Should I sell my longarm?

One year ago I decided to go into the longarm business and spent $15,000 on a new machine. I got discouraged trying to juggle my crazy family life and I haven't touched the machine for 6 months and put it up for sale. My machine is awesome but no has ever heard of a Proto, so I'm having trouble selling it. My current price is $10,000 which makes me sick. Now I am thinking I gave up too quickly and I should give it another try. Any suggestions? Is there really money to be made in this business?

Jenifer

Jenifer

I think you should give it another try....what is there to lose?

It sounds to me like you don't really want to sell. Maybe since you already have everything, you should pull back and re assess your goals? Perhaps a slower steadier pace would be better for you. If money and selling the machine isn't an issue for you, maybe you could "start over". What is the hurry anyway? If family life is crazy...start slow. Take in a quilt a month to start. Work on your own and make quilting friends. You will get some work just from doing that. Just don't make a rash decision you will just be sick about. Be kind to yourself and take the time to figure out what will make you happy. Good luck to you!

Diana

Jennifer,

I have to agree, you should not be so quick to sell. If you don't need the money, then hang onto it.

I have had my machine a year now, sometimes I can't get away from it, othertimes it will sit for a while before I can get to it. Just because the machine is there, does not mean you have to use it.

The other thing I learned when I first got going was to always have a quilt loaded on the machine if you have one available. That way if you want to go to it, it is already loaded.

I too have a crazy life, school, family, social life, my motorcycle. But when me and DH decided to buy the machine one of the things we agreed on was that if I could make money on it, it would be great, if not, then it was availble to me and customers. We did not count or set our hearts on the fact that I would kill myself to be able to break even on the payments every month.

I am gathering from your post that you are not a wasteful person. I am not either. But, if you realize that sometimes you need to have a fun toy around, kinda like men and their cars, boats and tools, it does not seem like you wasted a bunch of money.

Blessings and hugs

Thanks for all your comments, I'm feeling pressured by my husband to sell because he bought it for me expecting the income would support my hobby. We could use the extra space as an office for our new restaurant opening soon, and the extra money. I could buy another machine 5 - 10 years from now when my babies are in school.

ToManyQuilts:

I have a Proto Stitch Wizard, I am located in Cottonwood, Ca (two hrs north of Sacramento) 14' table, Hydraulic lift, Stitch regulator with computerized keypad and motorized quilt advance. Circle and diagonal maker, ruler base and foot, serperate bobbin winder. The machine is very heavy duty and runs so smoothly. If you could find a buyer I would be willing to pay a finders fee.

Jenifer

I have to agree with the rest don't give up too soon. It takes time to build your business. Was the resturant a huge success right at first. You ususally have to expect the ups and downs, and be willing to support your business for a while. The resturatn would be a great way to display your work. You could always still list it for sale if that is the way you want to go and continue to use it. You might change your mind.

Archived