2nd customer quilt update

smd719

Am VERY VERY frustrated. Started working on the quilt last week. Checked tension...looked OK. Rolled quilt...tension was terrible...but OK in the spots I looked at.

**Ripped it all out.

Re-pinned with back seam horizontal~~learned my lesson with that one, I did! Anyway, am happily quilting away, checking my sides, full float, doing pretty good work...get to the last roll...sides WAY (WAY) longer than the middle. LOVELY curvey drape in the center of the bottom.

**Ripping it all out.

Boy, am I learning on this one. I'm doing everything I've read here. I'm thinking it's the LONG LONG fabric stripe strips that are causing this issue. I also think they're polyester, not cotton.

Next plan of attack is to partial float (pin bottom edge of top to top roller), baste or pin horizontally all the way down, re-roll, then have at it.

And...am using King Tut spools. Could NOT get the tension right using the horizontal spool holders so using cone spot. That seems to be working.

Anything else? No, I think that about covers it!!

Hi Everyone:

I\'ve completed the frogging of the quilt and have loaded it on the machine with the lower edge of the top on the quilt top roller, partial floating. I\'ve basted (long horizontal running stitch) about every 6" all the way down to the bottom edge. Stripes are straight, sides are a little puffy but nothing that can\'t be "worked in"!.

My next step is to unpin the lower edge of the top and re-roll everything onto the backing roller~~right??? I DON"T want to have to rip again. I\'m almost there...it\'s so close!!

If I didn\'t have to go to my "real" job tomorrow, I\'d stay home and do this stupid thing...I mean quilt. :)

Thanks for listening.

I feel your frustration. I just finished my BIL\'s Christmas quilt and everything started perfect, I went to bed for the night and started again the next morning with nothing but problems.

The thread broke every few inches nothing I did made a bit of diffrence, this was the same cone of thread I used on a previous quilt with out any problems. So we agreed to disagree and I left it alone for a day and went back to it. Still had a TON of problems (I\'m blaming the weather) but toughed it through. Then I got to the last row and my backing fabric was 8 inches short! Ugh, everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong.

I ended up using some of the tips and ideas that I read about in this forum and got it fixed and finished. I am not looking forward to binding it. :mad:

I hope everything finishes up well for you.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Stephanie,

I really can relate.....have done alot!!!!! of unsewing..haha on quilts I did a few months ago with problems of tension more than anything...slowly learning what threads my machine likes and different methods of finishing the edges so I don\'t have as many starts and stops....starting to make a list of things i need to purchase to make my life easier.....Towa gauge?maybe, quickbooks?maybe, more bobbin cases definitely!! lots to learn but alot of years to learn it in......my DH makes it easier for me to be a kept woman...luckily he has gotten far enough in his career that i can experiment with the machine and slowly build up my business.....I want everything to just work out now and that is the hard thing to get my head around..that there is a learning curve just like anything else and I need to have patience.....I am sure everyone has been at this point at one time or another....now I don\'t feel like the only one if that is a consolation to you...Denise

Archived