Friendship Blocks 2008- LAST CALL

chickenscratch

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Evening Ladies,

Thank you for the support. I am happy to play in any size, shape, pattern and colours. Like Bonnie, I have so many fabrics washed and "stashed". It would be lovely to see some of them do some travel.

When we were posted to the States, the local post office was always intrigued when I send Christmas mail, as it went all over the world. If everyone is serious about making their blocks, it will be exciting to receive them, but also see what others will do with your own work. I agree, postage should not be that much for a block at a time.

Looking forward to this adventure in 2008!!

Susanne

I think it will be wonderful to recieve blocks from all over the world and the USA. what an interesting quilt that will make...

I also agree there should be a base color for the blocks, like cream-there\'s one at the local quilt store I think it\'s called "Quilters\' Dream". It would really make each block stand out. I also agree with the 12.5" for the size - how does that come out in centimeters for our international friends?

Theresa, I hope you know I am just kiddin\' ya. You are one busy woman! thanks again for alll you dooooo!

I\'m working on the list. Let\'s give it another couple weeks to see who we get.

Do we want to mail in birthday months, or just mail them as we get them finished. Maybe we should call this a Friendship swap rather than a birthday swap.

Is everybody is agreement about making 12 1/2 " blocks with white or cream backgrounds with scrappy colored piecing? It does seem easiest.

Friendship quilt I like that better....and if some work faster than others the pressure won\'t be as bad...but maybe since we are only making 12-15 blocks make the block part say mid year and the finished quilt by year end...

Are we all making the same pattern (to be decided) with an agreed background color?

Or a whatever scrappy pattern with the back grounds an agreed color?

Okay, let me see if I understand this...

If I join I will make 12-15 blocks for one person? Or are they to be sent to 12-15 different people? Will they all be the same blocks (same pattern, same background)?

I\'m sorry to be dense. I\'ve never participated in anything like this, and I didn\'t follow the Birthday Block exchange from last year, so I don\'t have that as a reference.

Thanks!

Cathy

I like the friendship blocks idea. It takes away a bit of the stress of getting them done in a certain birthday month. If we say blocks done and sent by say, May, then we all have a few months to get the finished quilt done before the holiday rush.

White background sounds great, with scrappy blocks of our choice.

Jen

:)

I like the "Friendship" block idea, the light beige background, and a total of no more than about 12 blocks (or 15). 12 1/2 inch blocks are a good size and I think any block design would be interesting as they are all assembled into a quilt.

I am rather flexable, so I will be happy to go with the majority.

Okay, let\'s set some rules then.

You will send to 15 different people. I will email each person an individual list.

Everybody will make 15 blocks, using white or light beige as the background.

Blocks will be 12 1/2" unfinished. Fabric should be 100% cotton.

Reds and purples should be prewashed. (And anything else that might run.)

The choice of what block design you make and what colors you use will be up to you.

Try to have all of your blocks finished and mailed to all your people by May 31st.

Try to have your quilt finished by December.

Does that sound fairly simple. I know too many rules just complicate things. (Sorry, that\'s the teacher in me)

Here is who is signed up so far. If there is an *** next to your name, I need your address, please.

Me

Beth Durand

Sandra Darlington

Barb Goodson

Heidi Merrill

Bonnie Botts

Rita Kilpatrick

Pam Nagle

Michelle Strickland

Susanne Hughes****

Jen McManus

Coleen O\'Kane

Roxie*****

Nancy Propheter****

Bobbi Brady

Cathy****

Claudia****

Melora Neminski

Donna Smith****

Merry JO Rembold

I U2\'d ya Theresa!

As far as the colors go, once we get the groups finalized, could we do some sort of a "wish" list? I know we all have lots of fabric stashes, therefore, you may be able to use colors you have specifically for someone\'s "wish" list. Just a thought. I participated in one a couple years ago and we did a patriotic theme, everyone had to do red, white & blue (anything of your choice for pattern and colors) and we also used the cream/white background. It was fun to get the many different squares and see the different personalities in patterns,etc. It\'s now a treasured quilt in our house!

This will be fun and I look forward to beginning this in 2008!

Nancy....that is what we did last year, and personally it just didn\'t work well for me (but this is ME; not talking for others)....I found I wasn\'t taking from my stash, but going out to buy material for just that person. Because I didn\'t have just the color that they were requiring. Besides I don\'t wash my fabrics when I buy for my personal use so the new fabrics were washed, pressed, and now just sitting there....it would be better for me to just use what I have in the stash instead of expecting to have to go once again to get new or a certain color that isn\'t there. Less stress for me...

It became a more costly thing for me also with the extra trips to town. Unfortunately I don\'t have a fabric store close to me....45-60 miles away for good quality material, and with the cost of gas I\'m loosing in the fun aspects of this project. And some of the 2007 blocks are still not done because of that problem....I just don\'t have the colors in my stash that were required.

Not all reds are equal....I asked for reds and purples, and have received colors ranging from dark pinks, purpley blues, lavenders, and even blacks and greens

The quilt is going to be very pretty when its done, but its sure isn\'t what I thought it was going to be. This quilt will not be set in blocks with sashing, but a totally scrappy setting with flying geese and checker board areas....

Bonnie,

Sounds like you need to come a little north! LOL we have some closer shops!

What about if we did just a general color wish list, say like pastels, darks, jewel tones or something like that and not have a specific wish like a theme quilt? Then everybody should be able to find something in their stash that will meet that requirement and not require you to make a special trip. I\'m not a huge scrapy person and prefer to have a more planned appearance but that\'s just me and I\'ll do what ever. On the other hand making 15 blocks all identical and sending them out would be easier!

Archived