Round robin white elephant swap

I am really excited about this, I owned a quilt store for a long time and have some things that are great that I just have not found the right market for. I would much rather GIVE them to the group than sell them for pennies on the dollar. So, this will be fun!

Norece and Theresa: I like the idea of the journal, and perhaps you can put the list of addresses for where it should go next... OR, what if you put everyones name and address in the Journal and when they are ready to send off the box, THEY decide who to send it to next. You cross off all the names of those who have already received it (including yourself as you prepare to send it) so the next person can choose from those who haven\'t recieved it yet. It adds an element of SURPRISE! Just a thought. They can post that the box went out, but NOT to whom!

this is kinda like Geo-Cache-ing... a very kool thing that families across the country are doing.

Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas!

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine the box won\'t need to hold up through the whole exchange. If it gets to you and is too ratty, just transfer the items to a new one. And maybe once all the names are compiled we can figure out a way that we\'d each only need to mail a few states away, not from coast to coast. Although, I don\'t mind mailing far away (I know there are some far out folks on our list, . . . . and people who live far away too, LOL)

I don\'t care where I\'m mailing something to but I\'m pretty sure that there is a postal box that mails for around $8.15 regardless of whats in it or where it\'s going. I live in Mass. and I don\'t mind getting this going by sending it to the west coast or Alaska (Shana are you playing?) and then it can slowly work it\'s way back east. Personally, I kind of liked the random idea of it would go in the way we signed up, it would be zig zagging it\'s way across North America. Keep in mind, each person is only mailing it once. DB

Sounds like such fun - count me in! And there are indeed "flat rate" priority mail boxes available free from the PO - small one is just under $5, the larger one is just under $9. Like was said earlier, each quilter only has to ship it once, and pretty much any price is worth the thought of the fun we\'re sending on to the next quilter!

P.S. Shana, it took me a minute to figure out what ROFLMAO stood for - now I\'m ROFLMAO!!:P:P:P

I don\'t know about anyone else, but I have boxes around the house from gifts, etc. I wouldn\'t think we\'d have to buy a box for this, just save some from Christmas presents. We usually try to keep a few good boxes around for things that come up (like this).

I think it\'s good to keep in mind that this is just for fun. Someone might receive the box and there\'s nothing in it that they would really like. I\'d say still take a few out, put a few in, and just remember that it\'s the spirit of fun and fellowship that\'s driving this. Keep the stuff you take out and save it for the next time we do this, or for the next Secret Santa exchange.:D I can\'t imagine getting anything related to quilting and not loving it, but maybe I\'d already have the things that are in there and don\'t have a use for them. It\'s fun anyway!!

Oh my goodness. The response to this is great. I\'m going to start compiling the list of names. I think random, in the order signed up, is better than planning for it to travel circularly across the world. A few people asked to not ship overseas, so I\'ll make sure they don\'t have to.

I agree with Norece that this should not be something you went out and bought, but things you don\'t use anymore, or never did (in my case).

I got the cutest journal yesterday and we can each just write a page when we have the box.

This is going to be so cool.

I\'m still giving people a couple weeks to sign up, but I\'m working on the list of names.

Sparkle:

If we don\'t bring up ideas and think about issues that are involved, then something might arrise later and mess things up. I think you have a point that is valid and we needed to think of solutions. You didn\'t do anything wrong. Don\'t beat yourself up. You helped us think on that part of it.

Originally posted by chickenscratch

this should not be something you went out and bought, but things you don\'t use anymore, or never did (in my case).

I think I can play with this....I have a whole basement of things I don\'t use anymore....which box do you want me to put it in.:)

Here is who is I have so far. If you have an asterisk I have your address. If not, I need it.

Carol Currier**

Renae Gamel**

Debbie Treusch**

Ruthie Wasmuth**

Julie McClannan**

Sandra Darlington**

Janette Woodall**

Linda Rech

Bobbi Brady**

Minnie06???

Norece Embody

Melora Neminski**

Jeanne Rumans**

Victoria

Barbara

Norma Northcutt**

Connie Weischler**

Jen McMAnus**

Wilma Depriest**

Shana**

Kat Wipker**

Janet ARmstrong**

DB??

Bonnie

Dawn

Heidi Merrill

Nancy Jo Smith**

Beth Durand**

Patty

Ann Henry

Sheri Butler

Darlene

Barb Mayfield**

Norece, you probably have some of these addresses, so could you email me your list from Secret Santa.

I also think we need to set a time limit on how long you get to keep the box once it arrives. Maybe, back out in the mail system within 2 days. That will keep it moving.

Archived