Hot off the machine DWR (pics)

If anyone is interested, here's another way to do these DWR's. This doesn't require any SID other than the corners. It's all feathers! I saw this posted on a longarm chat a long time ago so I can't take credit for it, but I always wanted to try it. This was a hand stitched top, not greatly made, but decent. I like how it turned out and I love avoiding the SID!

dwr1.jpg

dwr2.jpg

dwr3.jpg

Fantastic Job.. I have 7 dwrs coming up next year.. was going to do sort of a swing out and back to the corners.. may think it a bit. Each large background piece will have a state name or other info in it.. so don\'t want it too barren, nor too heavily quilted, to take months on each.

Thanks for the idea.

RitaR

• 1 year later...

Merry Jo,

It's June 2009 and I remembered your quilt from way back in Dec. 2007...

I just got a DWR (my first one) and the customer is on a tight budget (she has 4 kids, one is a newborn) she wants to keep the cost to a minimum. I immediately thought of your feathers going around the blocks and did a search here and found your photos. Thanks for the great idea! This will be quick and effective and cost-efficient, too! The blocks were paper pieced and each block is tiny tiny! Not exaggerating, I think the ring blocks are less than 10 inches in diameter and the patchwork pieces are 3/4" in size. Tiny! So, to keep this continuous (no stopping/starting) most likely I will just feather around the pinched square and melon areas and call it good, and ditch through the piecing over to the next area to feather, etc.... (no SID for me!!!) I'll post a pic when finished. Wish me luck!!!!

Shana...your memory is incredible...and timely;) I have a DWR to do, my own, and was wondering how to do it. This is a great method.

What kind of batting will you be using? I want mine to have definition--its just wall hanging size.

Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

The quilt I have is pretty big! It's probably queen size. She gave me a roll of Hobbs Heirloom. It will look nice.

All this time, I've kept Merry Jo's DWR quilt tucked in my mind because I thought it was a great way to do a quilt like this that was not E2E and did not require a lot of stops/starts, but still had a pretty classic look.

great job.

You did a fantastic job.

I have only ever made one DWR and it was my 2nd quilt. It came out beautiful as it was hand quilted by an experience hand quilter. I have never seen anyone since to match those tiny stitches. The quilter was my daughters MIL to be and it was a joint effort. I now have the quilt as the marriage ended and I insisted she get the quilt. She wants me to keep it for her for now.

Merry Jo - I also saw that a few years back and did one just like it. You're right, it cuts down a lot of time and looks great. My feathers at that time were not the best (still aren't) but the quilt still looked good. Great job. This is now my favorite way to do DWR's

Ha! Boy was I suprised to see this one surface again! It's the easiest way I've found to do these quilts. The Hobbs 80/20 looks good, too. It defines the quilting nicely. I've done 3 of these in the last 2 months and have a fourth one on the machine right now! The customer brought me Hobbs Tuscany washable wool batt (this is her 2nd one) and it is so nice to work with. Lovely.

Since I started doing these this way, nobody has wanted them any other way! (Lucky for me!) I start seeing feathers in my sleep on a big one of these, but that's better than all that SID!:P

Archived