California Quilters

Not wanting to slight anyone, but was wondering from those of you who have businesses in our beautiful state, what hoops do I have to/should jump through to start things off in the right direction?

Just wondering between you, me and the fence post about licensing, tax I.D. # for wholesale purchases etc. need it/don't need it. Should have it....

What has worked for you?

Thanks so much:D

Hi

I'm from Arizona and am starting my own on-line fabric shop, so I just got my federal tax number. Any wholesale supplier will require it in order to sell to you. A word of warning...if you just search for the tax number site, there are a few ads out there by people who will get it for you for a fee. Stay away. Go to the IRS site and apply on line and they give you a number instantly at no charge. Then you'll receive your confirmation in the mail. As to a business license here in Phoenix, all I needed was a Tax License that allows me to collect taxes on whatever I sell. Due to pro-rating, it cost me $41 which included the app fee. Just check out all the government websites...they're very helpful, at least here in Arizona and at the IRS.

In the long run, it's much easier to have it and not worry about it, than to try to run a business and the whole time wondering if someone's looking over your shoulder.

Good luck with the business. It certainly is fun and exciting to be starting out. My first inventory shipment should be here soon and it feels like the Holidays.

Gillian

Hi Charlotte,

I have a Calif. resale number only, you get it from the St Board of Equalization, real easy, go the website and download the forms. Depending on your projected sales they may require a deposit but I didn't have to give any $$$ in advance, (projected a low sales volume to start). This is all I have ever needed in order to buy wholesale, don't know anything about a Fed ID #. You will be required to do an annual sales report, so collect tax and then remit to the state with your report

If you are looking for business you can start with your local guild and I sugest making up business cards and have with you at all times. I have obtained business standing in line at a theater, restuarants and church, so be friendly. Then take samples of your work to the local quilt shops and see if they will give out your cards, check and see if they have a LA machine first and are doing quilts themselves as some shops do, they probably won't be open to helping you.

There is already a lot of advice on previous post about dealing with the customer after they bring there quilt, so search and review these posts as they are so helpful on avoiding pit falls.

Hope this helps.

Hester Mastro

:cool:

• 7 months later...

Found out yesterday that there are 315 known LA'ers in California!! There are actually more than that, becuz' my name and the name of 4 friends of mine who are in business are not on that list. anyhoo, I am wondering how long it takes to get customers? I have just barely started and am doing everything I know to do, so I am sure it will happen at some point, but what do you think people want to see before they will take a chance on a newbie? Especially here in CA, where, by the way, there are the MOST LA'ers...

Ladies one way to get going in your business is to join in on a class at your LQS. Finish your quilt and take it into the class so everyone will see your work. Work of mouth is huge as we all know. Be positive and keep adding to you skills. PPP Classes are very important in learning new things. If you get one duh moment in a class, the class is worth your money. Enter shows, show and tell at guilds meetings are a great way for people to see your work. Everyone finds their on niche.

On the tax issues. Always check with your local government on the rules and regulations. Get a tax ID number to be able to purchase your supplies at wholesale. If there is a min order and you can't make it team up with a fellow longarmer and split on order. If you are doing this for a business do it with all the correct information. It may save you headaches in the long run. Every state is different.

Myrna

I could be way wrong (and I surely know nothing about CA requirements) but my undestanding is the Federal license is for employment taxes. If you're going to have employees, you will need to go through with the Federal ID number. I've had business licenses in TX, LA and KY and have never had a Federal ID number.

In my opinion, it is much better to get ALL the necessary licenses and pay all the required fees and not have to worry about getting in trouble with the government agencies.

Thanks, Myrna for your advice. I have not taken a class yet, so that is one I can do. What is a "PPP" class? My next guild show is not until 2007, but I will show more work at guild. Onlty thing is you have to MAKE the quilts first!!! It looks like there are a million things to do and they are all equally important. Make and quilt your own quilts to show, do samples (did this) go to shops (doing this) enter shows (when available) create a website (in process) advertise in guild newsletters (doing this), on and on. I'm not complaining, mind you, just sharing what I have been up to. I think I am really impatient. I have only had the machine since November.

Archived