Is there a video showing how to find burrs?

AHuffman

I am having some rampant thread breakage and I've been reading in the boards that I may have a burr on my Millie somewhere. Is there a video somewhere (YouTube?) that shows how to find and deal with burrs?

If the APQS gods are listening- short videos on your site covering how to diagnose and deal with common machine issues would be a real blessing!

I've tried the panty hose thing and I'm just not finding the burr. Do you know where I could find a video on dealing with thread breakage/burrs?

If you are breaking thread, try loosening your rollers. You may have the quilt wound too tight on the roller. That is an easy fix so try it first. You should be able to see the machine moving around under your quilt like a mole underground. If you cannot see it, then your quilt is probably too tight.

Oh and welcome to the forum. Most right-coasters are already in bed. Us left coasters are still up. Let us know how you do.

Here are the usual suspects for burr locations.....

pigtails--they get grooved from using monofilament thread.

needle eye--easily fixed with a new needle.

needle plate--use the pantyhose trick to find these.

the hook--you will need excellent magnification for this inspection as well as good light and maybe something low to sit on. The manual will show exactly where to look for burrs and especially where NOT to touch when you are smoothing things down.

Good luck finding the problem. If you haven\'t jammed or broken a needle the thread breakage is probably from old or bad thread or a bad needle. Hope you are back up to speed soon!

Kytriplets

Grasp the thread above and below the pigtails hold it taught and move it in a circular motion around the inside of the pigtail. If there is a rough spot or a grove you will find it. The technique work for the needle plate. I don\'t remember where I saw this, maybe the APQS maintenace video.

Nigel

Archived