Do you mark your top before you load or "wing it" as you go???

quiltmonkey

Hi friends,

These past few nights I have been playing around with an applique quilt top of mine (it\'s Christmassy--I\'m trying to get in the spirit of the season!) and I am doing lots of experimenting with different types of threads and creating some fun quilting designs in the blocks. I am learning a lot as I go. Before I really got started with the fun part, I did the SID around all of the center blocks to stabilize the quilt, and I have the borders and edges pin basted real nice and good so it doesn\'t move as I roll back and forth. I have been using Monopoly in the bobbin and so far so good with that.

My question is, when you get a quilt, do you like to mark it before you put it on the frame or do you like to wing it as you go? With this quilt, I am winging it and letting each block "speak" to me before I go for it. So far, I haven\'t had to rip too much (just a little bit). Let\'s hope the trend continues and I stay on track to complete by Friday... I am hoping to finish this quilt by this Friday and will share some photos of the finished quilt with you (if I don\'t screw it up too much LOL!) (I really do have hidden agenda...I also wanna show it off at my quilt guild\'s Christmas party this Saturday! :P)

Any tips or advice you can give I would be grateful to you.

Here\'s a helpful hint I will share: Put on some Jazzy Christmas music while you quilt and it makes the whole experience a little more fun. ...even when ya gotta do some ripping... ;)

Blocks up to 12 inchs I do as I go....blocks bigger than 12 I need to pre-mark as my machine only has a 14 inch working area...and they need to be quilted in two swipes. Borders I always pre-marks that way I know they are going to fit and I do the top and bottom borders, body of the quilt and then flip to do the other two sides.

If I am only doing a piano key border I do pre-mark so I know that I have equal spacing, but I sew as I go top, bottom, sides that I can reach and body as I go....

I will go both ways. There are many things that I can just wing it as I go and other times I want it jsut so. Sometimes this will happen on different parts of the same quilt.

Sometimes I am doing something as simple as tick marks with chalk or pins to mark a place right on the frame, other times it gets marked first.

I think there is no right or wrong way.

I do both, depending on the quilt. I am not so good at "eyeballing" stuff like border corners, so I tend to mark at least some registration lines.

Let me get this straight, you live in NORTH POLE, Alaska, right next door to Santa and you are "trying to get into" the Christmas Spirit?! Boy Howdy, us down here in the Lower 48 have a lot to learn, I guess!

Robin in

Vista, California where Christmas means HOT, DRY Santa Ana winds off the desert....

Hi Robin in Vista,

Yes, you are correct...Santa\'s house is right down the road from me (about five miles away) and regarding getting into the Christmas spirt -- well, about this time last year I was recovering from surgery and a broken foot, on crutches, could barely move, I was scared about my future and if I could ever walk again, I was in a depressive state of mind, and barely a happy spirit was living inside me last Christmas, so I am trying to make up for lost time. :)

Sherry, it\'s good to see your gorgeous smiley face back on the chat! I\'ve missed you. Please don\'t be such a stranger...OK?

Thanks everyone for your replies. Happy quilting.

If you really want to get into the holiday spirit...take off a day from work, pick up your 3 y.o. grand-daughter and go shopping at WalMart. I could give her a name and she would know just what they needed. She did try to sneak in a 6 pack of playdoh for herself that I had to veto. It was a great day and I felt a whole lot mor \'in the spirit\' when I got home last night.

:cool: I LOVE YO WING IT!!!! The only thing I plan in advance is thread colour;) After the thread is spun on the bobbins and loaded on the back of the machine or those wonder dual spool holders that I could never live without, I put in my ear sets, turn up my i pod and dance and quilt till she\'s done:D:P:o Oh sorry I have been unable to quilt over the last month or so but just got the thumbs up to handle my Freedom again.... I feel like a kid the day before Christmas, I probable won\'t make it through the night.... I may have to put the kids to bed and sneak off to the studio for a little all nighter ;) Hope everyone has a wonder Christmas ... ps a little birdy told me that Santa\'s new sled.... can handle the wonder light wieght of all the APQS machines so don\'t forget to put them on the list LOL ;):cool:

Sue wings it and does some great stuff but even after 3 days I still prefer to plan my quilting! LOL Sue I know you tried. I\'m getting braver though! Hope you are jamming and happy quilting.

Shana - I prefer to give myself an outline and then go from there! Gives me a little security I think. Someday maybe I\'ll quilt 1/2 as much as Sue and that too would be a ton of quilting! You should see her itty bitty feather meander...WOW!

Heidi

Archived