HELP - Dry Erase Mark on fabric - NOW WITH PICS

PattyJo

Oh, Patty - that\'s what we all fear when we\'re auditioning patterns. I can\'t help you myself, but you might try calling/emailing the manufacturer of the pens or checking their website. They might have FAQs that cover something like this. Or call your local quilt store?

PattyJo....there was someone who did this same thing about 6 months ago....they finally got it out, but I can\'t remember if it was rubbing alcohol applied several times that got it out of if it was something else. hopefully they will jump back in here and help you....and if I can find it in the archives I will send up a smoke signal as well.

Thank you all for your encouragement and possible solutions. When I posted this my customer was sitting right here and she was amazed at the quick response from you all. She has now gone home and left me with her quilt top. She is the greatest customer that I could have ever hope for. She told me not to worry about getting it out, it is just a thing. But I told her I would continue to try and get it out. So I\'m now trying the hairspray and it is making it lighter but I can still see it. (blue marker on a white on white background - YIKES)! She was so mellow about it all. I did call the LQS and the gal I talked to suggested a "stain stick" about 1 1/2" in diameter (she couldn\'t remember the brand) so if the hairspray doesn\'t get it all, I may go and try that. She also mentioned fels naptha soap, but I didn\'t have good results from that. Anyway, I\'ll try and post some pics when I\'m done with it. It is a lap quilt for her mother and is made out of 30\'s repo in a black eye susan pattern. Very cute. In the mean time, I\'m trying not to kick myself too hard around the block. At least I\'m breathing at a normal pace now. Thanks again.

Oh Pat,

I\'m so sorry for you! Good thing the customer was there, and saw the quick response. I\'m sure that this will simply confirm what she knows about you, and that you are working on this issue for her. There have been TV advertisements for a stain stick from Tide, but I\'ve never tried it. My only suggestion is DO NOT press, or put any heat on that area until after it\'s quilted and washed. I\'d hate to have it all or mostly gone, and then get it set with heat.

Keep us posted.

Beth

Well, I\'ve tried all the suggestions, and as of today, there is still a blue mark that is about 1" long sitting in a patch of white on white fabric. Thank you Sheri for your suggestion, I\'ve sent for the "white wizard" cleaner. I hope that this will take care of the problem. If not, I told my customer that I would give her a good deal. Anyway, I\'ll let you know how it turns out. If this stuff works, this quilter will be very happy!:cool:

Biz

I have a hundred biz stories, it will get anytjing out including blackberrie spots onthe walls from canning..It may take a few rounds. I once washed a new pair of khakis with a green (cheap) shirt . It bleed all over the pants. I soaked in biz, nothing happended, teh next day changed the water a re soaked, nothing, tried one more time nothing. Got frustrated drained the pants and threw them on the basement floor. A week later picked them up and they had no hint of green dye. I would make a paste rub it in to the spot leave till it dries then wet sponge it off. It is color safe, non chlorine bleach. On the spendy side but well worth it.

Hi Patty Jo!

I\'m so sorry to hear that this happened to you. It happened to me once too. Fortunately the customer was an elderly friend of mine and she had a suggestion I never would have thought of. She had a bar of lye soap, and with a lot of hand washing and rinsing of that spot, we go it out.

My other thought is to ask the customer if she has any left over fabric that matches the spot that\'s marked. Take out all of the stitching from that area, replace the fabric and requilt the area. If you\'ve already worked on the spot a lot with a variety of cleaning products, the stain might be set. :-(

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Sue K.

Be careful w/nail polish remover, it ate through my bedspread when I was a kid...

What did the mfr. say? I would be careful trying all the stuff as it can weaken the fabric. Can you replace the fabric? You may have to kind of "applique" it in, but when quilts get restored, that is essentially what happens. So, if its for her mom, 30\'s prints, that might not be the end of the world. At least your customer was nice about it! Those are the ones you want to keep!

Patty, don\'t know if this will help or not, but I used that "sew clean" a citrus remover I got from kmquiltingsupply.com

I guess as a last result, maybe you could see if she has another piece of the white and just replace it.

I know it seems like a lot, but would surely be less stressful.

good luck! we\'re thinking of you!

Patty Jo~

I had the same thing happen to me. I wrote for help back in Feb. Sherry mentioned the same website for me, www.amodexink.com. I haven\'t tried it yet either. I did however use alcohol on a scrap piece and it got really faint. But when I tried it on the actual quilt it still showed. Everyone was very creative with their suggestions of how to cover the ink. I ended up appliqueing a double cloud and no one was ever the wiser.

I hope you can get the ink out. I was lucky because I had an applique quilt.

Good Luck!!

Mary Lou

Wow, what a neat group of people here that are trying to help me out. Thank you all for your suggestions. I\'ve ordered the White Wizard that Sheri suggested and hope that it will be here on Monday so that I can get this quilt on my machine and done. I think I\'ve tried all the other suggestions except for the "sew clean" or the "Amodex" ink remover. My customer said that it has lightened up enough that she doesn\'t think it will show up that much, but I want to get it out if at all possible. She also needs the quilt finished for her mother\'s birthday. Sooooo, if the White Wizard doesn\'t work, I\'m going to go ahead and get it quilted. I\'ll try and do some stitching over that area so that it may not show up as much. Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions. I will let you know how this works and also post a picture. It is a very cute quilt and I know that her mom will love it, even with my boo boo.

Hi Fernview,

Maybe I should go and get my white out and see if that will cover it!!! LOL ;)

Actually, I was coming to give you all an update. I ordered the White Wizard and as of today (1-11-08) still haven\'t received it, so I went online and ordered the "Sew Clean" from Pam Clarke\'s site. I\'m going to be Mrs Clean for sure when this is all done. Maybe I could open up another business called "Cleaning-R-Us".

I\'m going to be dropping an e-mail to my customer and letting her know all of this, but wanted to let my peps here at APQS know first. Stay tuned for furture updates!!!!

Archived