Stitch reg is killing me!

Connie,

I've changed the needle, checked the shuttle, swapped the bobbin, confirmed the table is level, checked all of the encoders, checked the tension, waxed the rails, cleaned the wheels and urgg the stitches are forever long (1/8" to 1/4") KILLING me! Oh and they are only on the vertical when I approach the front of the machine and no the carriage is not nicked, chipped or yukky. Let's see did I miss anything? OH the timing looks good on all other stitches... I even broke out the manual and the video, now that is desperate! Upside is my husband offered me new wheels if I would stop fussing and send this email :D hehehe (score)

:mad: I have been fussing with it for two weeks the quilt is starting to cure like a fine wine... Thank goodness it is moms and she is very patient (and free LOL)!

Can you help me? With the machine, I want to sew!! Email is best I still have that day job thing...

Thanks so much!

Teresa

I am not Connie but I would like to help if I can. I need to ask you if you set the stitch lenght when you start to sew. I know that if I forget to do that after I turn the machine on, I too get long stitches but that is only because that is the default setting for the SR. If you are setting the stitch lenght and it is still acting like this, I bet something is wrong with the meter that reads the settings. Connie will clear this up when she returns to work in the morning and reads this. Hang in there...we will perservere!

One thing I would watch Teresa is when you pull the machine towards you don't push down on the front handles. This will cause you to pop a wheelie (sp) with the back wheels on the head. That is where the encoder is. If the back wheels slip any and don't drive the encoder wheel, you will get long or like skipped stitches. Just a thought...if that is not it, please contact us and we will get to the bottom of it. :)

Mark APQS

Sherry, thanks, I was thinking about the stitch length (after the 2nd glass of wine) and it was set at 11 so all should have been good.

I tried fussing with the wheels and one was so tight it wasn't even moving, got it to go and made sure there was no thread hung up anywhere, that actually helped, a little. That's when the cleaning process kicked in, :o

Mark, funny thing the stitch length messes up in the same place across the whole width of the quilt, I would think wheelies would happen on the back side of the quilt not ( I am short) closer to me I could be wrong though, I know I should have stayed home today to check it out! I may have to go home sick :P it's driving me nuts. I have not had any problems, outside of tension, which I think I have down to a science (and thread types).

Thanks everyone!

I will ditto Mark on this one. I have seen this happen many times. Some times you get tired and lean down on the handle. I'll bet this does not happen if you use the machine from the back. If you have the softmount upgrade done you may be able to get the front axle moved forward to the position that is used on current production. I have relocated the axle and installed soft mounts on several machines with very good success and reports from the quilters.

Teresa:

This is the mounting system used on current production. It consists of shock absorbing mounts and the front axle is moved forward about 5 inches. I think APQS is now shipping the new soft mount system with the new wheels. The only thing that would need to be done is moving the front axle forward and adding a bar for the Hartly Fence (it is located where the front axle was located. I have installed several soft mounts systems without the new wheels and relocated the front axle. It gives the machine better balance and seems to really make loops etc. easier to make. You could contact your local dealer and see if they are making this modification. You are welcome to call me here at Country Lane 816-350-2002 if you have any more questions.

John,

I have a question regarding this bar you mention for the Hartley fence. I just got my machine (new with the new wheels) 4 weeks ago and originally mounted the front axle with softmounts on the forward spot. Since then, I have gotten the stylus and Ka-ching templates for the circle lord and needed to move the axle back to the center holes to attach the stylus. Maybe I didn't install this properly, I don't know. What is this bar and will it work with the Circle lord stylus?

I did not experience the machine much before making this change to the axle position, does it really improve the movement? If I move my axle back to the front position, I am not sure how I would attach my stylus for the cirlcle lord. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Patty:

I have had some bars made to replace the old connections for the Hartley Fence and Circle Lord (ie front axle). It has attachments on both sides of the machine. (We also have a Hartley Fence and Circle Lord.) If you only have the Hartley Fence contact Linda at APQS and she can help you.

If you need the bar on both sides (Hartley Fence and Circle Lord) contact me for pricing and shipping information. 816-350-2002 or countrylanequilting@mail.com or www.countrylanequilting.com

John

Archived