Buying a Used Mille; Need Help w/Transaction

Hi to everyone!

For more than a year I've been looking for a used Mille. Finally located one & the local tech has checked it out to be sure that everything is working properly. The seller & I have agreed upon a price & I've sent her 20% deposit to hold the machine for me. Now that we've moved, I'm ready to take possession. However, I'm concerned about sending the balance due, which is a large chunk of money, without some kind of security. And I'm sure the seller wouldn't want to let go of her machine without the $$ in hand. Does anyone know how we can complete this transaction without either of us taking undue risks & both of us being assured that we're getting what the we've have discussed? If I drive to pick up the machine, it's a 1,500 mile trip, one way! The machine is in Des Moines & I'm in AZ. I'd prefer to just have the machine crated & shipped, if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for our completing this transaction (without my traveling 3,000, round trip) or know of a means that others may have used to do something similar? Thanks for your help.

Pat

AZ :cool: (Yes, it's another hot day in AZ!)

Guest Linda S

Pat - I don't have any innovative suggestions for you, but just wanted to say how happy I am for you that you've found a machine at last. Best wishes to you!

Linda

Originally posted by pfrost

Hi to everyone!

For more than a year I've been looking for a used Mille. Finally located one & the local tech has checked it out to be sure that everything is working properly. The seller & I have agreed upon a price & I've sent her 20% deposit to hold the machine for me. Now that we've moved, I'm ready to take possession. However, I'm concerned about sending the balance due, which is a large chunk of money, without some kind of security. And I'm sure the seller wouldn't want to let go of her machine without the $$ in hand. Does anyone know how we can complete this transaction without either of us taking undue risks & both of us being assured that we're getting what the we've have discussed? If I drive to pick up the machine, it's a 1,500 mile trip, one way! The machine is in Des Moines & I'm in AZ. I'd prefer to just have the machine crated & shipped, if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for our completing this transaction (without my traveling 3,000, round trip) or know of a means that others may have used to do something similar? Thanks for your help.

Pat

AZ :cool: (Yes, it's another hot day in AZ!)

Pat -- well I screwed that post up. What I meant to say was that you could try using an online escrow company to deposit the funds. They act as a go-between the buyer and seller and for a relatively small fee, they will hold the money until the buyer releases it after receiving the item. The seller is protected as well, knowing that the funds are in a safe place. I ended up not going that route, though, as the sellers brought the machine to me. Maybe you could work something out like that where they meet you half way? Just be careful when shipping as the wheels and carriage can be damaged even though you do everything possible to bolt everything down. After all is done, you will love your new machine.

Let us know how it goes.

Sally

I just bought a used Ultimate II machine. We sent a certified check which the seller's bank placed a ten day hold on. Something that my husband had our bank encode into the check. Anyway, once the lady had her money she contacted the shipping company. She gave us a tracking number and shipping info as the check cleared. Because it was a cashier's check she knew it was good for the $$. It worked out great.

Now>>> A warning about shipping. My machine head got here in good condition (although I think the timing is off or something), but my table (12 foot wooden) got totally destroyed in shipping. We are waiting for the shipping company to settle up. In the meantime we got a new table and the machine is up and running.

Good luck with your transaction.

• 3 years later...

Greetings from the cold north, Canada. I am looking for the best and cheapest way to become a long arm quilter.I want to be able to quilt queen size or a bit bigger. How much floor space is comfortable, renovating basement . looking forward to new friends in quilting ... sew girl jo

Hi Sew girl jo...

Where are you in Canada?

I can't really help you except to say the following....when I got my machine a couple of years ago, the Cdn $ was worth approx the same as it is today. So my Liberty ended up costing quite a bit more than it would have at another time. I'm not sorry I got it when I did but, boy, what a difference if I had bought it last summer at par!!! I don't mean to put you off, you should go for it.....because you never know when the $ will be better or if it may go possibly worse!

I would say to get in touch with one of the Cdn reps to get some good info on machines and find out what is best for you!

If you are worried about damage during transit from the shipping company...you should pay for the shipping yourself either by using an account or credit card so that you are listed as the shipper. This protects you if damage occurs. UPS reimburses the shipper for the value of insurance...regardless of who pays the shipping. This can be bad if the machine is already damaged, then the company ships to you, they have your money plus the money again from the shipping company.

FedEx ground reimburses the shippee (you) in the case if it is damaged. You can file for damage. This is probably the best route to take...or find a truck line shipper like Yellow Freight or something like that.

Just a note on Certified Cashiers Checks...a hold or stop payment can still be placed on them. They are not guaranteed.

Pat...is this a business who is selling this machine? If so, contact the local Better Business Bureau and see if there have been any problems filed against the business. Might put you at ease.

Archived