My First "Odd" Quilting Request

gable428

Just my two cents for what they are worth... I would baiste the borders, by that I mean stitch in the ditch on the inside where the border meets the blocks and stitch in the binding ditch around the entire quilt. This will hold those borders flat and prevent the edge to edge quilting from pulling in and waving those outer borders. Good luck let us know how it turns out:cool:

I agree with Sue, SID that border in. Then I think that I would ask her what type of design she is going to use on her hand-quilted border. Maybe you can find a coordinating motif or pattern. I think that I would also try to figure out the density that her hand-quilting will be so you can try to mimic that in your panto choice.

I have customers that like to do the borders, too, but on their DSM. They can manage the borders easily and feel like they have done some of their own quliting. They do not, however, want to try to shove the bulk of their quilt thru their DSM throat. Some use stencils and some use those paper adhesive patterns. I just match up their border choice with a similar panto.

I have recently done 3 or 4 using Meredith England\'s Featheration. It is a big pattern. Not just the 13.75" but the big feathers and swooping lines. It quilts up fast and gives wonderful texture.

Archived