Spots on 40 yr. old muslin top

I need some advice. I have a quilt that uses 40 yr old (or older) muslin for the background. The muslin has yellowed slightly and has some spotting. There is hand applique also.

This was made by my husbands grandmother who is now 103.

Should I wash the top and try to get the spots out before I quilt? Or should I quilt then wash or just leave it alone. It has a musty oder from being stored in an old chest.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Sonja,

Most appraiser/experts I have talked to say not to wash a stained or yellowed top or quilt. There is too much that can happen--bleeding, damage at weak spots, or seams opening. I had a GFG from the 40s that quilted beautifully but it was recommended not to wash either before or after quilting. It had some yellowing and little clusters of brownish spots. It is an impressive quilt--very large--and now used for display only. Good luck with your treasure and let us know how it comes out.

I\'ve done 6-7 antique tops this past year and have washed them all (they smelled really musty) but only after they\'d been quilted and bound. Some were hand pieced w/very few stitches per inch and I wanted them to have all the support they could before being washed.

I\'ve not had a lot of luck w/the yellowing coming out, but that really is part of their charm. As long as they don\'t smell that kind of "charming".:D

I have pictures of them in my webshots. Some were blocks I put together into quilts, and others the whole top was complete and I just finished it from there.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/557862361HYKxaj

One, a Spiderweb, I spit into 2 (it was king sized and REALLY scrappy) added red borders to tie it together and made 2 twins. I can see why the original piecer didn\'t finish it, it was hand pieced and had DD cups of fullness in the blocks. The customer loved them when they were done though and has them on display when you walk in the door.

I use Woolite and Synthropol (sp?) when I wash them and I DO NOT dry them. Just use the gently cycle, spin them twice and then lay them over chairs to dry.

don\'t wash before you quilt it, it will ravel and fray badly no matter how careful you are. I just finished a blue and white quilt that had storage stains(bad). After it was all done I soaked it in oxyclean for a few days and it is just beautiful. NO stains what so ever.

Sincerely,

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

I wouldn\'t wash it before it was quilted for sure. If you do wash it afterwards, don\'t put it in a wringer washer. Just soak it somewhere.

A curator at the AQS museum in Paducah mentioned to me once about soaking in buttermilk to remove yellowing and spots, but I don\' t know if that was straight buttermilk, or mixed with water or what. You might try calling them to see what they recommend.

http://www.quiltmuseum.org/

Originally posted by JoAnnHoffman

If it has a smell hang it out in the freezing air for a while, it works wonders.

DUH......man its amazing what we forget as we grow up. I knew this, but forgot. Mom wouldn\'t freshen up the quilts until we had a good hard frost/freeze on the ranch. They always got washed in the spring, but freshened several times during the winter months.;)

Archived