Hot off the machine DWR (pics)

Dorothy,

Naw....just feathered the melon, traveled through to the middle of the connecting squares, did some leaves, then on to the spinched square, started in the corner and feathered around it, echoing into the middle. Then it's a stop and start, but it beats all the SID. If you don't want to start and stop, just stipple the middle and creep back through a corner feather, travel through the connecting square and your're off and running again. Does that make sense?

I don't tie off, just backtrack a few tight stitches. The rings aren't quilted, but if they need held down, I would do something continuous, kinda Pam Clarkish stuff. I didn't think the rings needed stitched down. They kinda poof just a little and they really pop.

I love that ;)- and I have a DWR to do - when I get the time! I can see the feathers in the big blocks - and in the melons. What did you do on the actual rings? I can't quite work it out! Any advice you have would be gratefully received.;)

Really looking forward to getting mine done - though it may take me a while to pluck up courage! :)

I thought I would share this customer quilt I just finished. It is a queen size, 100"x87" and is 15 rows long, 13 rows wide (total of 195 rings in this thing!!!) :o The rings are small, about 9" across in diameter. I used Merry Jo's technique and feathered along the inside edges. The melon pieces are small so I just feathered along one edge. I figured out a way to do one row continuously without stopping (eeked my way through by SID in the 4 patches) so it went fairly fast. When I finished, I turned the quilt and quilted the opposing rows of melons. The customer is not the best piecer in the world....(she needs some lessons on piecing and pressing) and she's on tight budget, she wanted it to be cost effective. This was a good way to quickly accomplish a custom job without it costing a lot of $$. Thanks for the great idea, Merry Jo!! ;)

post--1346190200377_thumb.jpg

I think I'll invite those who have "experience" in doing DWR to visit for a while. So far, I've embroidered all the state names, AND am nearly done piecing. Got bored and put it up for a couple years, as I'm doing 7 at once.

the quilt I just gave up on, it makes me sick, to give up, as it really had some pretty feathers on it, for me. I can just hear all those threads ripping.

Oh well, it won't be finished by tomorrow night. ;o)

RitaR

• 5 months later...

Archived