appliques and less dense stitching in the rest of the top.

Deanna's tip about applying the binding as you go is great! I always learn something new here.

Linda Rech

Washington State

I love my Millennium

• 3 weeks later...

Archived