Everything I know about wool

I submitted this thread in response to Judi\'s thread entitled Retayne question, but because it is really a different subject, I thought I would start a new thread for those interested in wool.

[align=center]* * * * *[/align]

Some things I forgot to mention in that thread:

1. "Bonded wool" is to be strictly avoided because it is of such inferior quality that it cannot stand on its own and needs the bonded fabric in order to be worked with;

2. Wool must be protected with some kind of moth repellant; and

3. Wool is a natural fiber and must "breathe", so don\'t store it in plastic bags. They give off some kind of a gas that destroys the wool.

4. 100% pure wool burns only reluctantly, smolders really, and will never be the ignition point of a fire. If it burns quickly, or holds flame, there is a synthetic added. Wool gives off a unique (protein) odor when burned, and the smoke is gray. Polyester makes black smoke (remember oil field fires -- polyester is oil-based), so if the smoke is anything except gray, it is not 100% wool.

[align=center]* * * * [/align]

In my previous life before I discovered quilting, I made (23) braided wool rugs. I collected wool garments from thrift stores (in the early 80\'s I could buy wool skirts for 25 cents each, about the price of a new zipper at that time -- and I kept all the zippers!) and took them apart, washed, and stored them. I now have 18 banana boxes full of wool in my garage waiting to be recycled into rugs. I was planning to make braided rugs well into "my dotage," and then I got bitten by the quilting bug...

Most good 100% wool will not bleed, but the rule is always to wash same colors together. Of all the fabrics, wool takes dye the most easily and retains it - - the idiom "dyed in the wool" means secure, unchanging, etc., a "dyed in the wool conservative."

The moth ball smell will dissipate in a few days when exposed to fresh air without being washed. Be glad the fabric was so well protected.

If you want to shrink /"felt" wool (a.k.a. how to ruin a wool sweater) wash in boiling hot water, agitate, rinse in cold water, and dry in the dryer. This is what I did with my wool because I wanted it shrunk and the fibers as close together as possible.

Most of the time that is not the desired result, however, and when you do not want to shrink wool, the basic rule is no agitation and no drastic changes in temperature. That means both washing and rinsing should be done with tepid water (I used to think that hand washing in cold water meant meant freezing my hands in ice water - not so). Hand washing is recommended, back to the no agitation rule, but if your "gentle cycle" is truly gentle and short, you may be able to get away with it; otherwise, just soak the wool with no agitation at all. Wool does not take up dirt easily but gives it up easily. It can handle the spin dry cycle.

That\'s been my experience. Some of my hand-made rugs are now more than 20 years old, and I now know that I made them out of fabric that was way too thin for rugmaking. Now that thinner fabric will become quilt batting and quilt tops.

I have a wool braided rug under my longarm that my mother made early in my childhood. I don\'t remember her making this particular rug, but I remember it always being around. It has survived 3 small children and numerous pets while it lived at the parents house. Then it got sent to college to live with my oldest brother for a year, then to the house that about 6 of them shared at college. Although it\'s got some braids that are coming apart, it still looks great for it\'s age of greater than 40 years. Not to mention that it keeps my feet warm while I\'m quilting in the basement, and reminds me of mom and all the wonderful things that she\'s made for us through the years.

Beth

Hi AnnHenry,

I have used the Quilter\'s Dream wool batting and I love it. It never gets as hot as poly and has such a nice drape.

I was thinking about giving the quilt with the wool to my DIL\'s mother. I am so glad that you posted some care instructions for wool. I never knew that it gave off an odor when sealed in plastic. I have large zippered quilt/comforter bags that I get from Cleanersupply.com that have breathable sides. Do you think that would be OK to store a quilt made with wool in. I haven\'t smelled a moth ball since I left the east coast. :o

Do you think that southern California requires the same wool storage precautions as cold-weather states?

To Linda Ramona

I have used the Quilter\'s Dream wool batting and I love it. It never gets as hot as poly and has such a nice drape.

Wool (and cotton, bamboo, etc.) are natural fibers, and they breathe which is why they do not get uncomfortable and why they drape naturally. Polyester is a form of plastic, which is why it does not drape nicely and why it feels like you are wearing a plastic bag.

I never knew that it gave off an odor when sealed in plastic.

Not what I said . . . some plastic bags give off a gas (not necessarily detectable by nose) that over time damages natural fibers. We should not store any natural fiber, specifically our quilts, in plastic bags. Store in 100% cotton pillowcases (100% takes some finding . . )

I have large zippered quilt/comforter bags that I get from Cleanersupply.com that have breathable sides. Do you think that would be OK to store a quilt made with wool in.

To me the purpose of storing something in a plastic bag is to keep it airtight. The holes would defeat that purpose in addition to letting the buggies in, plus the danger of emission of the gas. I wouldn\'t recommend it.

Do you think that southern California requires the same wool storage precautions as cold-weather states?

Yes, there are protein-eating creatures all over the planet. I have also found from bitter experience that those ugly brown cockroaches that are about an inch long (we called them water bugs in the midwest) love wool--and will chew through plastic to get to it! I have also seen regular wool moths here.

Cedar is the nicest way to protect against moths. The ultimate is a cedar chest or a cedar-lined closet which would be a complete luxury. Cedar wood is very expensive, but you can buy just one length of closet siding and cut it into numerous small pieces to protect many things. When the fragrance dissipates, just a little light sanding will refresh the fragrance. You can also buy cedar shavings at the Pet Store where it is sold as bedding for some animals.

Moth balls are effective and are the cheapest protection, but do note that they "evaporate" over time so one dose won\'t last forever. The moth ball smell does not have to be washed out but will go away after a couple of days in fresh air.

Archived