Polyester in quilts for newborns

I read this somewhere and I can't vouch for its accuracy - only presenting it here as a thought provoker . .

Because polyester does not "breathe," polyester batting should never be used for quilts for newborns because a newborn's ability to regulate its body temperature is not yet developed--and I don't know when that ability develops--and the baby can overheat.

Any pediatricians out there?

I\'m no pediatrician, but I vote a big NO for poly anything for kiddos. Poly is going to burn and melt onto skin and make for a horrible scar, skin grafting, God forbid anything should catch on fire. Yes, cotton burns too, but it doesn\'t melt, and won\'t have to be scraped off. Burn treatment is reportedly one of the most painful procedures there is.

I heard from the rep. for the company that Warm and Safe is a new batt that\'s out that does not put off fumes when it burns. They say that the fumes are what kills people, not the burn injuries.

Boy howdy, that\'s some icky reading, how about something happy now?

Beth

I\'m no expert but I used poly in my kids quilts and they were perfectly fine. I\'ve never heard about them not being able to regulate like that. Besides that most of the stuff you buy in the store is poly something. Quilters Dream has a Angel Poly that is fire retardant and it quilts up beautifully. I personally don\'t most of the cotton because it is so dense and isn\'t snuggable...lol I\'m sure there will be lots that disagree and that is ok. I hate the feel of the quilts that I make with cotton because the are either too thin or they stand out like a board instead of snuggling in and they are heavy. Of course I could wash them all at least 10 times to get them snuggable. I usually quilt a lot and that makes them even more dense. Just my personal preference, no offense intended!

Heidi

I have been making more baby quilts out of flannel, at my daughter\'s request. She has a 16 month old and is due Jan. 26th. She washes the "heck" out of them and they seem to hold up great (using quilt shop quality flannel). I have been using a thin cotton batting in them, or sometimes just another layer of flannel in the middle. Her favorite is no batting! She likes flannel top and Minkee on the back and no batting the best. These recomendations are for quilts that she uses everyday-utility quilts, not heirloom quality.

There are so many options to consider.

I dislike poly for one reason, it is eventually going to wind up in a landfill where it will be there almost forever because it doesn\'t breakdown. That said, I will confess that I use it in my Community Service quilts because the kids and the elders all want the cuddley feel of it vs the flat feel of cotton. I usually use 4oz but am using a lot of the 6oz lately for the puffy look they love. I have been buying way more flannel for the backing also.

BTW, have any of you paid attention to the printing on the selvedge of a lot of the cottons you buy for piecing? It says "not recommended for use in childrens sleepwear". Wonder why?

Hi Jeanette,

That caution about children\'s sleepwear on the selvedge is because of fire-retardant issues. Most commercially produced kid\'s sleepwear is treated with chemicals so the fabric will not ignite when touched with a flame. I believe the warning is about liability issues concerning the manufacturers. And you wouldn\'t want to make a dear grandbaby jammies that aren\'t flame-retardant so most flannels will have this warning.

Our guild makes quilts for the neo-natal unit of our local hospital. They cannot use any polyester in fabic or batting because it can cause a buildup of static electricity--they cannot have that with all their equipment. Personally I prefer the cotton and not polyester for many of the previously listed reasons. Merry Christmas to all, Jo-Ellen

Archived