Questions

JenMcManus

The details: Partial float, pantograph, I'm near the end of the quilt and have removed quilt top bottom from the leader. I stitch across the bottom with my channel lock on. Well, though my line is straight, there isn't an even amount of fabric past my stitching line.

What happens when the binding is put on? Should everything be cut away 1/4 inch from my stitching line? Should I have pinned the top down straight (when I got to the bottom) and worked in the fullness? But then what if the top isn't perfectly straight? Do you square a top before loading? Are these the dogears you all are talking about? :)

Thanks,

Jen

Jen,

It sounds to me like the top was off a bit. Very seldom do I get a quilt top to come out absolutely perfectly. What I would do is just do the pantograph and get it done. When you have it off the frame mark all the way around the quilt the square line (hope that makes sense), then I stitch the binding on to that line. Once the binding is on then I trim any excess beyond the square line. That way I don\'t have to worry about threads unraveling before the binding is on.

Normally what I\'ll do if this happens is try to get the bottom square by pinning and working it in before I baste it down. If it isn\'t more than a few inches of puff then I can use the steam trick and get it to work in. Dogears are when the corners of the botton of the quilt extend out...I think of them more of devilhorns!

Heidi

Jen... Yes I would have pinned down the sides and bottom but not actually sewn the bottom down. I may have sewn down the left side and quilted across and then sewn down the other side leaving the bottom open if I was just doing a custom job, but where you are using a panto, I would have used basting spray. By sewing down the bottom any fullness you may have had really had no place to go....and would cause a bunching.

In a situation like this I would have used some basting spray to hold everything down solid while I did the last row or maybe row and a half....By ironing down the quilt and making sure you had it where you wanted it and all the fullness worked out you then use the spray basting to insure it not to move. Then you don\'t have had to worry about hitting a pin.

Archived