Stitch in the ditch issues

kathymartinez

I'm hoping to hear how others deal with the issues of stitch in the ditch/custom quilting and time. I love the look of it. When I try to leave it out, I don't feel satisfied and am afraid my customer will feel she didn't get what she wanted.

Many of my customers are on fixed incomes and really aren't in the position to pay .04 or more per inch for custom quilting. In the past I have gone ahead and done the SID anyway. This results in many many more hours of work for the same price. I have resolved for 2008 to stop working for less than minimum wage!

What are your thoughts? I have a CQ, and although I love it, it makes avoiding SID even harder because blocks and sashings are never exact. You can't quilt up to the very edge easily.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

I don\'t have a CQ, so I don\'t know that I can answer your question fairly--- however, I can give you my perspective:

If you undercharge for a service, it will become expected that you will provide that service at that price. If you give them more than they are willing to pay for, they will always expect that level of work for the low price. It\'s probably human nature---but it\'s also how people spend their \'hobby\' money. We teach people how to treat us. (I hate it when people tell me that, but it\'s true.)

Can you raise your lowest rates? Can you set up your pricing system such that the people that are willing to pay less can have less custom work--more overalls/edge to edge work? Can you steer these customers in that direction?

I hate to see samplers or paper pieced quilts with overall designs on them---but if a customer will not pay for more, I will not do more. I try set my minimum prices high enough so that I can do a little SID polishing without lowering my hourly rate below my target.

If you are trying to get mostly higher custom work, you need to charge for it. You are hurting yourself--and any longarmer in your area--if you undercharge for that work. You should be making more money per hour than the guy that cleans toilets at Burger King. If you\'re not, you\'ve got to change something to make your hourly rate higher.

Good luck!

Jill Kerekes

I think that piecers that take the extra time and money to add borders would want those borders quilted separately. I think that SID borders really frames the quilt.

I also know that it takes not only extra time and talent but it takes a good pressing job to make the SID go smoothly on the machine. I set up a pricing for E2E and then another for E2E with border treatment. Quilting borders adds roughly $25 to the cost of the quilting.

And I know that is still underpriced. I do it for my regulars. New customers pay or don\'t get the SID. It\'s my time, I don\'t want to work for free.

Hi again Kathy!

As I read my previous post--I think that it comes across as a little snippy:o--but it is not meant to be. Sorry if it comes across that way.

I think that when I started out, I gave a few people more than they were paying for. I was eager to do the best job that I could and to educate(or so I thought) some folks on just how great their quilts could look with a little extra detail(SID in the sashing, separate border treatments, etc.). The end result was some happy customers---who expected that type of treatment on all of their quilts at my rock bottom charge. I somehow wiggled out of that situation with most people, but I did have a couple of uncomfortable moments with one customer:cool:.

After what feels like a million quilts in almost 3 years, I\'ve learned that you only hurt yourself and your craft if you underprice your skilled labor. It is important to raise your prices every year or so. It is also important to figure out what you like, what you dislike, what you\'re great at, what you need work on, and where you see yourself in five years. As uptight as it sounds, it is helpful to have some vision and to work toward it. If your goal is to keep on keeping on, that\'s fine, but you deserve a raise once in a while, and you also deserve to earn a fair wage for your skills, experience, and that expensive equipment!

God Bless and let us know how it goes!

Jill Kerekes

Hi Kathy--

I offer squiggle-in-the-ditch stuff for my next-step-up from E2E--starting at .02 an inch. It\'s cheaper for them and faster for me. And if the piecing and pressing is good, I can squiggle pretty small and pretty fast!

(We need to schedule a meet-up soon!)

• 4 weeks later...

I offer an incentive to first time customers that includes the SID with their choice of how the body of the quilt is quilted and what is done in the outer sashing. This seems to please them and also shows what my quality of workmanship is. But the SID is only included in the price for the first quilt they bring. After that there is a charge for it.

I think we are all guilty of giving away our labor at one time or another. I just did it this weekend. I knew in my heart that a panto would have ruined the quilt i was given. So, i stitched in the ditch at a panto rate. I guess I should have just turned the quilt down when she balked at the first quote. But, i justified my actions by saying i needed SID practice. Well....I\'m done practicing and my back feels the pain as much as my wallet.

I only have a minute here but would like to add to this. I agree with Jill and I understand your position because that is want the quilt needs to give it that polished look . There are alternatives to SID, or if your customer just can\'t afford it but wants that to finish the quilt suggest that they can do the SID on their domestic. It is much eaiser once the quilt has been quilted. They get what they want and you are not spending the time with getting paid for it.

Jill is a premier LAer in our area and a great human being to boot! (good morning, Jill). She has been an invaluable resource, coach, mentor, etc. as I begin my business.

This is not my first home-based business, so I am aware of some of the issues that are facing new enterpreneurs (sp?). It is fair to expect an appropriate compensation for your work. No, you may not be producing perfect results at the beginning. However, you will provide your customer with an attractive quilt faster than some others in your area (unless you\'re booked before you start!). You also will probably only be offering simpler styles and perhaps a new customer discount. Your prices, however, still need to reflect the going rate in the area.

I don\'t charge what Jill does because I don\'t do what she does and I cannot quilt as well as she does (when I grow up, I want to be like Jill--even though I am probably 15 years older, at least, that she). Jill does custom work and I\'m starting with pantos and simple stuff. Will I still be doing this in 12 months--I don\'t know. We will see where the machine takes me.

You will evolve as a quilter and so will your customers. Some will always want the least expensive style possible while others will advance as you do.

Long story short: SID is custom Period. Doesn\'t matter for whom, on what or by whom. If it\'s that important and they don\'t want to pay, do it on the home machine. I\'m not grumpy, I just won\'t do that without getting paid!

Deborah Jett McVay

Debbie,

I\'m blushing fourteen ways to Sunday. Thanks so much for your praises. I\'d better suck it in or my head won\'t fit through the door!

....and you are not grumpy:)---and neither am I:mad:.

Myrna--that\'s a good idea about suggesting the customer do the SID her/himself. Have you ever had anyone go for that? Most people look at me like I have two heads if I suggest something that would involve quilting on a domestic machine:).

Jill Kerekes

Archived