Milli is sluggish

nannyt

My Milli is getting more and more difficult to navigate. I have to use both hands and quite a bit of muscle to go across the quilt. It will not move down the table if I give it a little shove and it almost feels as though it is catching on the power cord occasionally -- but it is not.

I've checked for thread around table wheels and in the machine wheel. It will go a little easier after I've cleaned the table wheels but only for a few passes. I've measured the width of the table and it seems to be the same all the way across. I've tried a leveller across the table and can't find anything out of whack.

I would really like to do some block patterns with my laser light but have tried practicing and can't get enough ease of control to make the lines smooth.

I put the "new" edgerider wheels on a couple of years ago. Could they be bad already?

Is the tech support questions #10 where I need to start troubleshooting?

Thanks for any help. I've got a customer quilt waiting that I would really like to finish but can't do what she wants until I get this fixed.

Hi ccmom,

Do you live anywhere near your Dealer? It\'s pretty hard to diagnose what the problem is without seeing the machine.

One thought is to tighten up all the bolts on the table rails. You may have measured and they all LOOK the same, but sometimes it\'s so little that you can\'t tell on a measuring tape. That\'s the first place I\'d start.

As for the Edgerider wheels, I\'m afraid I can\'t help you there. If they have bearings in them, it may be that one or more of them are bad. Do you have the original wheels for your machine? Try putting them back on and see if you notice any difference.

You might also get out a magnifying glass and look for thread trapped around the wheels somewhere. It sure sounds like something is bound up. Your machine should glide like a hot knife through butter!

Thanks, Darlene. I\'ve looked with a magnifying glass at the wheels to see if they set right on the rails and to look for thread. I will try the bolts and see what happens. I think I still have my original wheels. I had sent some stuff back to trade but I don\'t think it was the wheels.

The nearest dealer is in the DFW area (350+ miles) so I need to do eveything I can here.

Hi,

Is your Milli on a rug? If so, you may be having problems with the rug settling and causing your table to \'go out of level." This happened to me---and I did get help on this site. Get out your level and start taking a look. When it happened to me I went from easy moving to having to muscle---on the exact same quilt sandwich--in the same spot on the rails. A little messing around with the level and adjusting the legs ever so slightly changed the entire picture.

Good luck!

Jill Kerekes

• 2 weeks later...

I\'m back with more questions.

I adjusted the carriage wheels per Dawn C\'s post. They were okay for the most part. I\'ve measured the table width and it is the same all the way across.

I\'ve used a level and the little bubble is in the middle -- though it does move a little from one side of the middle to the other. I have the pneumatic lift but the level seemed just a good with the machine raised to working height.

The only thing I\'ve found that made a significant difference is when I cleaned the wheels while I was doing a quilt to see if that made a difference. It did! The machine is still not as smooth as I feel it should be and jerks some but was much better.

Why does the black gook build up so quickly? My "new" wheels are black that I got from APQS (Darlene -- I did send my old ones back to trade so can\'t try them). Do I need to get the white ones from the other source that are mentioned other places on this site?

I don\'t consider myself the "best" as far as a quilter but my work is not near as good as it could be if my machine were smoother. I"m really frustrated!!!

Archived