Friendship Blocks 2008- LAST CALL

chickenscratch

If enough people want to try again, I\'ve come up with a plan. You wouldn\'t have to make a block for everybody on the list (unless you just wanted to) and you\'d be guaranteed to get a set number of blocks back (depends how many want to play). I had the idea, but wasn\'t sure if it would work, so I put it in an excel spreadsheet to check it and it does. The way I have it set up right now if 25 people play, each one makes 10 blocks and gets 10 blocks back. We could change that up to 12 or 15 or even 20 blocks, but the point is you would get back as many as you made.

If you want to play, you have to commit to making the set number of blocks. Too many people put a lot of time and effort into the 2007 birthday exchange and didn\'t get very many blocks back at all. Norece is one that comes to mind. She made dozens and didn\'t get many. I made about 50 and have 19.

So, who wants to commit, and really do this for 2008? I\'m more than willing to organize it and play, but we need serious players.

I\'ll get started on it as soon as I finish the last 4 2007 birthday blocks. :cool:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Susanne,

YOu are definitely invited to participate. I hope all our Deutschland and Australian friends will play this time.

Heidi,

Basically, each person determines what size and colors they want; OR what block pattern and size they want (for a scrappy quilt). Then you make a block for that person and mail it off to them.

The way I have it figured out everybody would make 10 -15 and get the exact same number back-IF EVERYBODY FOLLOWS THROUGH AND MAKES THE BLOCKS AND SENDS THEM!!!!!

The problem last year is that some of us jumped in and made for almost everybody on the list and sent them out; then people started dropping off the list for various reasons (valid reasons,yes). So most didn\'t get back the 50-60 that they made and sent. That has created a lot of tension and hard feelings within the group. So everybody needs to stay committed this time around.

Here is the scenario:

Person A makes for people B-K. Person B makes for people C-L, so on and so on, until we get to halfway or so (Let\'s say it\'s person K). That person would make for L-D, and the next person would make for M-E, etc. Everybody would have the same number of blocks, not a huge amount, but a guaranteed amount.

Since there will probably only be 10-15 blocks received I think I\'m going to do one of two things: ask for more that can be added to last year\'s small amount, OR ask for 12 or 16" blocks that will actually be enough to create something.

Hope this helps. Sorry to be long winded. I just would really like to see this work. I know other groups do block swaps regularly (some once a month) and they work out great.

No that wasn\'t long winded...it needed to be explained. I really like the scrappy look. Would this mean that I could make my 10-15 blocks all the same and send them out and it would be my choice of colors and pattern. I think you explained it, but just want to make sure my old mind is on the same page as everyone elses.:)

Off to the basement to finish the 12 that I need to for 2007 and then I too have returned to all that have sent to me. YEAH.

Michelle, make sure I have your address.

I think we should make it a choice:

A) You can scrappy blocks in one certain pattern-you set the size. The block maker chooses fabrics and colors.

B) You want a certain color and size, but the block maker picks that pattern.

I think you need to indicate what choice you want. OR WE CAN ALL AGREE TO HAVE 12" SCRAPPY BLOCKS. OR all agree to choice B.

I\'m leaving that up to you folks. I\'ll just do the organizing.

Man, if only I could get my sewing room, house, and finances this organized.

Oh, and don\'t forget to make one for yourself while you\'re making. : )

Personnally I will do whatever the majority votes on, but with that said it would be easier for me if I had the flexability to make ALL the blocks the same with whatever fabrics that I happened to have on hand and not to make each block to someones color scheme....this way I could assembly cut and sew and be done faster and not have to do each individual block. Just my 2Cents worth....and will sit back now and wait be to told which it will be.

Teresa,

I don\'t think that was long winded at all...I just wanted to be sure I understood. Here is my 2 cents worth. I think we should have a set size and background color or perhaps 2 background colors. The receiver can specify a specific pattern for the block or leave it up to the maker. This way the maker can have the background fabric ready and just have to find the perfect fabric for the receiver. Do we limit it to piecing only and no applique or doesn\'t it matter...I love applique but I know there are others who don\'t!

Of course I\'m sure others will have other opinions so I just throw it out there. I\'d love to be involved as long as I don\'t have to make more than 16 blocks...I just don\'t think I\'d have time for more than that.

Heidi

If we get 25 people I have it set up in the spread sheet right now for each of us to make 15 blocks. If we get fewer than 25 we\'ll just make fewer. If we get more than 25 we can still make 15 each, they\'ll just be more spread out.

I also think it would be neat if everybody got the same block from their giver and we all compared quilts at the end . Each one would have at least 2 blocks different from the other quilts, and everybody would probably set them differently.

Why don\'t we make it an easy pattern like Friendship star, Churn Dash, Pinwheels, or something like that, so even beginners will feel comfortable participating.

OH< DON"T FORGET*** These blocks have to be 12 1/2 " unfinished. Some of the last ones I got were different sizes.

Okay, I think I want 12 1/2" pinwheels with white background and any color pinwheels. How\'s that sound?

I like the scrappy look too, it would be fun to just choose 3-4 easy blocks, I also like ohio star...(wonder why) then when they are all finished we can post photos to see how they came out!

(Theresa, are you on drugs? you are wonderful to do all this! where are you getting all this energy? I need some!)

By the way, are we sending these during our birthday months? AND I\'m committed, (or at least I should be...lol)

...Teresa!

Do you really think, that we european and australian should join the Birthday Block Exchange????

I hope all our Deutschland and Australian friends will play this time.

I would looooove to join but I´m not sure to find the time to sew the blocks ( I have to evacuate my family*lol* and close my shop the weekend;););)) ....but......to join the sewing birthday family I would do!!!:D

And don´t forget....the freight costs for the mailing...just my 2 cents!

Is still anyone interested to get the "european aliens" ;):cool:involved???

Have a great weekend...and a happy NEW Year! and *PROST* ( we are saying while hitting the glasses of champagne together);):D:cool:

Claudia

Claudia, YES!!! Please do join. I will send to you and I\'\'m sure some of the others would too.

Bobbi,

I\'m not on drugs, but I\'ll probably need them Wednesday when I go back to work. When I am not gone from home for 10 1/2 hours a day I actually have time to think, plan, quilt, and clean house. HOw I wish I could quit my job. I think I need 4 or 5 more regular quilt customers first.

Archived