I had fun quilting this one...

Love the way you quilted the leaves, I've quilted veins in leaves before but I like the curvy way you outlined them!

I live in Canada and this quilt really speaks to the Canadian in me, if that makes any sense. Maybe it's just that I like the colours. Also, the maple leaf is a Canadian symbol, so a lot of my friends like quilts featuring them. I'd love it if this were available in a kit.

Have a good day, Sandra

Thank you everybody for looking at my pics and for your great feedback.

When I handed the quilt over to my customer at the LQS this morning, everybody in the store was ooohing and aaahing over it. I agree, the colors are just fabulous - I'll pass on your compliments regarding the color choice to my customer.

Sandra and Darlene - I just called my customer for information on the pattern. She told me that the original pattern was published in the November 1999 issue of Quilters Newsletter Magazine (#317) - so maybe you have this issue in your magazine stash... I may have to look for this back issue as well...

Best, Birgit

Thanks Birgit...

I emailed a good friend of mine that has the biggest stash of magazines of anyone I know, so I'm crossing my fingers that she has this copy.

How ironic...Quilters Newsletter has never been one of my favourites but maybe I'd better take a closer look!

There are way too many beautiful quilts just calling my name and not enough time anymore to work on personal projects. At the moment, Fons and Porters magazine is my favourite and the new cover quilt has me drooling. I just might have to order the kit for myself as an early Christmas present. I asked my husband what he thought of the quilt and he said it didn't matter to him cause he sleeps with his eyes closed! I figure ~ I like that attitude, it kind of gives me freedom to pick the quilt I prefer, right?

Have a good day.........Sandra

I'm frustrated! I have copies of QNM up to #313 and then continuing from #334! Does anyone have a copy of #317 they're willing to trade? I have 2 copies of #273 which features Judy Dales, and an article by Ellie Sienkiewicz. It's entitled A Quiltmaker's Workshop - Fusible Applique Finished with a Flourish. The Photo Finish quilt on the last page is also by Judy Dales, called Spirit Flight.

Can you tell I WANT the Maple Leaf pattern?! Please! :D

Darlene....

Fret no more !!! ( I think!) I had a message from my friend who stockpiles magazines and she says she has it! She's at work now (poor girl!) but I'll talk to her later. Hopefully it's the right one and not a false alarm...

Email me your address and when I get a photo-copy made for myself I'll also do one for you and send it. croley@linetap.com

Have you tried painting fabric with Pebeo paints? I think the results of this technique could possibly make a nice quilt like this. There is a wonderful book that goes into detail on fabric (sun) painting, I think it's called "Fabric Painting off the Shelf", something like that anyway. I digress.....

happy quilting.........Sandra

Eureka!!! A friend of mine had given me a whole slew of quilting magazines that she didn't want....I, in turn, went through them and gave the unwanted ones to another friend. When I saw the leaves in this quilt, I really wanted that pattern as I am wanting to do a leaf quilt. I figured that I had probably given that magazine away, but low and behold I found it this afternoon. So, if it is legal, I can get it copied and send a copy of the pattern to anyone who wants it. (Is it legal?) I'm so excited!

The web site for Simply Quilts has what looks like the same maple leaf block. Go to "view all episodes" and scroll to episode QLT-703 for instructions. This episode was aired just last week and the whole quilt was lovely. Have fun!

Linda Rech

Olympia, Wa.

Birgit,

The quilt is amazing. I am new to long-arm quilting (I've done one quilt so far) and to this board (I've been lurking for a bit). One question, did you use different colors on the flying geese? The picture of the back looks like the "up" ones are one thread and the "down" ones are another. Is that hard to keep track of while you are quilting?

Also, you can get back issues of QNM on their website http://qnm.com/backissue/ and all issues from 1999 are available except Jan/Feb and July/Aug. Hope those aren't the one you are looking for.

Leslie

Thank you Leslie,

You are correct, I used a variegated top thread for the "up" geese and the leaves and solid black for the "down" geese and the background.

First, I quilted all the variegated areas all the way down. As this quilting had securely connected the top to the batting/backing, I unpinned the top from the quilt top leader and re-rolled the entire thing onto the quilt back roller. The I started the second quilting run for all the areas I wanted to use the black thread on.

However, as I'm still pretty new to LA quilting, too (this was my third customer quilt only) I have no idea if this is the way "you do this". It seemed to be the logical way for me. And I didn't have any problems wit puckers of folds - neither on the top nor on the back.

I'll probably look into ordering that Now. 1999 back issue of QNM...

Happy stitching,

Birgit

Archived