batting/top hammock thingee

Jeanette

Someone ask for a picture of the 'hammock' I devised to keep the floated top and the batting off the floor. I have a Nolting (the alien!) but the fasteners or something similar should work on any table. This is hung on the underside of the front of the table and I just stuff the batting and the top into it. The two pieces of PVC are not hooked together so the hammock can expand as needed.

post--13461898783715_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

I do have another question. Has anyone successfully made this type of hammock where you can hook it to one bar? I\'ve been watching and reading the boards about floating your quilts and removing one bar is helpful. I can\'t figure out how to make this fit on only one bar.

Thanks!

Liz

I did it. I used velcro on each end, made the hammock long enough to go the entire length of the roller bar, then I wrap the velcro around the ends, instead of the roller. It works beautifully and I love not having a dirty quilt or batting when I am done! I just re-installed mine today after my move. You can find cheap clearance fabric. You will need around 12\' of velcro for each end. Attach the smooth side to one side of the end of the fabric, and the loop side to the other. Same on the other end. Easy!!:D:D:D

Nancy

Wow, what a bunch of creative problem-solvers we have here!

I just got the Nancy\'s Notions newsletter and a product she offers for $99 is a collapsible wood-framed sling that sits on the floor in front of your ironing board to receive your freshly ironed yardage or a backer to keep it off the floor. It opens to 35" and is 65" long. Two of those together would be great to hold the batting/top off the floor and it could be collapsed and stored when not needed--but $200 is a little steep for me!

I love the hammock idea--you all are great thinkers!

I made one simular to Nancy\'s out of a king size flat sheet. It doesn\'t quiet reach the full length of my table but it\'s close (within a foot on each end) and I cut about 1/3 of the width of the sheet off, attached some twill tape to the 4 corners and then tied each end to the frame. It works for me. Velcro would have been better, but I didn\'t want to have to drive across town to go and get it, so I used what I had.

Archived